What RPM?

charicner

Reaction score
Visit site
Ijust got my '07 new and after some experimenting I think I like the way the bike feels at around 5-6000 and im still in my breakin period, so i dont go to much above that

H

HavBlue

Ijust got my '07 new and after some experimenting I think I like the way the bike feels at around 5-6000 and im still in my breakin period, so i dont go to much above that

Welcome and have fun...

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright gang I put mine to a short test (sort of) yesterday....I normally drive it like a cruiser- low RPM and quick shifts. Rarely let it see anything over 8K and have yet to see anything over 10K. I decided to try it for a short duration at higher RPM's and see how it (and I) felt...Ran it about 8K for seven or eight miles and I must say it was definately "loaded" and ready if I needed it...Sadly, for me to stick in that RPM range for 24-28mi daily commute just seems like I'm overworking the engine. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get over the mental block of exploding pistons and hot oil down my calf muscle.....Only have 3500mi on it so perhaps that will come with time.

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright gang I put mine to a short test (sort of) yesterday....I normally drive it like a cruiser- low RPM and quick shifts. Rarely let it see anything over 8K and have yet to see anything over 10K. I decided to try it for a short duration at higher RPM's and see how it (and I) felt...Ran it about 8K for seven or eight miles and I must say it was definately "loaded" and ready if I needed it...Sadly, for me to stick in that RPM range for 24-28mi daily commute just seems like I'm overworking the engine. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get over the mental block of exploding pistons and hot oil down my calf muscle.....Only have 3500mi on it so perhaps that will come with time.

Coming from a cruiser background myself, I can totally relate on making the transition. That being said, the FZ6 can run happily at 8k-12k all day long, without you having to worry about blowing your engine to hell. These bikes are made to be ridden in this fashion.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thankful for the posts that I've found here, this one included. I tend to short shift when I'm casually riding, or when I have my gf on the back. She hates it when I accelerate to fast. I have a Jeep that is a stick and I tend to keep the RMP's low so my ear is accustom to the sound of the engine. I do the same thing with my FZ6, I've noticed that it sounds like it's really screaming when your not even close to getting to the power band. I like to 'tac it out' from time to time and I know with engines in general it's good to up the RPM's to clear it out from time to time. Low RPM's all the time can foul up your plugs. (I know this is true with car engines. I've seen it with my own eyes.)

-PD

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
i remember when riding dirt bikes that keeping it in high rpm's was actually better for the engine or you'll foul the spark plug. i thought with a motorcycle it would be the same. running it opposite of a car unless obviously your conserving the fuel, in which case it would be just like with your car, at low rpm's. i'm still yet waiting to awake the beast as i have been keeping it below 7-8k rpm's for it's break-in period. it does really feel smooth as it gets higer tho.

btw, is it normal for a gear to fall when you go to change it and the bike just rev's without being in gear until it goes back in or you shift it back in? is that just from not shifting up hard enough with my foot?

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site

btw, is it normal for a gear to fall when you go to change it and the bike just rev's without being in gear until it goes back in or you shift it back in? is that just from not shifting up hard enough with my foot?

I've had this happen when shifting from 1st to 2nd, where I hit neutral instead of second. It is kind of embarrassing when it happens because I do everything else like I was in gear and end up rocketing the engine without going anywhere. It also calls attention to me. I'd say if your experiencing this in any other gear change then you might have a problem. I'm no expert, but that don't sound right.

-PD

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Ok, thanks. Pretty much what I suspected. Basically, I'm not doing it any harm by short shifting and keeping the revs low and I'll probably be improving my gas mileage as well. Sweet. I'll save the high revs for the A roads and those times I need to beat some wanker off the line at a light. :)

I had the opposite effect...I short shifted and rode 6th gear at 40mph...now I ride up to 4th gear and use a little thing of 0-20 = 1st, 20-30 = 2nd, 30-40 = 3rd, etc....my gas mileage went UP by NOT shifting early with low rpms because I THINK the engine worked harder when I accelerated in such a low gear....I think...

anyways, I always get better fuel economy carving canyons at 8-12K RPM than in the city running 3-6K RPM....weird...

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to keep mine between 5,500 and 6,500 when riding in the city...especially coming into lights and when in traffic because even with only 2600 miles on mine i've had two close calls where not having the "giddy up" when I needed it would have left me dead or close to it. The most recent one being a triple trailer gravel truck that rolled a stop sign right out in front of me with a big SUV right on my ass and a car sitting right next to me. Thankfully a quick twist of the throttle and I rocketed past the car next to me in just enough time to clear the cab of the truck and flip off the trucker, but had I been glugging along at 4 grand on my tack I woulda ended up a dent in the back of this trailer or as an aftermarket skid plate under that SUV. high revs on sportbikes is a good thing....you bought a crotch rocket so ride it like one! :rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day folks. Only new to the fuel injection game and never had a revvy bike before so it's good to know I've got it right:thumbup:. I like to change between 6 and 8 grand around town as that well and truly gives you a buffer between you and the drivers around you. For cruising revs once out in front 5500 seems about right as the fuel mapping is staged at the edge of another power band (or seems like it to me) so she's ready to scream and launch at a moments notice. Just love the way these power bands keep coming all the way up until your smile hits your ears on either side...lol.:rockon: Just a shame about all those cars and speed signs. Ah well.
Cheers
Mike

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know - around town/in traffic, I tend to hand out at around 4-6K too, just in case I see an "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" truck/car/suv coming up on me.

Frankly, though - the bike still scares the mortal crap out of me above 8-10K RPMs.. I know in my head it can do it, and also realize it's MADE to be that rev-happy... but my ex has moved out, and I don't like washing my own bacon strips out of me underwears! :D

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Good to know - around town/in traffic, I tend to hand out at around 4-6K too, just in case I see an \"objects in mirror are closer than they appear\" truck/car/suv coming up on me.

Frankly, though - the bike still scares the mortal crap out of me above 8-10K RPMs.. I know in my head it can do it, and also realize it's MADE to be that rev-happy... but my ex has moved out, and I don't like washing my own bacon strips out of me underwears! :D

Give it time. Your comfort zone will adjust over time. Before you know it, 8-10K will be a walk in the park. I've been there, so I know what you mean. :thumbup:

X

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
In the mornings headed towards work I shift at 5-6k. In the evenings coming home from work I shift at 8-10k. The difference.... traffic. I get tired of switching gears every second.

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
My commute is mainly 2 lane county roads. Speed limit is 55, traffic is usually cruising at 60 - 65. I guess my new FZ has about 2 gears too many. In sixth and at 70 mph, I am turning about 5500 rpm. When I come upon someone who is actually doing the speed limit, I can still pass them without shifting down. The bike will get to 80 from 60 faster than any car I have driven. Sometimes I will shift down for the fun of it, but I don't feel the bike is lacking power at 6000 rpm. At least not in any sane/ legal sense. I guess I could ride around at 8 - 10 krpm, but why? As for the shifting points, I admit I generally shift at 4 - 5 krpm. This is my first street bike. Maybe when I get more confidence or bored (doubtful), I will wring it out.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
After owning my bike a little over a month, and just breaking out of the 1000 mi break-in period, I'm finding myself pushing the rev's higher and my overall riding experience getting better. From shifting to roll-on throttle response, it just seems to perform better from 6-8K.

I say let 'er rev & rip! (responsibly! ;))

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Powerband: Fz6 vs r1

I've started paying close attention to the Fizzer's midrange power band. To us that translates to around 10-12K RPM. On the freeways I try to stay in the 5th gear which keeps me in that range. I too am hooked, the bike seems very smooth, changing lanes and passing cars is almost effortless in that range. I must admit I love it!:rockon:

Other's have mentioned that in the twisties its important to stay in the power band, now I know what it means. Just curious, most liter bikes have the power band in the higher RPM zone. What is the power band zone on an R1?

Sportrider, InkRediBoy care to share some input here?

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Being as I've only been riding a couple months, I too tend to shift in the 4-5K range. Sometimes lower, but that's a rare thing indeed and depends on where I am. If I'm out on open road or i need to oomph, i'll rev it higher and shift in the 6K area till i hit 4th or so. One thing i have noticed, is out on open road, i'll be in 6th doing 65mph and i'm barely giving it throttle so i tend to get myself in trouble and wonder why all of a sudden i'm kissing 80 :D