What model FZ6 have I bought?

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
Sorry to start with a dumb question but about to take possession of a an 2007 FZ6S. (deposit only at the moment).

What this about FZ6 S2? The S2 bit? I know what it means but what have I put my money on? :confused:

I'm in Australia. The manual says FZ6 SHGW and that all I really have. There are no max power specification shown.

Hope you can help.

RickyB

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new here so Im not 100% on this but basically from what I know the S2 has the exhausts up under the seat. The older FZ6 has the exhaust at the side.

the fazer model has the R6 style cowel on the front.

Hope this helps

RickyB:thumbup:

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
I am fairly certain of this. In the US, the 2004-2006 models are the original fz6 model and the 2007 models have a revised faring and the updated instrument panel, and a vent at the tip of the windscreen. In Europe things are a little different. There is a fz6, a fz6 fazer, a fz6 s2 and a fz6 s2 fazer. The non s2 models are the lower hp model and the fazer models have a faring. regardless of which one you bought, it really matters not. if you have the lower hp model all you have to do is bend back a little tab on the throttle that is a stop to keep it from coming all the way open and it is instantly converted to the higher hp model. The newer instrument panel is nice, mostly due to the needle tachometer instead of the old digital one, but you will love either one.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
regardless of which one you bought, it really matters not. if you have the lower hp model all you have to do is bend back a little tab on the throttle that is a stop to keep it from coming all the way open and it is instantly converted to the higher hp model.

They really take that low tech of an approach to creating a lower output model??? I figured they would at minimal tweak computer...

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
Thanks for the replies. Its just so confusing, but ironman's understanding is also mine. I just don't want a de-tuned FZ6 which is a detuned "FZ6" which is a de-tuned R6. I want that 72KW not the 57KW straight up without having to "bend back a little tab" principally because that's what I thought I'd bought.
But thanks for the tip.

PS They've just "introduced" the "new" XJ6 which uses the detune FZ6 in a different frame, etc. It just goes on and on ........:shakehead:

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io

Yes I see that, but what have I got and how do I tell apart from putting it on a dyno? (see below)

Model Year 2007, 2008, 2009
Engine Type 600 cc, liquid-cooled, inline 4-cylinder
Bore/Stroke 65.5 x 44.5 mm
Compression Ratio 12.1:1

57 kW (77 PS) (76HP) @ 11,500 rpm for Standard version,

72 kW (98 PS) (97HP) @ 12,000 rpm for S2 version.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Its just so confusing, but ironman's understanding is also mine. I just don't want a de-tuned FZ6 which is a detuned "FZ6" which is a de-tuned R6. I want that 72KW not the 57KW straight up without having to "bend back a little tab" principally because that's what I thought I'd bought.
But thanks for the tip.

PS They've just "introduced" the "new" XJ6 which uses the detune FZ6 in a different frame, etc. It just goes on and on ........:shakehead:

Actually not quite.

The FZ6 engine is a revised previous generation R6 engine, revised in that it may have less peak hp, but is more streetable. There is also a model that uses this engine with a throttle stop, to limit peak hp.

The XJ6 is a comlpetely separate revision of the previous generation R6 engine, for fewer rpms, more useable torque, and ridability.

It's not that one is detuned, then detuned again, then detuned again.

Basically that engine they had made for the R6 was a good engine, so they have made variations of it to use in different applications. Sort of like GM using essentially the same block for years and years on their 302, 305, 327, and 350 engines. Just different variations for different tasks.

Last edited:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I see that, but what have I got and how do I tell apart from putting it on a dyno? (see below)

Model Year 2007, 2008, 2009
Engine Type 600 cc, liquid-cooled, inline 4-cylinder
Bore/Stroke 65.5 x 44.5 mm
Compression Ratio 12.1:1

57 kW (77 PS) (76HP) @ 11,500 rpm for Standard version,

72 kW (98 PS) (97HP) @ 12,000 rpm for S2 version.

If you take a close look at the fairings and swingarms you can see that they're not quite the same. The 78 hp version looks like the pre 2007 fz6. So if you have a 2007 and it looks like the S2 you have 98 hp.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
I'm in Australia. The manual says FZ6 SHGW and that all I really have. There are no max power specification shown.
Hope you can help.

This HG only has the S2 variant.
The only thing I didn't know yet is why the australians get a special, the W version. If anybody know for what the W (australian versions) stands, I would like to know it.

Best Regards
Robert

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
They really take that low tech of an approach to creating a lower output model??? I figured they would at minimal tweak computer...

One thing is more to to. You need one moew cable at the ECU (i think a cable to ground/mass). Then you habe the 98HP.

BR Robert

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
the easiest way to spot the difference between S2(98HP) and plain(78HP) is to check the instrument panel.
the S2, has the FZ1 instrument panel with a ANALOGUE tachymeter and the Digital speedometer.
the plain version has the green multi-instrument with digital speedo, and digital tach around it.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
the easiest way to spot the difference between S2(98HP) and plain(78HP) is to check the instrument panel.
the S2, has the FZ1 instrument panel with a ANALOGUE tachymeter and the Digital speedometer.
the plain version has the green multi-instrument with digital speedo, and digital tach around it.

Thanks. It all points to an S2. Analogue Tacho and Digital Speedo. Plus all the other things you have all mentioned.
Thanks again. :thumbup:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the "older" version, but still has 98 bhp. I don't think Yamaha altered the engine performance on this variant until the end of 2006. Then it got degraded as the S2 version came out.

The versions that are available atm is:

FZ6 S2 ABS - 98bhp
FZ6N ABS - 98bhp
FZ6 S2 - 98bhp
FZ6N - 98bhp
FZ6S - 78bhp
FZ6N - 78bhp

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
I got the "older" version, but still has 98 bhp. I don't think Yamaha altered the engine performance on this variant until the end of 2006. Then it got degraded as the S2 version came out.

The versions that are available atm is:

FZ6 S2 ABS - 98bhp
FZ6N ABS - 98bhp
FZ6 S2 - 98bhp
FZ6N - 98bhp
FZ6S - 78bhp
FZ6N - 78bhp
..And... Where is the Norwegian flag??

Here: :aus: ;)