Well folks, that's all she wrote for this FZ

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from, wait for it, wait for it.................

1st shake down ride back on the mother freakin F Gosh Dang Z and lemme tell ya what i feel like a million buck getting back on the thing. Bike feels perfect, i was a little worried about the steering how i took the frame apart but i packed some fresh grease in the bearings and slowly pulled the halfs back together. And suprisingly it went together with out a hitch, just like legos, i was incredibly suprised how easy to be honest! oh yeah paint looks great too!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

1st shake down ride back on the mother freakin F Gosh Dang Z and lemme tell ya what i feel like a million buck getting back on the thing. Bike feels perfect, i was a little worried about the steering how i took the frame apart but i packed some fresh grease in the bearings and slowly pulled the halfs back together. And suprisingly it went together with out a hitch, just like legos, i was incredibly suprised how easy to be honest! oh yeah paint looks great too!

Looks great!!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Great job! Very interesting post and repair! :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Preshate' it y'all! I tell ya I really didn't have much hope in the beginning once I saw the crack but I really am quite thrilled how it turned out! I went for a maybe 45mile ride and tomorrow ill recheck the tq on every single nut and bolt.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Job well done!
Has this thread been stickied yet?

This is one of those repairs where the major consensus would be that once you see this kind of damage the frame is wasted and there is only one way to repair it. That's with a new frame.

Watching this thread it appears Chevy has taken careful consideration, research and applied skills and the science of metallurgy/welding to make a responsible decision and repair.

It's always easy to predict failure when no one has been successful at doing one of these repairs. It takes courage and work to be successful against the tide that predicts failure.

I've stickied this thread in hopes it will give our community technical information, insight and ideas to help remind members that in the face of adversity, "It aint over till the fat lady sings" :)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Congrats on the repair :thumbup: Time to update your sig.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for the blow by blow write up and pics Chev, amazing job :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your perseverance! It would take a lot for me to give up on my FZ, just like you. Should I ever find my frame afflicted with the cracked weld issue of the '06/07 era FZ1's then I'd now not question repeating your efforts and performing the same surgery on my bike!

Well done! High kudos!!!

-Eric

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
By the way anyone else having issues posting pics from tapatalk
I think there is a picture limit of Tapatalk until you buy the premium version. I had a few messages telling me I could only post X amount more pictures before I upgraded.

Neil

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the premium version, I hate all the junk that comes with free apps. It fixed itself though I guess, it was saying something like not a valid file for a while?

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Well, I haven't checked this thread since December, so I was happy to see how everything turned out. Awesome job on fixing the almost unfixable, and definitely something to be proud of!

I'm curious if you used the paint that I suggested in post #83:
Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel Spray
Color: 7515838 - Aluminum
RustOleum.com

or the paint that TownsendsFJR1300 suggested in post #85
Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray
Color: 7271830 - Silver Metallic
RustOleum.com

The metallics that experimented with didn't match my 2004 frame/swingarm, but the 7515838 was spot on.

The stuff that I used was also the best spraying can that I ever used, which is similar to what you mentioned. Just curious.