What to check after a drop?

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike coming out of the offce parking lot today. :mad::mad::mad:
There is a ramp coming off and then the driveway dips quickly to go to the street. I was taking a left. As I came down I slowed down and started to turn and then I saw the oncoming car. I stopped hard with the front brakes while the wheel was turned a little to the left - so slowly but surely the bike went down. If I was alert I could have cauhgt it by putting my foot down.
No hurt except for a bruise where the right leg hit the sliders and a little scrape on the left knee and of course big time bruised ego!
I wasnt paying attention and when I saw the car, with the wheel turning used the front brake hard and didnt have my feet down - effect a quick kiss from mother earth (or concrete really).
I hit the switch, got up, collected my tossed up tank bag, and got the bike up. That was a chore since I was on a down slope, getting the bike up and getting the foot rest to hold was not easy. I think it would have been easier if I had the bike in gear. (And since i was on the left side lifting it up, I coulnt reach the brakes real easily either!!)
But finally I was on the bike and riding again, mad at myself for not paying atention.
Visual inspection does not show much except for a smll crack on the left tail light. But its not bad the light still seems to work.
The question is - I think the bike is now running a litle rough and gear change sounds rough too. What should I be checking? Any wheel alignment etc that could be thrown off?

Last edited:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so about the drop, but the most important thing is you are ok. Next, the bike, lucky the light was the only thing wrong. As far as the rough ride, i cant think of anything. Ride around for a bit see if error code comes up on the display other then that you should be fine. when the bike goes on its side the fluids could go a little wacko, so ounce things level out you should be fine. Someone else will chime in and give you better or more advice.

S

sportrider

if it fell over as easy as it sounds, it should be okay. make sure to check the lever and perch on the side that went down for damage (cracks and such) you wouldn't want to have a lever break off in you hand just as you need it. as far as chain alignment I can't see that getting knocked out in that way. check your rear brake lever and linkage just in case, but I think your probably okay. any "new" noises your now hearing were probably already there its just because of your spill your just now noticing them.

if your not at all comfortable with anything take your bike to an authorized repair facility and have them give it the once over.

sorry about your bike:Sport:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
with a slow fall like that there is not really anything that can happen, as far as the rough running or shifting it could be some fluids pooling in unfamiliar places and they should drain back down, or it could just be in your head, i always make up things wrong when something out of the ordinary.

H

HavBlue

with a slow fall like that there is not really anything that can happen, as far as the rough running or shifting it could be some fluids pooling in unfamiliar places and they should drain back down, or it could just be in your head, i always make up things wrong when something out of the ordinary.

What to check? Your wallet and be sure you have plastic........ giggle, giggle

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I rechecked the bike again - looks like a little scrape on the mirror and a small almost unnoticeable crack on the turn signal otherwise exevrything seems ok. Slider seems to have done its job good!
All electricals and fluids look normal too.
So back on the rioad again.
Thank you God for this relatively inexpensive lesson, now I also know how to pick the bike up (not that I intend to use i! again)
And thank you all for your help.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would also say that if there is no visible damage, bring it back to the stealer and tell them it souds a little funny.