What is the average age of FZ6 rider?

What is the average age of FZ6 rider?

• Total voters
I understand your point, however Yamaha (and my insurance company) have the nakeds and full replica racers lumped into the same category "super sports". if someone asks me I say I own a sportbike.
:Sport:

Correct, and when you go into the Yamaha site the FZ6 and FZ1 are listed as Super sport and I too ride a sportbike. You will find that Kawasaki has literally split them up into separate categories of sport machines listing sport, sport touring and super sport. I guess I'm lucky as my insurance company knows the difference between a bike with clip-ons and a full body and a bike with a set of handlebars. Either way, to me the whole lot are sportbikes.

The warm greeting ;) extended to 2X80MPH got me thinking about the term "sportbike". The term itself may have not been in general usage before it was "invented" in the US in the early 80's (I'd love to see the documentation to support that), but "sportbikes" most definitely DID exist long before that. There were most definitely "sportbike" versions of bikes that were already "sport bikes", such as the Dunstall Dominator (a custom built cafe racer available in the 60's, converted from the Norton 650SS and Norton Atlas 750's), the Dresda Triton (a cafe racer 'special' built using a Norton featherbed frame and a Triumph Bonneville engine), and countless others, which were the fastest ROAD bikes of the day in every way, not just in a straight line. They aped the racing bikes of the day with their clip-ons, rear sets, 5 gallon alloy or fibreglass racing tanks, hump-backed racing seats, swept-back exhausts with magaphones, and (sometimes) a full fairing. The Triumph Thruxton was available for purchase, which was a full-race replica of the winning "factory" 67 Triumph Bonneville Thruxton. Yes, if you were a millionaire you could buy an MV Augusta or a Gillera road bike but they were pigs and NOTHING like the factory racers. The Honda CB750 most certainly did NOT take the motorcycling world "by surprise". It was rumoured for years in the mid-60's before it was released. In fact, Honda announced the CB750 before a single model had been built, just to hi-jack BSA/Triumph's new triples which had just arrived in the showrooms. In one stroke, Honda killed that bike....everybody wanted the CB750, which couldn't hold a candle to the Tribsa triples for performance. (Daytona proved that).
To sum up, don't condemn an old-timer for using modern terms to describe an item that he considers fits into the meaning of the new terminology. It's not the terminology that's important, it's the item itself. I rode what I would unhesitatingly call "sportbikes" in the 60's and 70's. Just because we didn't call them that (AAMOF, we didn't call them "cafe racers" either...that's another American term) doesn't mean that they didn't exist.
Maybe a precise definition of the term "sportbike" is needed. If the Ducati Monster 695 is a "sportbike", then my'68 Triumph Bonneville with a King's Ransom in "accessories" sure as hell was one too. :Sport:
Yeh, I'm old (61), so I'm entitled to a rant.
BTW, welcome to the FZ6 forum 2X80MPH...you've made a great choice for a sportbike....or is it a touring sporter....or a sports tourer. :Flip:

Last edited:
Thanks "One Track" ... I couldn't have said it better myself! Merry Christmas to all!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after
the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten!" :thumbup:

I went and found some of my old British "tuning" books from the 60's....the term "sports motorcycle" is in common usage in the book, especially Ray Knight's book "Racing & Tuning Production Motorcycles". It's full of fabulous photos of the "sports motorcycles" of the day...The Bonneville Thruxton, the BSA Spitfire MkII Special, the Norton Commando, the Royal Enfield Interceptor, Norton Dunstall Dominator (with twin disc brakes!), and a smattering of Suzuki's, Yamaha's and Kawasaki's "who had yet to make their mark in Production racing record books". Honda was nowhere to be seen in Production racing, because although they dominated in GP racing, they DID NOT HAVE A BIKE THAT COULD RUN WITH THE BRIT BIKES in a Production race in 1970. (Kawasaki's triples lasted a lap before they crashed)
Anyhow....I've gone WAY off-topic here and will surely incur the wrath of the Mods if I don't knock it off. (You let us old geezers in here.... :Flip: )
Hey, what about these FZ6's, eh? :D

Anyhow....I've gone WAY off-topic here and will surely incur the wrath of the Mods if I don't knock it off. (You let us old geezers in here.... :Flip: )
Hey, what about these FZ6's, eh? :D
that's OK OneTrack, I figured Matlock had to come on eventually(or the prune juice was gonna kick in) either way I knew you couldn't go on too much longer!!!:D

which couldn't hold a candle to the Tribsa triples for performance. (Daytona proved that).

Too funny and way way wrong... Harley-Davidson had been manhandling the Brit bikes for more than a decade from 1955 through 1969 on the Daytona infield course. The Brit bikes only managed 3 victories in that entire time and they were the years 62, 66 and 67. To take this one step farther, in 1970 Dick Mann won the Daytona 200 with a Honda. Interestingly, Dick Mann came back to win again in 1971 on a BSA and this would be the last win for a Brit bike on the Daytona infield course. Don't feel bad as the last Daytona win for an American machine was 1969 when Ray Clayborn won on a Harley-Davidson.

From 1977 through 1984 the category Formula 1 was used for the open class bikes at Daytona. The first use of the term Superbike didn't come into play until 1985 when the Formula 1 category became the Superbike category and Freddie Spencer won on a Honda. Twenty years later in 2005 the category would once again change and Miguel Duhamel from Canada won the event riding a Honda in the Formula Extreme category. The category remains Formula Extreme to present.

Funny how our perceptions of history don't always follow the reality of history.

I am really surprised that there are so many FZ6 riders who are 50 or older. I like it, but it surprises me. :cool:

Too funny and way way wrong... Harley-Davidson had been manhandling the Brit bikes for more than a decade from 1955 through 1969 on the Daytona infield course. The Brit bikes only managed 3 victories in that entire time and they were the years 62, 66 and 67. To take this one step farther, in 1970 Dick Mann won the Daytona 200 with a Honda. Interestingly, Dick Mann came back to win again in 1971 on a BSA and this would be the last win for a Brit bike on the Daytona infield course. Don't feel bad as the last Daytona win for an American machine was 1969 when Ray Clayborn won on a Harley-Davidson.

Heh heh....well, here's a little more "perceived" history for you:- The only reason that Harley was "manhandling the Brit bikes for more than a decade" was that under the AMERICAN rules (we will win, dammit, no matter how much we have to cheat :p ), Triumph was limited to 500cc because their bikes were OHV. H-D, otoh, were permitted to race their 750cc bikes because they were Side Valves. A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un. ;) When Triumph finally got their 500cc "Daytona" model to thrash the 750cc H-D sidevalves, the Rule Makers decided to limit the OHV bikes to 350cc. When rumours started circulating that Triumph had their T90 350cc bikes going almost as fast as their 500cc bikes, H-D promptly purchased Aer-Macchi, whose 350cc bikes were pretty much the fastest 350's on the track. When H-D found that the Aer-Macchi had a propensity to hand-grenade on the long ovals, they whined to the American Rule Makers to open the class right up so they could race their big OHV bikes. Triumph/BSA showed up with their triples and kicked ***. Of course it was the last time either the Brits or Yanks won anything there, as Honda came on the scene along with the other Japanese brands and the rest is....well....history.
Edited to add: Who's Ray Clayborn? Did you mean Cal Rayborn?:confused:

Last edited:
ok after looking at all of the discussions on sportbikes i did a little searching and found this

Interceptor

Enlarge

It was the first sportbike born with racing DNA. Seventeen years ago, you either rode an Interceptor or you were way behind.

There were two kinds of sportbike riders in 1983. Those who owned a VF750 Interceptor, and those who lusted after one. Armed with newly developed Honda Grand Prix technology, such as a track-inspired fairing, 16-inch front wheel, rectangular-section perimeter frame, single-shock rear suspension and anti-dive front suspension, the Interceptor was a back-road rapier among pocket knives.

Power was cutting edge. As the first liquid-cooled engine in any sportbike, the Interceptor's 90-degree V-four spun out an amazing 86 horsepower, making the bike quicker in the quarter mile and faster on top than its peers. In a top-gear roll-on, the Interceptor flat crushed them, and, in so doing, exploded the notion that high-performance sportbikes had to have narrow powerbands crowded close to the redline. Those triple-disc brakes were regarded as the best brakes on any mass-produced street bike. When the pavement turned twisty, nothing else measured up. And if you felt like crossing a time zone or two, the Interceptor was versatile, smooth and comfortable enough for the job.

Still, its toughest job was racing. New AMA rules required that Superbikes be built from street-going 750s, so Honda's radical Interceptor arrived with the heart and bones of a champion. Losing 70 pounds and gaining over 40 horses in race trim, the new V-4 was equally omnipotent on the track. In 1983, its rookie year as an AMA Superbike, the VF750F won eight of 14 Nationals, and would begin a legacy of Honda V-4 dominance unequaled in AMA Superbike racing.

That original Interceptor, through its racing and sales success, proved that Honda's integrated design approach worked as well on the track as it did on the street. Fast, agile, comfortable, perfectly balanced, the Interceptor began a Honda design philosophy that created a line of sportbikes with tremendous performance and street civility, a line leading straight to the aluminum-frame, fuel-injected 800 Interceptor in Honda's 2000 lineup.

Even if you weren't old enough or lucky enough to experience the Interceptor in 1983, the magic lives on in Honda's sportbike line, and it's better than ever.

You see, that's the problem. ;)
It's too easy to isolate one moment in time and decide that it was a quantum leap...a catalyst...a defining moment just to support an argument. I could bring up many other examples of "You either rode a ____________ or you were way behind". I think we're all getting way too hung up on the terminology "sportbike" here. :)
How often have you heard the English Longbow from the 100 Year War with France described as "the Exocet of the day"...?

its not a problem, do you know what the problem "IS". "We HAVE NOTHING ELSO TO DO, OR, NOTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT"!!!!!!:Flash::Flash::Flash:

Heh heh....well, here's a little more "perceived" history for you:- The only reason that Harley was "manhandling the Brit bikes for more than a decade" was that under the AMERICAN rules (we will win, dammit, no matter how much we have to cheat :p ), Triumph was limited to 500cc because their bikes were OHV. H-D, otoh, were permitted to race their 750cc bikes because they were Side Valves. A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un. ;) When Triumph finally got their 500cc "Daytona" model to thrash the 750cc H-D sidevalves, the Rule Makers decided to limit the OHV bikes to 350cc. When rumours started circulating that Triumph had their T90 350cc bikes going almost as fast as their 500cc bikes, H-D promptly purchased Aer-Macchi, whose 350cc bikes were pretty much the fastest 350's on the track. When H-D found that the Aer-Macchi had a propensity to hand-grenade on the long ovals, they whined to the American Rule Makers to open the class right up so they could race their big OHV bikes. Triumph/BSA showed up with their triples and kicked ***. Of course it was the last time either the Brits or Yanks won anything there, as Honda came on the scene along with the other Japanese brands and the rest is....well....history.
Edited to add: Who's Ray Clayborn? Did you mean Cal Rayborn?:confused:

Here we go with the displacement and buying championships again. This same argument holds very true and is alive and well withing the NHRA pro-stocks only it's Harley vs. the Suzuki and so one. I think this one will last forever.

Yeah, that was a brain fart... I actually meant Calvin J Rayborn Jr. Winner of 2 Daytona 200 races (68 & 69). He also managed to set a world LSR record of 265.492 on a Harley streamliner. I think he ran some races in Europe toward the end of his career as well.

lol, i went for a ride the otherday or should i say attempted to IT WAS 45F outside and the air intake was at 38-40 and the coolant was loveing the 150F my body was'nt, and you would think comeing from NY i would be use to it, but then again this is the first street bike i have owned. BBBBRRRRRRR (as i am makeing thr BBBBRRR noise my body shivvvvvvers)

lol, i went for a ride the otherday or should i say attempted to IT WAS 45F outside and the air intake was at 38-40 and the coolant was loveing the 150F my body was'nt, and you would think comeing from NY i would be use to it, but then again this is the first street bike i have owned. BBBBRRRRRRR (as i am makeing thr BBBBRRR noise my body shivvvvvvers)

Last April my neighbor and I went into Bowling Green (20 miles) for the Annual Teddy Bear Run. When we left it was 24F ambient. At 60mph on the way in it was 3F on the bikes. I felt like a stiff brick with 5 layers on and a full set of leathers. We had fun but what a pain that was....

Back