Status
Not open for further replies.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Which oil?!?

Last, if you're in Italy, use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You only need to change it every 11th lb of pasta!

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
oil cange What a difference

Well I just changed my oil for the first time(by myself) and what a difference.:rockon:. One little supprise thou, when I went to remove the oil filter. I have read alot on here how the filters can be very tight and somewhat hard to get off. Well when I went to remove mine I took a deep breath readying myself to use all my might to get it off and :eek: it came of very, very easily. Almost to easy, I probably could have taken it off just with my hand.

Anyways, I put a Pure One 12 on it since it was blue and the other(10) is a gold color and Rotella 15-40 dino.

Shifting is alot smoother and the engine seems to run alot smoother :D

Now it might just be me but it seems to have a little bit more pick-up to it. Has anyone else felt a little bit more pick-up after you changed you're oil?

This was it's 4000 mile change so i'm quess the last time it was changed was maybe at 1k mile or so, but i'm not for sure.

The oil was a dark brown color not black by any means but a pretty dark brown.

J.:Sport:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: oil cange What a difference

Well I just changed my oil for the first time(by myself) and what a difference.:rockon:. One little supprise thou, when I went to remove the oil filter. I have read alot on here how the filters can be very tight and somewhat hard to get off. Well when I went to remove mine I took a deep breath readying myself to use all my might to get it off and :eek: it came of very, very easily. Almost to easy, I probably could have taken it off just with my hand.

Anyways, I put a Pure One 12 on it since it was blue and the other(10) is a gold color and Rotella 15-40 dino.

Shifting is alot smoother and the engine seems to run alot smoother :D

Now it might just be me but it seems to have a little bit more pick-up to it. Has anyone else felt a little bit more pick-up after you changed you're oil?

This was it's 4000 mile change so i'm quess the last time it was changed was maybe at 1k mile or so, but i'm not for sure.

The oil was a dark brown color not black by any means but a pretty dark brown.

J.:Sport:
I changed mine to Rotella with a PureOne at 150 miles and I also noticed a heck of a difference, much smoother. I don't know if the pickup was much better, I wasn't comfortable really pushing the bike yet so I didn't try. When I took it in for the 600 miles service I let the dealer put Yamalube in it, way bad decision. Lots more vibration and shifting isn't as smooth. I'll be going back to Rotella next change for sure.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

I changed to Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 and the Purolator PL14610. No change in performance, but I did notice that it idles a bit smoother and runs a little cooler.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I noticed a huge difference when I changed the oil at 400 miles to Rotella T 15w-40. I just changed it today (1100 miles) to Repsol 4T 10w-40 synthetic and it shifts even better. I was not that impressed with the Yamalube oil. I am using the Pure One filters too, I bought the last of the blue pl14610 and pl14612 ones at the local store,(three 12's and four 10's) so I should be good for a while now.:D

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: oil change What a difference

I did the same thing yesterday...out with the old and in with the new..the bike was in dire need of new oil anyways...I neglected it for the past few weeks!! The bike runs unbelievably smoother now...i'm actually using Halfords motorcycle oil and experienced no problems so far.

I'm using the OEM yamaha filter too...and it took me ages and ages to get the old one off...got annoyed with it and just got a vice to it...I think its about time I bought a proper filter remover!!! :p The new filter has just been hand tightened on so it shouldn't be a problem to remove it when needed!!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Re: oil change What a difference

I'm finding it quite challenging to find good parts in the UK. The culture here is different than the US (to say the least) and there just aren't the same options available. Halfords has got to be the worst auto parts store on the planet, but it's all we have. :(

God help my CC if I make it back home for a holiday this year.

Silver05

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: I put Amsoil 10w40 in my FZ6 and it's a miracle...

I use the Amsoil Motorcycle 10w40 in my FZ6. I've used it in other bikes, too. I think its really great stuff. And here in Oregon, our local GI Joes (now Joe's Sports) stores have it on the shelves right next to the K&N motorcycle oil filters.

I've seen others have said they use Mobil 1 in their bikes - which I use in my car and truck. But I assume you mean the Mobil Motorcycle oil, right? While Mobil 1 is fantastic stuff, too - its not meant for cycles with a wet clutch. The friction modifiers they put in Mobil 1 (great for cars!) will cause shorter clutch life in a bike.

Mobil 1 in the guns, too? I'll have to try that. While they might collect a little dust, mine get cleaned often enough that it probably won't matter.

Cheers:Sport:

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site

Silver05 is exactly right- use motorcycle oil, whether synthetic or regular. I use synthetic in everything I own, from Mobile 1 in my PT cruiser to Amsoil in my V-max, ZZR1200, and 68 GTO, as well as Monica's FZ-6, and from much experience I can say you just can't go wrong, it's just added insurance against extreme temps and conditions. I also feel that a good quality regular motorcycle oil such as Yamalube or Honda's semi synthetic oil is more than adequate for 99 percent of us bikers out there. But what no one has mentioned yet is that you MUST BREAK THE MOTOR IN FIRST! Your piston rings need to seat, which is to say they need to form a nice seal against the block walls as the engine runs. It builds up proper compression. You need to establish wear patterns in the cams and the transmission gears as well. Synthetic oil is SO much slipperier, that switching over to it on your first oil change could POSSIBLY PREVENT that from happening. I say this also knowing that piston rings for both bikes and cars have come a long way in the last decade, so it's likely that your rings seat within the first few miles or driving or riding, but if it were ME, I wouldn't be willing to take that risk so early, I'd wait till at LEAST a thousand miles or so before switching to synthetic. Regular MOTORCYCLE oil certainly won't hurt anything. By the way, anything over 10w-30 or 10w-40 is unnecessary. Unless you have a bike that calls for 20w-50, such as a big V-twin, you're just using up horsepower pushing thicker oil.

Last edited:

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site

You went with a shorter (=less filter media surface area) filter just because of color?

Not nessesarily, but if you look at the OEM filter it is the same size as the one that I put on. Actually the OEM looked just a tad smaller.

I quess you could say that I went with it because of color since my bike is blue, but since the OEM is the same size and I don't plan on going alot of miles between changes, I figured it would be alright.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site

I just hand tighten the filter in all of my vehicles. In the past 23 yrs. of driving I have never had one once back off or leak. They don't need much at all. The rubber o-ring locks it on.

FlyguyCFI

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm coming up on my 600 mile service and I was wondering who has switched to synthetic oil right after that service or around 1000 miles? The dealer keeps saying its not good becuse I need to let the piston rings seat and whatnot and synthetic will be too slick, but people say similar things about cars and many manufacturers sell the cars with mobil 1 in them.

I use mobil 1 in all my cars and will probably use amsoil in the Fzizzle, but is there any thing as too soon in a motorcycle?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

You guys don`t mess around with oil... it keeps going and going and going...

it`s oil for crying out loud, let it go :D

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 OIL (non synthetic)

Sorry for another oil thread but I searched and am finding it hard to fine anything here about using this is an FZ6

I cant get the Multigrade synthetic oil -- in SAE 5W-40 here in Canada but I can get Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 OIL. I just bought some.

Will this be ok in my bike, first change?

I did find this info on Wikipedia

Motorcycle usage

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The properties of heavy duty engine oils tend to map to the same requirements of motorcycle oils, particularly those whose engine and transmission share the same oil. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). The chemical additives found in heavy duty engine oils work well with motorcycles. In addition, the lack of "friction modifiers" in truck oils such as Rotella means they do not interfere with proper wet clutch operations.

Though not yet officially announced by Shell, posts in various motorcycle-related forums cite e-mail confirmation from Shell that Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 has been tested and shown to meet the JASO-MA friction test. This particular certification is important for motorcycles because of the clutch design which is bathed in the engine oil. This is known as a "wet clutch." Oils that have excessive "friction modifiers" tend to make wet clutches slip. Indication that Rotella T Triple Protection passes the JASO-MA friction test offers one more reason to seriously consider Rotella T for motorcycle use.

Motorcycle specific oils tend to cost between $8 and $10 per quart. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 costs about $10 per gallon (or about $2.50/quart). The price economy of Shell Rotella T allows a motorcycle owner to change oil more frequently, thus matching the "extended change interval" value of motorcycle specific synthetics.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 OIL (non synthetic)

I have that in my Bandit right now.... it's still great for bikes... I finally found (with another member's help) Rotella T 5w-40 at the TSC store (The Incredible Country Hardware store) TSC Stores, The Incredible Country Hardware Store However, they may not be anywhere else other than Ontario and Manitoba... you can check though...

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com

Thanks , just came across this as well so that makes me feel better about using it.
=============
We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple
Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be
introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic
5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not
be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection
15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do
meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United
States of America

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu

Will this be ok in my bike, first change?

Yes it will be just fine! I have been using this Rotella T Triple Protection in mine for the last two oil changes and we're getting ready for another using the same.

Have you found the Shell Motorcycle Forum? There is good discussion on this oil for motorcycles and what a great oil it is. I too posted on this forum e-mail confirmation from Shell that Rotella T Triple Protection has been tested and shown to meet the JASO-MA friction test. I am somewhat miffed why Shell does not take the steps to officially claim the JASO-MA rating. :don'tknow:

As far as cost, my local dealer did not have the familiar YAMALUBE 4 oil but some other Yamaha oil. I think maybe the bottle design has changed but Yamaha's synthetic stuff was over $12 a quart... OH HELL NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.