Well folks, that's all she wrote for this FZ

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm actually painting as I type this but for some reason tapatalk won't let me post any pics anymore. But yea that was all my fault on the strom, I locked up the rear ready to drift it around a left turn (for some reason I can only drift left?) an when I went to pop the clutch, nothing, I hit neutral instead of 1st....

So no smokege only dumbassege lol

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm actually painting as I type this but for some reason tapatalk won't let me post any pics anymore. But yea that was all my fault on the strom, I locked up the rear ready to drift it around a left turn (for some reason I can only drift left?) an when I went to pop the clutch, nothing, I hit neutral instead of 1st....

So no smokege only dumbassege lol

I hate it when I hit neutral instead of te gear I want. Speaking of drifting I got a little one on a left turn just now. Love it

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie I was almost about to pull the other half and and take it down to bare aluminum, sand the tank and let it all sit outside for a month or so and go with the farm fresh look!

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie I was almost about to pull the other half and and take it down to bare aluminum, sand the tank and let it all sit outside for a month or so and go with the farm fresh look!

Do it! Reminds me of this jeep
87B877C3-B926-4419-9C5B-EFE0FA501065-7328-000004D34FC432BB.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

LOL !! I was going to say to pull the rest of the frame and paint it, but I think Krylon has a farm fresh color too:BLAA:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Right side looks really good!

Are you painting the left side silver as well (hope so)?

BTW, did you use the Rustoleum I mentioned earlier, are you happy with the results?

I've found that silver dries pretty quick. I wouldn't hesitate re-assembling after 24 hours if the garage is halfways warm...

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I sure did use that rust oleum you told me about and yeah it dried real quick. I want to get a few more coats on before I try and assemble anything. I had originally bought 2 cans of it but I had found out the hard way that mixing crown and corn liqueur kinda makes you clumsy and dropped it and busted the stem out. So ill get another can today, and yeah I had that side of the shop "sealed" off with a heater running keeping it a nice 65*f and right before I shot any paint I took a heat gun to the back side of the frame for a min or so, just long enough to bring its temp up to about 70ish.

And no I actually was not planning on painting the other half lol I sprayed some on a test piece and it matched the bike almost perfect, but once I get it on if it looks goofy I guess ill have to paint the whole thing.

As far as that paint goes, man that has to be the best rattle can metallic paint I've ever used! Even out of some of the $50+ kits that rust oleum kicks their ass! It sprays super easy with no dark or heavy spots and dries really quick! And just like any other metallic paint metallic flakes float around 30min after you spray lol

So Thanks a million for suggesting that townsend!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sure did use that rust oleum you told me about and yeah it dried real quick. I want to get a few more coats on before I try and assemble anything. I had originally bought 2 cans of it but I had found out the hard way that mixing crown and corn liqueur kinda makes you clumsy and dropped it and busted the stem out. So ill get another can today, and yeah I had that side of the shop "sealed" off with a heater running keeping it a nice 65*f and right before I shot any paint I took a heat gun to the back side of the frame for a min or so, just long enough to bring its temp up to about 70ish.

And no I actually was not planning on painting the other half lol I sprayed some on a test piece and it matched the bike almost perfect, but once I get it on if it looks goofy I guess ill have to paint the whole thing.

As far as that paint goes, man that has to be the best rattle can metallic paint I've ever used! Even out of some of the $50+ kits that rust oleum kicks their ass! It sprays super easy with no dark or heavy spots and dries really quick! And just like any other metallic paint metallic flakes float around 30min after you spray lol

So Thanks a million for suggesting that townsend!

Your very welcome...

For the helmet lock brackets I designed and make for all year FJRs and certain BMW's, its about the same silver. I was getting my brackets powder coated but the color was too inconsistant (heat em too long, changes the color). Found this shade, way closer than powdercoat and much easier.

For a really nice metallic coat, about 12" back and just mist it..

The below picture is an FJR frame and my bracket as well as a BMW with my bracket (silver Rustoleum), both colors are about the same, you can see how well they match...

The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, & R Sport

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoulda went for 2 tone - black on right, silver left! :thumbup: j/k! People would do a double take tho! Good Job! Keep pluggin along!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a couple test pieces of aluminum that I prepped the exact same way and sprayed the same paint too, although one got a coat of clear enamel. Holding the test pieces to the bike the one with the clear actually matches the color a little better so I just shot some clear on the frame, will let it sit for about 48hr an then go to putting it all back together!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
heres what it looks like all painted up, not to shabby if i do say so myself, especially for rattle can work. Now i just hope it matches....or at least close...

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
That's some damn fine work for the repair and the paint. Nice to know that you can pull the frame like that if you have to. Very good job sir!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I do 'presheate it! It's amazing how good of a finish you can get out of rattle cans if you take the time to prep the surface right.

HA! To think I was about ready to write off the bike, now I feel like a 5yr old on Christmas Eve all giddy with anticipation of riding it again after a few month hiatus!