What was supposed to have been connected here

@nders

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, going through my FZ6 that I just bought the other daym waiting for a new ECU to arrive.
Going through it, it saw these two connectors behind the left rear fairing. Does anyone know what they are for and what should be connected. All light and blinker on the back are already connected elsewhere and working fine, so it is not them...

2vnqrzc.jpg

25oyqu1.jpg

--
Best regards
Anders

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, going through my FZ6 that I just bought the other daym waiting for a new ECU to arrive.
Going through it, it saw these two connectors behind the left rear fairing. Does anyone know what they are for and what should be connected. All light and blinker on the back are already connected elsewhere and working fine, so it is not them...

2vnqrzc.jpg

25oyqu1.jpg

--
Best regards
Anders
I'm not home right now, I can look at my bike when I get home in about an hour. Randy or Scott will probably see this sooner.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2009 S2, I think the wiring should be the same. It looks to be part of the taillight/signal connections. Do all of your lights work? Was it plugged into something already?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just pulled the "POD" off the left side.

My US version, does NOT have it.

It may very well have something to do with the immobilzer(I think you have one, in the US, we don't)..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like it may be a a loop. Either the loop is removed or a specific resistance is plugged in for a particular function. For example with the loop plugged in you may not adjust CO settings on the ECM but with the loop removed you may have access to the CO adjustment through the user interface mode on the instrument cluster. Or some other function but still it looks correct as a factory type harness plug. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
US bikes don't have that. Best we can do is a scouting mission if you provide the wire colors. As noted above, sealed with OEM moisture proof plugs, its OEM and critical to operation. Most connections on the bike that will take it out of operation have connections through moisture resistant plug.

If you want to know more, I'll look or you can peak here with a simple search. Off hand. I'd let it go. Its likely not affecting anything.

There are online viewers of the FSM for your model and year. Take a look if you want to see where it goes.
You have ABS? If so, I suspect it may be for reading data from the ABS unit but IDK.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same connectors- only realised when I changed the exhaust and took the whole rear end of the bike, then I saw it all again when I upgraded to led tail lights and added the hyper lights- now thats a worthy mod!!!!

anyway back to topic- it doesnt seem to do anything if you dont mess with it--- not much help I know!

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
uk model - I also have these and wondered what they are for. As has been said, it has nothing to do with rear lights as all of mine are stock and all work. My only guess would be maybe it's for some sort of diagnostic?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eu model S2 (Dutch)ABS has it, I actually used to use 2 of the pins in the square plug as a switched 12v for my sat nav (can't remember which pins), nowadays I use a direct connection to the battery (as I find it handy to set everything up before you set off).

Last edited:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its got a blank so don't worry, but if like me that answer isn't good enough, and this is going to tear you apart inside until you find out, I feel your pain. :confused::confused::confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have an electrical schematic with the color codes for the EU model? What color are the wires?

The Yamaha color schematics with component list I have works really well for me.

If someone can get the schematic and component list to me I think I may be able to give an answer. :)

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
All this madness for a dummy connector that isn't affecting your bike in any way? lol. :cheer:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All this madness for a dummy connector that isn't affecting your bike in any way? lol. :cheer:

I hear you brother! Lol!
From this thread I believe one person used the plug but without knowing what it leads to you could damage a channel in the ECU or some other sensor using it with out actually knowing it's purpose or possible shared circuit.

I'd like to know what it is because I spend time with trouble shooting on the forum. :)

Things I think about are the EU models use an immobilizer and some have ABS brakes. The photo posted by the OP shows the sub frame from the S-1 (04-06) model FZ6 and I don't think there was an ABS model then. That might lead me to think it's immobilizer related. Without knowing it's path we're just guessing but knowing may give us more knowledge about alternative uses like for a convenient switched power source to drive a relay etc. :) :rockon:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff you are right, I shouldn't have used the plug without knowing what it was connected to, but I figured it was a switched 12v (measured with a dmm) the GPS draws little current and it has a seperate fuse. It would have been safer to use a relay. I had (unsuccessfully) tried to locate this plug in the schematics beforehand.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its btw a 2007 S1 ABS model :)

^^ you all catch this part?

According to the connector layout diagram - no abs connector plugs are in the rear fairing pods.... But the info I have is S2 up not S1...

[MENTION=673]Cloggy[/MENTION] did you see the fused adapter I found? It allows you to piggy back a standard fuse to another standard fuse so no cutting or splicing. Its in a sticky in the electrical parts thread.