What is a good all weather riding jacket?

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Right now I'm just wearing a mesh Motoboss jacket. I know it is going to get colder here in the NW, and I want to get a better jacket. I'm looking for a jacket that I can wear when it gets hot to cold. Oh and it must breath well, as I'm a natural hot person, I get hot very easy. The last part is it can't cost me to much, as I don't have a lot of funds.

I've just starting riding this summer, and need advice from you all.

Thanks in advance.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Look at Cortech products. Everything I own is Cortech and I haven't had any issues with anything yet. I bought a GX Sport jacket from the Dealer with my 10% discount for $192. I thought it was highway robbery until I wore it --1-- time! I'm a warm person too but at 60 deg. at 6:00am @ 60mph and not a hint of wind cutting thru the jacket, I thought it was worth every penny and still do! I just put the liner in 1/2 hr. ago! 48 deg. this morn. and was warm with a sweatshirt under. Tomorrow it'll be jacket over t-shirt.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd second Moses' recommendation on the Cortech line. I have a older GX-Air that breathes well without the liner in for the hot days. There is a rain liner that works great as a wind-breaker on cooler days. There is also a thermal liner that fits inside the rain liner that is for even cooler mornings. While the Cortech doesn't breathe as good as my Joe Rocket Reactor, the Cortech will be more useful for cooler days.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Once you have a handle on what sort of jacket you want..... haunt the closeout section of Newenough.com -- go so far as to sign up for their mailing list, and they will send you an email on all of their reduced price products.

Everyone is saying textile, and I agree. It's tough to cover a wider range of temps than what you can with a good textile jacket. Mine happens to be a Teknics, with vents, and a liner. 8 years old now, and it's never been 100% waterproof.... too many vents and such for that. But it's got armor and a spine protector, so I can add the rain suit if needed.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, sounds good. With my MSF card I get a 15% discount at Cycle Gear, one time. But I'm always looking for a good deal.

Thanks

Don't forget your hands and feet! I have ridden in my Cortech in near freezing temps with the rain/wind liner in and a thin down jacket underneath with no issues. However, my hands and feet ended up nearly frost bitten, and that's with wind proof/Gore Tex lined (and insulated) ski gloves and extra socks on under riding boots (supposedly with Thinsulate insulation)!

Just saying :rockon:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm ~ 40 miles down stream on the Columbia from you....

Riding pants will insulate your legs, and reduce the wind chill significantly.... the ultimate answer is to go electric. A vest is likely adequate for the NW.... I've got a second hand Widder that does pretty well..... if I was a bit skinnier, it'd be perfect.

With the vest turned on, the liners in everything, the balaclava, the ski mobile gloves, insulated boots.... I can ride comfortably right down to 32°F. Ice bad traction. I avoid it. Particularly right at 32 due to the black ice.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm going to be riding my bike year round. How does Cortech GX air hold up to 32 degrees or colder?

I don't think I have ridden in temps down to that level, about 45F is as low as I have gone. My upper body was good, my legs and hands were quite cold. With a belaclava and some good gloves you should be pretty good to go.

TioEric

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a Tour Master Air Elite 2 jacket from Motorcycle Superstore and it is great. Mesh outer, waterproof liner, separate quilted liner, plenty of pockets, all for about $160.

I wear a men's medium in most stuff and this jacket was just a little bit on the big side. However, the sleeves on the small were too short when I stuck my arms out all the way, so I can live with the medium.

Hope this helps.