What helmet should I upgrade to? I have the HJC-CSR1 now and I hate it...

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the HJC CS-R1 helmet right now. Cost me $80.
HJC CSR1 Black Helmet

I bought the cheapest helmet in black I could find when I bought my new FZ6. I don’t know if it’s just me or if all helmets are like this one, but it is so noisy, and I don’t like the fitment or how it feels on my head.

I want to upgrade my helmet to a comfortable, quiet, helmet that will last a long while.

Any suggestions?

Awreck

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the Shoei X-eleven, It's light and of course rated one of the best out there, of course you'll pay an arm and leg for it, but at least your well protected in a crash!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say a helmet is the one thing you need to try on yourself, at a brick-n-mortar establishment. Everyone's head is different, and a head that fits a Shoei may not fit a Scorpion, etc etc.
On-line reviews are good for judging noise level, since you can't take each one out for a spin.

Hmm, you just gave me an idea. How hard would it be to build a 65 mph wind tunnel in a store, where you can stick your head in and see how the noise, venting and buffeting are?

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say a helmet is the one thing you need to try on yourself, at a brick-n-mortar establishment.

Totally agree - and best done at a good shop where they know how the helmets they have fit relative to one another and proper sizing in general.

That said, for my round-ish head I've been very happy with my Shoei RF-1000 after trying a KBC first. The fit finish of the Shoei is much better and I went down a size which also helped noise and comfort wise.

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you guys think about a half face? What are the advantages & disadvantages?

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you guys think about a half face? What are the advantages & disadvantages?

I would not do a half face in case you did a face plant you can prolly kiss your chin/jaw bye bye. I'd get a full face that goes into half face mode if you're interested in that i think they are called flip-ups:
flipup.jpg

W

wrightme43

What is your head shape?

Round
Earth
Round oval
Long oval

If the helmet fits your head shape its quieter to you.

I really like shark helmets, and suomy helmets. It depends on you.

The majority of impacts occur in the area between the nose and chin. Whats your price range?

You can get a very very nice helmet for 250-300 us$
Say you spend another 125 on another one you dont like. Then you will still have to buy a good one, and will of paid 5-600 for it. Mine spends alot of time on my head. I like it to be comfy.

W

wrightme43

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
What is your head shape?

Round
Earth
Round oval
Long oval

If the helmet fits your head shape its quieter to you.

I really like shark helmets, and suomy helmets. It depends on you.

The majority of impacts occur in the area between the nose and chin. Whats your price range?

You can get a very very nice helmet for 250-300 us$
Say you spend another 125 on another one you dont like. Then you will still have to buy a good one, and will of paid 5-600 for it. Mine spends alot of time on my head. I like it to be comfy.

I would say round oval to long oval... I want to spend around $250. I like the look of the Icon Airframe a little better than the Shoei RF1000... Does anyone have experience with these 2?

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine just got a Scorpion for $300.00, and loves it. it has great air flow, and adjustable air bladders for the cheek guards, and also a flip down shade inside the helmet.

Can't find a pic right now, but I'll tell you it looks great, all matte black and stuff.

W

wrightme43

My experince with Icon gear has been less than stellar. I think they spend lots O' money on advertising and market placement and not alot on the actual gear itself.

If you just want black that will save some money. Check out the vendor store I linked above.
Or check out www.newenough.com Scorpion makes a good helmet too.

If you have a long shaped head go to www.webbikeworld and read some helmet reviews.
I have a long oval, and the Suomy shape fits me well. I have a HJC AC-12 yikes and it is like putting my head inside a beach ball. Fits fine front and back but side to side is just all wrong.

I had a Nitro that fit great. A fulmer that fit well but was junk. The RSR2 shark fit well.

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
eBay Motors: Motorcycle Helmet Shark S800 Sensor Medium Silver/Black (item 200238942130 end time Jul-20-08 19:42:49 PDT)

If you wear a medium this is a rocking deal. I bought my shark rsr2 vendor on ebay. Why in the hell they have a less than perfect rating I dont know. They were insanely helpful to me, and even offered to upgrade me to a replica from solid blue if I had to return it for wrong size. They have lots of last years shark helmets for a rocking good price.

Damn this is a good deal