wet weather is here in norcal

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you guys do for boots? get a dedicated pair of rain boots or get covers for your regular street boots?

I noticed that ankle protection and rain boots dont seem to go hand in hand as opposed to my dry weather boots which offer off the charts ankle protection

thoughts/comments appreciated.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd go with waterproof boots, before I'd dink around with covers. Good boots with good coverage will outperform a cover over your 'summer' boots.

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
what about the ankle and lower leg protection?? my daytona boots which are not waterproof offer the best protection in dry but the new pair of daytonas I got which are water proof can just be easily folded at the ankle. not very comforting

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I see no reason to put myself through the misery and increased risk of riding in the rain, but the couple of times I've ended up doing it, I wasn't impressed with my waterproof boots. With riding pants tucked into boots (I don't think it would fit outside the boot), water splashed onto my shin and rolled right down into my boot. I had a nice little pool down there. Waterproof boots probably made the situation worse, as water couldn't leak OUT!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the waterproof SIDI track boots, but you're right, they don't offer the same protection as the Vortiche (SP?) which does not come in a water proof version as far as I know.

Dual sport boots? I'm thinking most of my superwet riding this winter is going to be on a motard wearing dirt bike boots so I'll be covered.

In summary, if you find a top of the line waterproof roadracing track boot, be sure to let me know!

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have over-boot waterproof pants, I've found that they work well with keeping the water out of non-waterproof boots. I'm completely with you; waterproof and protective don't seem to go together where boots are concerned.

(BTW, I'm selling a waterproof one-piece in Nor-cal. :) )

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding in the rain? Count me out! I'm not THAT dedicated. Nothing like a cage during rainy period. Yesterday, we almost had 3 or so inches in 24 hours! Pretty good for NorCal.

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm...

I guess I am taking it upon myself to find a good protective pair of rain boots for the good of the order

I got some daytona roadstar gtx's (best waterproof boot that Helimot has but still next to zero ankle bend/twist protection) and I just ordered a pair of alpinestars supertech touring boots (these are apparently brand new). Thats almost $1k of boots. I will report back which works best to you guys.

I hope I dont have to return the daytonas...helmut is going to hate me.

In the meantime, please keep thoughts and recommendations coming.

promega

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in oregon, and it's raining, I still ride to work in the rain, but I was wondering if the rain could damage my electrical tac and such.. I cover it while i am at home, but i just seems lame to do it at work, plus i am scared the wind will tip it over. Should I worry about rain damage, or is it ok?

PS riding with gear is for panzies.. I ride with a burton snowboard jacket and sk8 shoes. Helmet, because its the law i guess, and its cold!

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in oregon, and it's raining, I still ride to work in the rain, but I was wondering if the rain could damage my electrical tac and such.. I cover it while i am at home, but i just seems lame to do it at work, plus i am scared the wind will tip it over. Should I worry about rain damage, or is it ok?

PS riding with gear is for panzies.. I ride with a burton snowboard jacket and sk8 shoes. Helmet, because its the law i guess, and its cold!

its because you ride too slow for the gear to make a difference

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Oh No! You Diddint! LOL!

Cliff

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

Ok, but I see you have snowboard gear. I would say that maybe 50% of riders ride w/o gear (except for helmet). But, you probably opened a hornet's nest by categorizing those that do wear gear as panzies? (lol)

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a rain boot with decent ankle protection, Alpinestars makes a decent pair. I actually crashed in the rain with these and if it weren't for the ankle protectors on these boots, my left ankle could have been crushed rather than sprained.

Check these out:
Ridge Waterproof Boots

Very affordable and comfy. THere are better options if you are willing to spend more money.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I have SIDI Way Rain boots, supposedly water resistant. I haven't ridden in any real rain, just a quick drizzle. They have hard inserts in the shin and on both sides of the ankle. I haven't tested them yet, but I'm more than certain they'd do a great job of protecting my feet and ankles. Very comfortable and so low key, I can wear them anywhere.

632915142222914166g17681.jpg

Plenty of good reviews: Sidi Way Rain Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Great all around boots. I've had them over a year now and they still look barely used. :thumbup:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my SIDI On Road boots. They're not a track boot, but they offer pretty good protection for street riding and they're comfortable on long rides. I've spent many, many rainy days riding in them and they've never leaked a drop. They were rated #1 in a 'bucket test' a few years ago.

Get some waterproof rain pants and put them over the boots. Nothing will get in.