What is the best Handle Bar Mod?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Dam it, because of you guys im really noticing my wrist pains on my daily 30 min x2 commute...... LOL

Now i want to spend more money on the bike!!!!!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
How do these compare to the fz1 bars comfort??

It really depends upon how tall you are...I'm 5'8" with a 5'9" wingspan with arms outstretched. I find the FZ1 bars stretch me out just a bit too much and put too much weight on my arms and wrists...even the new FZ6R bars pull my upper body forward enough to notice. It's a nice "sporty" position, though, without putting too much strain on the wrists.
A taller person with more reach would most definitely find FZ1 bars more comfortable than either the standard FZ6 bars or the FZ6R bars.
HTH!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
OneTrack can you take a picture with the fz6r bar next to the stock bars similar to how CCHOUSEKY did? I have made several adjustments to the stock setup and I am still getting cramps, so i am trying to decide with bars will eliminate this.

Sorry, Zargof.....the old bars were bent due to incorrect tying down in a trailer and I disposed of them. That was the reason I decided to replace them, and chose the FZ6R bars instead. What I can tell you is that the profile (both viewed from above and in front) is almost identical except the FZ6R bars are angled forward slightly by about 1" at the ends. It's just enough to take the outward bend of the wrists out and straighten them up.
I did a 600km ride about a month ago and I had no aches or pains in my wrists whatsoever. Previously, with the standard FZ6 bars, I was constantly taking my hands of the grips to rest my arms and wrists.
It really does make that much difference. If I was taller than 5'8" with a longer reach, I wouldn't have hesitated to go with FZ1 bars.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, Zargof.....the old bars were bent due to incorrect tying down in a trailer and I disposed of them. That was the reason I decided to replace them, and chose the FZ6R bars instead. What I can tell you is that the profile (both viewed from above and in front) is almost identical except the FZ6R bars are angled forward slightly by about 1" at the ends. It's just enough to take the outward bend of the wrists out and straighten them up.
I did a 600km ride about a month ago and I had no aches or pains in my wrists whatsoever. Previously, with the standard FZ6 bars, I was constantly taking my hands of the grips to rest my arms and wrists.
It really does make that much difference. If I was taller than 5'8" with a longer reach, I wouldn't have hesitated to go with FZ1 bars.
Im 5'6". You think the fz6r bars would help my wrist pains?? I dont want to be too forward because i am short it really stretches me out.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want too much of a change with my standard FZ6 bar height, so I went with the FZ6R bars. They are the same height, but angle forward at the ends by about 1" compared to the original FZ6 bars. Made a world of difference, no more wrist and finger cramps and they have a much more natural hand and wrist position. Everything swaps over perfectly.

How tall are you? I feel like the stockers put my wrists at an odd angle but I think that might be because I'm 5'6" and I'm afraid FZ1 bars will be too far forward. :D

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Im 5'6". You think the fz6r bars would help my wrist pains?? I dont want to be too forward because i am short it really stretches me out.

Ha, didnt even get to your post before I responded (above)! :D
Atleast I know I'm not the only one. Let me know if you find out something that works for you. the2wheels aftermarket levers helped A LOT with fatigue regarding clutch pull in traffic.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Atleast I know I'm not the only one. Let me know if you find out something that works for you. the2wheels aftermarket levers helped A LOT with fatigue regarding clutch pull in traffic.

LOL, i have the 2wheels levers on and it did help. But my wrists still hurt sometimes after long rides home on side streets. If i try out the fz6r bars i will let you know what happens :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site

Well, I can tell you that the FZ6R bars certainly eased the pain in my wrists. It was money well spent. FZ1 bars would definitely stretch me (I'm 5'8", so most likely you as well) out too much. OTOH, the "R" bars are a subtle shift forward (no more than 1"), but with straighter wrists. I don't feel any more weight on my arms and wrists than with the standard FZ6 bars.
The "R" bars are a little more grey in colour than the FZ6 bars, but they look just fine.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
How tall are you? I feel like the stockers put my wrists at an odd angle but I think that might be because I'm 5'6" and I'm afraid FZ1 bars will be too far forward. :D

I'm British Standard Issue 5'8". :D
In your case, you may want to try the FZ6R bars....while it's a subtle difference, you'll find them very comfortable after a longer ride than the original FZ6 bars as they straighten out your wrists.
I also found that my elbows aren't drawn inwards as before....it's a much more natural position with the FZ6R bars installed.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It really depends upon how tall you are...I'm 5'8" with a 5'9" wingspan with arms outstretched. I find the FZ1 bars stretch me out just a bit too much and put too much weight on my arms and wrists...even the new FZ6R bars pull my upper body forward enough to notice. It's a nice "sporty" position, though, without putting too much strain on the wrists.
A taller person with more reach would most definitely find FZ1 bars more comfortable than either the standard FZ6 bars or the FZ6R bars.
HTH!

Details like this are great. Thanks!

Me, I want less angle, same height. But with less angle I'm sure it'll pull me forward and I don't want that.
So - straighter, back some, and same height or a higher. Now how do i get there?
Me, 5' 10" with 32" inseam so a longer torso and I'm glad I didn't just buy the FZ1 bars.

EDIT: anyone know what the stock FZ6 bar angle and height is so we can compare apples to ads?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I've posted this a couple times; but the factory bar dimples to align the levers are simply the wrong angle for me at 5' 10" 32" inseam and they need to be rotated down.

Tilt your wrist back towards your chest and make a fist. Notice how little strength you have. Now do it again but with you hands level with your wrists and notice you have much more strength and its more comfy.

Now centerstand your bike and hop on. Pull the levers and notice the angle of wrist compared to your forearm. Rotate your levers until your wrists are parallel to your forearms. You'll have more strength and less fatigue.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone has answered this and I've seen a couple of people ask. You can order the FZ1 bars from your Yamaha dealer for about $40 (I think mine were ~$38 after tax). IIRC, I got '06 FZ1 bars. It usually takes a few days to a week to get them in.

:thumbup:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I put drag bars on mine, here's a couple observations. If you go with flat bars, the throttle and signal assemblies can hit the tank if the steering is to the extreme left or right. It may require angling the bars up more than you want. Also, the master cylinder (brake fluid reservoir) gets a bit tight with the top of the forks, so you can only angle down so far. I had to adjust the fluid hose exit to make room. All this limits how narrow and how much pullback your bars can have.

IMG_3903-1.jpg

Last edited:

B4sok

Reaction score
Visit site
H Guys,
after much thought I went for the fz1 stock bars. Fitted them yesterday and rode it in to work today. It feels like a new bike. Really impressed. Thanks for everyones input.
Cheers:thumbup:

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought the SW- Motech 1" back and 1" higher kit for my FZ6. Started to install yesterday. How are you guys dealing with the break line?. Mine would not instal without really compromising the break line. I had everything loose. It just doesnt seem long enough?