Went for a ride yesterday...now I need some help

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday was a beautiful day, probably the best day so far I've ridden in. Temperature was very comfortable. My dad used to have a motorcycle many many years ago and still loves to ride. I let him ride my FZ6 whenever I'm not taking it out for a spin with my friends. So I decided yesterday that I would surprise him and make his day. I asked one of my friends if I could borrow his R6 for the day so I could go on a ride with my dad and let my dad ride my FZ.

My dad was so excited to go, I really haven't seem him that pumped up in awhile. He works all the time and it was nice to do something fun with him again. We don't get to spend all that much time together since I've graduated from college and no longer live with them. And he travels alot for his job.

So getting back to the ride. We rode a bunch of backroads in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. We went all over the place, and found a bunch of new roads. We didn't have any destination in mind, so we were just driving around looking for nice twisties. Found some great ones that I'll be riding again. We started at around 12:30 and got back at around 4:30. But at around 4:00, this happened:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fortunately, my dad was wearing all the gear! I actually went out yesterday morning to get another jacket and helmet. My dide and I are nearly identical in size so he can wear my gear. My Speed & Strength jacket actually fit him better so I gave that to him yesterday, and I wore the new jacket I just bought yesterday morning. He was also wearing my Motoport Kevlar Gloves and a brand new HJC CL-SP helmet that I bought yesterday for him as well. The gloves have a little damage, not much, but I didn't get a picture of them yet.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

He has a sprained (we think) wrist and he dislocated his shoulder, as well as a very small 1" x 1" road rash on his left knee. He was able to pop his shoulder back in and ride the bike back, after I bent the handlebar back into a riding position. He said mechanically, the bike felt fine.

I was upset, but definitely just glad that my dad was okay. From what I can figure he went into a turn a little too fast. He then saw something that made him think twice and he decided to use the back brake a little. I think that stood the bike straight up and he wasn't going to make it through the turn so he locked the back brake and the rear fishtailed on him and went down. He slid along behind the bike for about 10 feet or so. I know he's beating himself up about it, and I really don't want to make him feel any worse than he already does. I had a great time with my dad and would let him ride my bike again (but I doubt my mom will).

Anyways, I figure this is a good chance to get some of the mods that I've been wanting to do anyways. I'm thinking maybe some new rearsets (I think the left peg is broken and will need to be replaced anyways. I am going to need a new front fairing, fuel tank, and the back plastic parts and grabrail piece. Some new frame sliders as well. And maybe some FZ1 handlebars.

How much $$ wise damage would you estimate there is? Being that I'm 23 and just got the bike, I really don't want to claim it on my insurance...I'll end up getting screwed on insurance premiums for many many years. I think it'll be better just to pay it out of pocket, and that's what my parents think we should do. I'm going to take it to a Yamaha dealer just to get it checked out, and probably have them install most of the parts (I'll probably buy the parts elsewhere to save some money). But I can do some of the easier install and save my parents some $$.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I hope your dad is o.k.. I'm sure he feel really bad that it happened. I know it really sucks but as long as he's o.k. everything else can be fixed.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah textile gear doesnt work. get leather. ive gone down twice in textile and it has ripped, shredded, or burnt through each time at relatively low speeds. would hate to see someone go for a slide at 100kph or more.

good to hear he's ok though. old people don't mend so quickly (or so ive heard :p)

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'll bite what the heck happened? OUCH.

Sorry, I had to split it into 2 posts to fit all the pictures. I didn't mean to leave you guys hanging!

First of all, is your Dad all right?

Yes Vegas, he's okay. A little sore, but I think he's feeling more bad about busting up my bike. My dad said to me right after he crashed, "I'm really sorry about the bike son. But I had more fun today than I've had in the last 25 years..." That made me feel really good, and I'm glad we were able to have some good times together. Honestly, even with the damage, it was worth it to spend that time with him. Just a shame that a great day had to end like that.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad no one was seriously injured. Also, happy to hear a refreshing perspective on those sort of happenings.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I had to split it into 2 posts to fit all the pictures. I didn't mean to leave you guys hanging!

Yes Vegas, he's okay. A little sore, but I think he's feeling more bad about busting up my bike. My dad said to me right after he crashed, "I'm really sorry about the bike son. But I had more fun today than I've had in the last 25 years..." That made me feel really good, and I'm glad we were able to have some good times together. Honestly, even with the damage, it was worth it to spend that time with him. Just a shame that a great day had to end like that.

Awww, that is so sweet! My husband & son did a Father's Day trip for the past 5 years or so. But Steve had to sell the FZ1 :( I think they miss that time together.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

What a great attitude by both of you.

You only get one Dad. You can replace a motorcycle.

Ballpark estimate of damages?

You can look up all the obvious damage at Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories ? BikeBandit.com ; choose your model year and start picking out parts. Ain't gonna be cheap....... but less than what a GSYZXR would set you back. I'd bet you're North of $1000 in parts if you have to buy new.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your dad is ok man! Bikes are cheap and replaceable.

I'm originally from Pittsburgh... well Beaver County... nice roads, glad you 2 had a nice ride til then.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow - that sucks. Hang in there - thank god your dad is OK!

And: yes just repair the bike out of pocket, I completely agree. I crashed mine at low speed and the damage to mine is similar, though I rashed the case cover a bit, but yours looks fine. I sanded and painted mine w/ BBQ paint. :Flash:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to read that!

+1 to pricing everything online (gonna be quite a lot... time to go naked maybe?) and take the bike to Yamaha or a local specialized shop to get it checked out.

I would also contact my insurance and ask them what would happen if you declared an accident YOU had on the bike (squirrel ran under your tire)... see what premium you would have to fork out (mine was not much at all, when I totaled my bike and got another one like it with the insurance $$$).

Oh and did your dad get professionally checked out?

Good luck.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, very glad to hear your Dad will be OK. Tough guy to pop in a shoulder and ride it out! And that you two had the time together... priceless!

Is there any way that Dad can claim it on his own insurance? I know my full coverage covers me as a driver on all cars and bikes. When I rent a car, I don't get their coverage because I'm already covered. This could save you all a lot of money if he is covered and save your insurance because they won't be dealing with the claim. You're well over $1k with parts alone and labor is expensive. :(

Get Dad well and worry about the bike later.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad to hear your dad suffered only minor injuries from this crash. It makes me cringe seeing the damage to your bike, and the photos remind me why NOBODY but me rides my bike.

Hopefully both your dad and bike are mended quickly.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this is definatley a Father & Son event that you two will never forget. Later in life, you two will be laughing about it.

Will definatley make a very interesting topic of conversation during your next family get togethe over the holidays.

Thanks for posting.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, I have that stock exhaust cover that you can have for shipping cost if you want it. Let me know...