What material sounds better for aftermarket exhaust?

Does one of the following materials used for constructing the aftermarket exhaust sound better than

• Carbon

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Titanium

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Aluminum

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • They all sound the same, and the only real difference is aesthetics

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • They all sound the same, and the difference is not only aesthetics, but how fast the heat dissipates

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

Mike2195

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a fz6 and was wondering about getting the LeoVince exhaust but do i have to buy two or does it come with dual exhaust? probably a dumb question but im a new rider so whatever.

Mahayama

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2006 with Leo Vince exhausts installed. I didn't even know what they were at the time, but my buddy who rides an F4 Honda seemed quite jealous of the sound when he first fired my bike up! I was just happy to find a low mileage, well maintained bike - the windshield and exhaust mods were icing on the cake!

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read an interesting blurb from the Two Brothers website tonight, and they state the exhaust canister material does not change the sound, only the aesthetics. See the excerpt below. I wonder if other manufactures would make the same claim?

--begin excerpt:

Exhaust Canister Materials
Regardless of sleeve material or shape, all of our canisters perform and sound the same. We manufacture our exhaust systems from different materials to allow you to best match our canister to your bike.

Two Brothers Racing: High Performance Motorcycle Exhaust Systems And Aftermarket Accessories, M2R Exhaust, Street Bike Parts, Race Exhaust Systems, Motorcycle Parts, Sport Bike Parts, Full Exhaust Systems, juice box pro, jason britton

I think in order to make that claim they would need to prove it so its CHEAPER and easier to say its aesthetics but the internal design is the same for all their cans same with all brands im sure it varies slightly but i dont think you will notice it,

IMHO just buy the first set of cans you find at a good price you probably will never find the brand and type you want at the right price before you fall off your dinosaur.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the LV stainless mufflers and link pipe on my 05 for about 3,000 kms now. I removed the DB killer when I installed them. They sound awesome...I mean really awesome...

I've had dozens of bikes, GSXR's, Blades, ZXR's, R1's all with aftermarket pipes. My 06 R1 has a full titanium Akrapovic race system, and a race tuned engine.

The FZ6 sounds better than any of them! The fact that one of the two mufflers is basically just an echo chamber really helps. It barely flows any gas, it just doubles the noise. I love it.

DSCF0014-12_zps7db8b272.jpg

As far as materials go, in my experience carbon mufflers tend to produce a softer sound, metal mufflers produce a sharper, raspier sound regardless of the type of metal. :thumbup:

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
i agree with the FZ6 having an awesome note due to the second can,. Every bike i have owned has had an exhaust system and nothing sounded like the FZ6.

I have a set of Remus cans on mine and i have never heard anything like it before, nice and deep down low and really throaty and loud up high, and they spit flames if pushing really hard :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Stainless for me. I paid 50% less than the higher end exhausts go for on the FZ6 and couldn't be happier with my Scorpions.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my dreams I have a full Ti exhaust because 1) It's incredibly light compared to steel and 2) Ti is supposed to be corrosion resistant.

From what I've read, a full Ti exhaust conversion from steel can drop pretty substantial weight -- I'd inferred 10-15 lbs, but that is just a guess on my part. I am a weight weenie when it comes to motorcycles, since lower weight often means better handling, and our lives depend on being able to maneuver our bikes.

Other than that, my first reaction was the same as Moto Giro's -- it's the internals. Different exterior designs may facilitate a different internal design that sounds different.

bombadillo

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to go 4 into 1 exhaust but still kept it under the tail on the FZ? I'd like to try a big single can under the tail one of these days.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to go 4 into 1 exhaust but still kept it under the tail on the FZ? I'd like to try a big single can under the tail one of these days.
Personally, I hate the look of a single can under the tail. If you do a single, make it side-out. That would be awesome.