What I Bought Today

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on a sweet upgrade!

I guess I'm getting older and more mature but seeing pictures of FZ1's no longer makes me want one. My FZ6 has been paid off since 2007 and my motorcycle insurance on it just went down to $13/month for full coverage. I will never sell my trusty FZ6!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very much like to mod. I think that's half the fun of owning a bike and was glad to find a unmolested one. I didn't know you could reflash the ECU. Is this something that Yamaha does? I've read the mapping wasn't so good for the 06/07. Will be changing the tires. The rubber is 7 years old!

No Yamaha doesn't flash them but there are several places that do. ECUnleashed is one option, Guhl Motors is another.

Keep an eye on Rexxer. They only have flashes for Euro bikes, but Japanese products are on the way. They are the cat's meow.

Before you mess with the flash, ride the bike. The throttle response is a hellva lot better than the FZ6. Of the FZ1's the '06 had the worst mapping, each year it has gotten better and better. But again, ride it and see what you think.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Best bang for the buck here, when it comes to pipes for FZ1:

Shop > Exhausts & Silencers

I've been using mine for over 10k miles now.. no issues. I have the tri-oval carbon (which is no longer available). It's almost exactly 10 pounds lighter than stock. Shorty will be even lighter.

Is the tri-oval a short style muffler? I like the shorty they have but don't want it extremely loud.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Going shopping when WalMart opens:

Filter:
SuperTech ST7317

Oil:
Rotella T 15w-40 (3 quarts)

Chain:
WD-40
DuPont Teflon Chain Saver

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Also trying to pick up one of these since I need a new bulb:

$T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjtdyBRQDGp6Blg~~60_57.JPG

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the tri-oval a short style muffler? I like the shorty they have but don't want it extremely loud.

No, tri-oval is not a shorty. The shorty ones look great, but they ARE very loud.. they don't have baffles.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking FZ1. I didn't realize they had the ugly exhausts back then. You definitely have to get rid of that. Enjoy and I am sure you will. :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking FZ1. I didn't realize they had the ugly exhausts back then. You definitely have to get rid of that. Enjoy and I am sure you will. :rockon:

FZ1 pipe has not changed from 06 to current model year. Funny.. stock exhaust actually sounds very good (nothing like FZ6.. it's the right amount of *loud* and it's not whiny), but it IS heavy and it sure is ugly. Mine came off about a week into ownership.

I think the power curve was a bit smoother with stock setup due to EXUP, but it's a perfectly smooth bike even with a slip-on without any fuel mixture tinkering.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 pipe has not changed from 06 to current model year. Funny.. stock exhaust actually sounds very good (nothing like FZ6.. it's the right amount of *loud* and it's not whiny), but it IS heavy and it sure is ugly. Mine came off about a week into ownership.

I think the power curve was a bit smoother with stock setup due to EXUP, but it's a perfectly smooth bike even with a slip-on without any fuel mixture tinkering.

Hey, why the EXUP? What was it's purpose?