What number is your adjustable shock set to?

What number is your adjustable shock set to?

• Total voters

Lewy

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday all i have had my fz for some time and always had it set to 3 (standard) setting. As i have just joined this site and found this thread i have now up it to 6 as i am a heavy bloke i way 110kg, 242 lbs and man did it make a difference the bike is so much better to ride now.
Any way have a good night

Lewy

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my on factory 3, then moved it to 4. Finally settled on 5. I am 6 ft tall and weigh just under 220 lbs. I kinda liked the softer feel on 4; but I can see how 5 can be better for cornering.

Still working on improving my leans. :Sport:

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 175-180lbs without gear on. I had my suspension adjusted (R6 forks on the front) at a well reputed shop in Washington, NJ. They walked me through what they were doing. My rear preload was set on 4 with 34mm of sag. After adjustment it was on 4 with 34mm of sag... whoo pretty much right.

There's an article on motorcyclenews.co.uk which shows you how to measure and set your sag with the aid of a friend or two... definately look it up.

for those that care the front was at 44mm sag with 6 or 7 lines of preload showing... they went down to 4 lines for a sag of 38mm. apparently one of my compression adjusters is busted but it was in the ball park so they just tuned the two sides simarly. Also the rebound adjusters were screwed all the way in and it still pogo'd. they think whoever had the forks earlier may have put the caps back in wrong... while the rebound/compression isn't perfect, there's a decent improvement with tracking over bumps. Also with the adjustment in preload sag, the bike still feels planted, but turns a bit quicker (which is somethign I've been wanting/working on) Since they couldn't get the rebound/compression right, they did the adjustments for free... normally it's $35. For anyone in the Tristate area, I recommend checking out Washington Cycle Works. The owner Ron is a great guy and knows his stuff.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to put my setting up from 5 to 6 tomorrow as I want to feel the tyre doing a bit more. I still have a little bit of a vague feeling when I tip the bike in hard.
Will let you know how I get on.

Nelly

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After moving it from 4 to 5 to ride two up I've left it there. It seems to be more evenly balanced with the Race Tech springs in the fork now. Where as before I thought I might need to reduce my preload spacer on the fork to make it work with number 4. I think it is about right now. I weigh 175 w/o gear and beer.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'10 , ~255 in gear. Changed mine to 6 around a week after I bought the bike. Was taking a 180 turn onramp onto an interstate at 3, gassed it hard comming out of the corner and her ass was all over the place. Putting it to 6 fixed that right up. Yeah I have to standup on the pegs some places on the really ****ty roads around here, but at least the rear end of my bike is planted.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After adjusting up to 6 I found that my rear tyre was much warmer to touch after my 20 minute ride home. I am talking very warm, I didn't notice much difference in the overall handling. Yesterday was also warmish 15C on the way home. I have ridden at 15C previously at settings 3 and 5. I am also not sure if I am riding a bit harder than last year as I am now used to the bike.
6 feels good to me so I am going to keep it there.

Nelly

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm 6'2" and 97kg with no gear so I bumped mine up to 5 to see how that felt and I really like it. I'm going riding with the Mrs. tomorrow night, so I'm going the 'whole hog' and take it up to 7 and see how it feels with (and without) a pillion.

Now... to sort out the front end.

gbmoney007

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's set at 3 now, but I weigh over 200 pounds w/ gear. I was thinking about going up to 4, but I'm only 5' 6" and wasn't sure if that will change my seat height too much. Anybody know about that?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's set at 3 now, but I weigh over 200 pounds w/ gear. I was thinking about going up to 4, but I'm only 5' 6" and wasn't sure if that will change my seat height too much. Anybody know about that?
No it wont mate, I am 5'6" and mine is set to 6. It alters it a little but not hugely.
Give it a go and feel the difference.

Nelly

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'2" and 97kg with no gear so I bumped mine up to 5 to see how that felt and I really like it. I'm going riding with the Mrs. tomorrow night, so I'm going the 'whole hog' and take it up to 7 and see how it feels with (and without) a pillion.

Now... to sort out the front end.

Gotta do the front end, just springs and you will be a happy camper, especially two up.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is set to 1 I am 5'4"ish, and I need all the lowering I can get(without affecting the handling) Getting the comfort seat for my birthday so maybe then I can reset it to 3. I'll let you know

Boo

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
It never even occured to me to adjust the thing! As a new rider, I figured that would be for a passenger or track day. I weigh 225 sans clothes (who weighs in full riding gear?), so I'm bumping it to 5 first chance I get. :thumbup:

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I found an unexpected benefit. Comfort seems the same and I haven't ridden any twisties to comment on control (though I am new to MCs and not very aggressive anyway), but the immediate benefit is under heavy acceleration. At 3, by the time i hit say 12K for a shift to second, the bike had settled so far back as to rock substantially forward at the shift point. Kinda scary, but being new, I didn't know any better. Now, at 5, no rocking back, just rocketing forward! Man, this is going to cost me a ticket.