We are invisible

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
headlights and a bit of a approaching wobble left to right helps make you more visible.

Like you, this is what I usually do when approaching a busy intersection: the left and right wobble, that is. From what I can tell, it definitely helps you be a bit more visible from the perspective of a car about to enter the road.

X

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful using the “wobble” when entering an intersection as it may convey a signal to the other drivers that you do not intend. The driver may only see you turn one way or the other and assume you are turning in that direction. Also, wobbling, makes it more difficult to take evasive action placing you in the wrong direction and part of the road from which an evasive action should be taken. The best approach, especially when a car is approaching from a side street where there’s no traffic signal, is to slow down, move to the center of the road and establish eye contact with the vehicle posing the possible problem.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I like that wobble idea. I hadn't thought of it. I can see how one minor serve back and forth could a) get an oncoming driver's attention and b) even set him on alert, not knowing what the biker was up to. Within reason, these are good things.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty interesting link. However, like other members have mentioned, the headlight was not on in those pics, it makes a difference in terms of visiblity.

In addition to visiblity, I am a firm believer of lane choice when riding.

Left turning cagers, or cagers pulling out in front of the rider due to the fact that they didn't see the rider will be thier fault 99% of the time. But the rider can reduce the chances of that happening by choosing the lane or line that would be least vulnerable for something like this to happen. And this my friends, will only come with experience. A lot of riders put themselves at greater risks by incorrectly choosing their line of travel. Remember this, when multiple lanes exist, one lane will always be safer than the other.

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought Olympia's bright yellow jacket, and it definitely helps me be seen :) I'm as big as a billboard when wearing it (I'm 6'6")... It's just reassuring knowing I'm bright as can be! :)

I

inkrediboy

Always plan your escape route, and expect every single car out there to take you out. Don't ride like a paranoid freak, but expect everyone to take you out. Lane positioning and as much 360 degree awareness with eye and mirror scanning is crucial. I've been almost hit so many times riding every day, Its just another day and incident now.

Just yesterday I was driving up the 10 east to redlands - and was rolling in a blind spot of this big SUV for a split second. My reaction was to speed up and get "out" of the blindspot as my left and right choices were occupied by vehicles... Well as I accelerated, sure enough this asshat makes last minute lane change decisions, and ends up in my lane as I'm pushing forward. It happens so fast - I chopped out of danger with quick throttle and countersteer to the left, and manuvering a white liner doing 85 mph. The guy whacked right back into the lane he came from as soon as he heard the tach rev out. That one in partcular was extremely close!!!!!!!!!!! I could feel the wind off that guys door panel....

Awareness that this cager was going to make such an idiotic move, had me choose the proper lane position beforehand, and ready my throttle hand for the worst. Left foot was also prepared to downshift for higher RPM take off before any of this transpired. I predicted, and sure enough it happened.

Just another day riding in So-Cal - its a zoo out here, happens so often - I didn't even mention it to Poorwboy. In fact I forgot about it till I read this post.

I think all drivers on the road should take MSF courses - it should be mandatory, bike or not.

RA