Warped front fork washer/guide?

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings.

2007 FZ6, stock front end.

I tore down my front forks to replace the seals and and noticed that the large washer (#12 in Service manual diagram on page 4-65; or "upper cover guide" part number 4TX-23115-00-00) of one side is different than the other. I'm pretty sure they ought to be the same.

One side is perfectly flat as expected, and the other one is as if you took the outer edge and pulled up on it all the way around. It almost looks like it was made that way, though as I said I think it should be flat.

Has anyone else come across this before?

I'm ordering new ones just to be safe.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_20170916_090419864.jpg
    IMG_20170916_090419864.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170916_090410106.jpg
    IMG_20170916_090410106.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 41

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
#10 and #30 in the Ron Ayers parts fiche. 2007 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6W) Front Fork | Ron Ayers

It looks like maybe that part was not square in it's position at some time and got bent because the inner diameter of the washer jammed on the inner tube when it compressed. Maybe inspect the inner tube for any scoring?

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
We have seen it before. Was the top bushing unseated easily?

I'm not sure what you mean by the top (outer) bush unseating easily. Everything (tom me; first time I have ever done this) appeared the same between the two forks. I did inspect interiors of the fork tubes and did not notice anything amiss, or different between the two.

Thanks.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the outer tube top bushing is driven upwards repeatedly while retained by the wave lock retainer it could in theory bend that washer. Admittedly I think it could only happen during service and if the wave lock retainer were left in place while trying to remove the stanchion tube from the outer tube.

All I can say is everyone I have encountered is flat.

Last edited:

JHM

Reaction score
Visit site
I created one of these by forgetting to remove the retaining ring before slide-hammering the fork tube out. Replaced the bushings, seals and washer after that one. Luckily didn't damage anything major.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I created one of these by forgetting to remove the retaining ring before slide-hammering the fork tube out. Replaced the bushings, seals and washer after that one. Luckily didn't damage anything major.

Thanks for sharing and that fits perfectly as to How it happens!

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that is probably what happened to me. I *thought* I had removed the clip first. Got interrupted at some point during tear-down, etc. and so there you go.

Replacing bushings, etc. and had inspected interior so I think I'm good to go as soon as the new washers arrive.

Thanks everyone for the help.