Went down this w/end. Twice.

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
This happens, and I was kind of expecting this, not looking forward to, though. I am fine, no bruises, no nothing, thanks for asking. :cheer:

The bike is also mostly fine, other than a gone frameslider (T-REX kind) only scratches on the plastic.

Which calls for replacement. There's a crack on right side rear cover, handlebar end is scratched, and that thingy that kinda goes on top of the cowling (see pictures).

Now questions:

1. Can you help me to identify this thingy in the picture? If I am not mistaken, it's the part number 10 that goes under name "MOLE 2" (eg here: Discount Motorcycle Parts. Wholesale to everyone....). Is it a replaceable part? I hope it is. Is there a how-to for this?

2. The rear side cover also needs graphics, which I will get. In my past experience, it's very hard to get it on right, w/o bubbles. Any advice?

3. The frame slider uses a bolt that goes through the frame and into the engine. When I remove the bolt, do I need to support the engine? I am afraid the engine might kind of fall down enough so the holes in the frame and the engine are misaligned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help on the fairing part, & I hope Defy, Fred, FZ6inNH or another of those expert types will jump in & lend you a hand.
I'll answer your question about replacing the slider tho': No the engine won't slip down if you just replace one slider at a time.
I'm curious about the sliders you have & do you think they protected the bike enough (long enough), or would you have chosen another brand over these?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but sliders have been a topic here lately.
Also, glad you weren't hurt & just some scrapes on your bike. :Flash:

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
BillM:

The sliders (actually, just one) did quite a good job. Both times I went down at speeds much less than 10 mph, first time other than the slider the very tip of the [suspected] mole 2 part got scratched (hardly worth mentioning).

The second time I was... hmm... lucky (??) to go down under rain on the same side (right) and the wheels went off asphalt. Since asphalt was kind of 2-3 inches above the red clay of Georgia, the bike got hurt more.

I consider the sliders "expendable" parts and I don't see any reason to spend more money than needed (in my books anything more than $30/pair is way too expansive). Dropped the bike, replace the slider, move on. The only important thing is to make sure the bolts are longer and go in no less than the original bolts -- this makes sense from engineering perspective.

Another question (actually, two):
1. Can I buy just the plastic part of the slider? Where?
2. I noticed that the sliders have different height (length?) and the shorter one is on the right. Is this correct?

Thanks!

S

sportrider

wow:eek: down twice in one day.

glad your OK.

been riding long?

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
BillM:

The sliders (actually, just one) did quite a good job. Both times I went down at speeds much less than 10 mph, first time other than the slider the very tip of the [suspected] mole 2 part got scratched (hardly worth mentioning).

The second time I was... hmm... lucky (??) to go down under rain on the same side (right) and the wheels went off asphalt. Since asphalt was kind of 2-3 inches above the red clay of Georgia, the bike got hurt more.

I consider the sliders \\"expendable\\" parts and I don't see any reason to spend more money than needed (in my books anything more than $30/pair is way too expansive). Dropped the bike, replace the slider, move on. The only important thing is to make sure the bolts are longer and go in no less than the original bolts -- this makes sense from engineering perspective.

Another question (actually, two):
1. Can I buy just the plastic part of the slider? Where?
2. I noticed that the sliders have different height (length?) and the shorter one is on the right. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Here's the link to the site for the sliders
Motorcycle Race Stands, Sliders, Spools, Chocks
I'd email or call them and ask. They were pretty prompt with a response to an email I sent them about stands. Yes, the one on the right is the shorter one. It does look like the part labled mole 2. Good luck fixing her up.

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
that thingy that kinda goes on top of the cowling (see pictures).

1. Can you help me to identify this thingy in the picture? If I am not mistaken, it's the part number 10 that goes under name \\"MOLE 2\\" (eg here: Discount Motorcycle Parts. Wholesale to everyone....). Is it a replaceable part? I hope it is. Is there a how-to for this?

Ouch! Always a sad day to see an FZ6 lying on its side. Glad to hear the damage was fairly minimal to you and the bike.

Yep, That's the part you need, item #10 "mole 2"...be sure to order it in the right color. It's very easy to replace, just pay attention to how the black gasket comes off from around the headlamp as you remove the old piece. I had to do it after a lady side-swiped my bike at a gas station and knocked it over. I replaced the mirror, as well, which was also really easy to do. I ordered from these same folks. At $45.00, I consider this replacement part to be like the sliders. Relatively inexpensive to replace and prevents much greater damage to the fairing.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct! Mole 2 ($50.52) at Ron Ayers. If you order the '08 model, you'll get them in black! ;)

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I just order all parts and it turned out to be less money than I expected.
I've been riding not so long, a couple of months, I am sure both times was may fault. Oh well...

AgMom, the R1200R is a very nice bike, I loved it. Could not justify the price though.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I just order all parts and it turned out to be less money than I expected.
I've been riding not so long, a couple of months, I am sure both times was may fault. Oh well...

AgMom, the R1200R is a very nice bike, I loved it. Could not justify the price though.

Hey man sorry to hear about your damages. Good news is that you've learned some valuable lessons with minimal damage other than ego ;)

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang - I would have told you to get rid of the stickers since they cost so much money (at least the stickers on the fairing do).

The mole is very easy to replace. You have to take the inner fairing off, then the plastic piece that goes around the instrument cluster and the sides, and then you can get access to the two screws holding the mole in place.

like someone else mentioned, there's a small rubber trim piece that attaches to the mole which protects it from rubbing against the top half of the headlight. The rubber trim piece attaches to the mole.

S

sportrider

just to clarifiy, I wasn't trying to be an A-hole, it was an honest question.
I read my post again and didn't want you to get the wrong idea.
chalk it up to experiance so you won't make the same error again :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experiences but glad to hear that you're okay.

I would replace the bolt on the slider. I lowsided a month or so ago and was saved a lot of money by a frame slider also. I noticed on replacement of the slider that the original bolt was bent in the accident. Made me glad that I ordered both the slider and bolt.

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
hey I went down also, the front cowling is around $230.00 from the dealer. What I did , I have a buddy who paints at a bodyshop, I bought 4 oz. of touch-up paint, and had him paint the scratches. You cant tell where the scratches are, unless you get up close. You can buy the rear wings on e-bay around $50.00, I wouldn't put the fz6 decals back on, just leave them off.