Water proofing textiles

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My two year old textile jacket has let me down today. And it wasn't even proper Irish rain. It was as the locals say a "Soft day". When I got to work my t-shirt sleeves were both wet.
I ride in the rain a lot. Last year I wore my leathers for 12 rides and one of those days it rained. So I'm not complaining about my kit.
I just want some ideas on how to re-water proof them.

Nelly

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried using a special S100 spray for re-impregnating textile/leather a few times last year on my 5 year old textile jacket, pants and gloves (non Gore-Tex)... didn't work that well for me but maybe it's better with leather?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
fabric guard 303 from west marine

you can get this from walmart pretty cheap
WATERPROOFING

and then there's nikwax.

dont alternate between the silicone spray with the nikwax. i think the silicone spray will lock out the nikwax...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sent an enquiry to RST as my jacket from last year has started to seep through the crook of the elbow and on my belly, I basically wanted to know if Nicwax was ok to use, this is the reponse:

Hi Adrian

Thank you for your enquiry, we do tell our customers to have a look at the Nikwax website when they need to re waterproof. So the answer to your question would be yes we do recommend Nikwax.

Many Thanks
Dawn

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
fabric guard 303 from west marine

you can get this from walmart pretty cheap
WATERPROOFING

and then there's nikwax.

dont alternate between the silicone spray with the nikwax. i think the silicone spray will lock out the nikwax...

Is there WalMart in Ireland? :don'tknow:

+1 on the Nikwax though

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried the Nikwax and I'm not a fan. Followed the directions and used it on a pair of glove and they leaked. I'm going to try Scotchguard next time or silicone spray. Also I found Nikwax expensive.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
tbh i doubt there's much you can do for your existing gear if it's started letting water through

best bet would be to invest in some goretex gear (which has a lifetime warranty too). rememeber that it's like being subjected to a pressure washer when riding in the road, the clothes need to be able to handle a fairly high level of water pressure depending on speed

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried the Nikwax and I'm not a fan. Followed the directions and used it on a pair of glove and they leaked. I'm going to try Scotchguard next time or silicone spray. Also I found Nikwax expensive.
I've also used nikwax as recommended by Hein Gericke for my HG gear. Also not impressed. That was a really top of the range jacket and the proofing only lasted two years.
I was thinking along the lines of something that is used on tents?

I am no where near able to think about splashing out on Goretex at this time of the recession. Having had a 25% pay reduction money needs to go else where.

We don't have Walmart in Ireland yet, the rumor has been going on for the last 3 years. I doubt they would consider coming over here at this present time?
Nelly

Nelly

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember that the fabric might be waterproof at rain, but at speed water is being forced through the material, and any kind of hydrophobic coating is going to do very little

HG often have good deals on goretex stuff, provided you aren't worried about what they look like that much

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember that the fabric might be waterproof at rain, but at speed water is being forced through the material, and any kind of hydrophobic coating is going to do very little

HG often have good deals on goretex stuff, provided you aren't worried about what they look like that much
Sadly Hein Gericke don't have any stores in the Republic of Ireland.
I could not get hold of any other water proofing agent other than Nikwax TX.Direct.
To be honest it has done the job. I followed the instructions and washed my jacket prior to application without using detergent and then applied it whilst the jacket was wet.
It was expensive at €16.00 for 300ml.

If any of the guys in the US would be willing to ship me the walmart stuff I would be happy to paypal the costs in advance.

Nelly

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the other option is that it's often cheaper to buy stuff from germany (no import tax because it's europe)

there must be a burgeoning market for waterproof stuff in Ireland, doesn't it rain constantly there? :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the other option is that it's often cheaper to buy stuff from germany (no import tax because it's europe)

there must be a burgeoning market for waterproof stuff in Ireland, doesn't it rain constantly there? :D
That's a great idea, now where are our German members?

Nelly

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride in the rain too (year round, everyday biker) and I bought some Hein Gericke stuff last September. I didn't go for Goretex, but their own version - Shelltex. It's brilliant! I've been in some really heavy downpours (the kind where you even consider pulling in under a bridge) and it has never let me down. I know it's pricey, but I think of it as an investment with the amount of riding I do.

I washed the jacket and trousers once, which got rid of the Durable Water Repellant (DWR) coating. The liner still holds up though, but I decided to re-coat it with a spray-on DWR from an outdoor shop (you can use it lots of stuff inc boots, tents and clothing). It's not as good as before I washed it but it helps. You have to re-do it often though!

I've not tried the Nikwax stuff, although I'd give it a go. Heard it can affect the breathability of Goretex though...

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I've not tried the Nikwax stuff, although I'd give it a go. Heard it can affect the breathability of Goretex though...

For Gore-Tex, (and similar) you are better off using Revive-X, which I used on my Olympia one-piece suit. You get it wet with warm water, spray it all over with Revive-X, then tumble dry on low.

Should get a couple more seasons out of it, I hope. :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i would warn against hipora lining though, i had it in my rst gloves and spada boots, was fine for a year, but then both started leaking quite badly during an hour long ride in the rain. boots are now goretex lined.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
i would warn against hipora lining though, i had it in my rst gloves and spada boots, was fine for a year, but then both started leaking quite badly during an hour long ride in the rain. boots are now goretex lined.

True that some liners are better than others. I had some Frank Thomas gloves with Aquapore lining - it was rubbish! You generally get what you pay for, and I learnt my lesson!

I've got some Alpinestars Goretex boots now - love them!