Visit to cycle gear store

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
So...the Army has me away from home on temporary duty and I'm driving around and what do I see...a Cycle Gear store! I get stoked because I have some money in my pocket and I'm missing my bike...this will be a quick fix.

First let me say: The staff was very helpful and friendly. No issues there.

I always read other forum members who say they like to go into gear stores and try on things before ordering elsewhere. I was shocked to see that the store didn't have ANYTHING in my size except a few glove styles. I didn't see a helmet over size XL and no boots over size 12. I asked a salesman and he said they didn't keep larger sizes because there was no demand for them. Very frustrating for me seeing how I'm 6'3 and wear a size 13 or 14 boot.

It was like torture because the store had a great selection of gear but the sizes were so limited. I left empty handed and this was not the plan.

The salesman also said he could order whatever I wanted if I paid first and I could get a refund for the order if I was not satisfied. He said it would get there in a day or so...but that's not fun. The excitement is leaving the store with the item...oh well. Anyone else experience this?

BTW the store was in Fayetteville, NC>

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Boots are easy for me but it's no picnic being shorter and rounder than you, seems most gear is for someone 5'10 and 155lbs. Chubby little guys ride too:)

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So...the Army has me away from home on temporary duty and I'm driving around and what do I see...a Cycle Gear store! I get stoked because I have some money in my pocket and I'm missing my bike...this will be a quick fix.

First let me say: The staff was very helpful and friendly. No issues there.

I always read other forum members who say they like to go into gear stores and try on things before ordering elsewhere. I was shocked to see that the store didn't have ANYTHING in my size except a few glove styles. I didn't see a helmet over size XL and no boots over size 12. I asked a salesman and he said they didn't keep larger sizes because there was no demand for them. Very frustrating for me seeing how I'm 6'3 and wear a size 13 or 14 boot.

It was like torture because the store had a great selection of gear but the sizes were so limited. I left empty handed and this was not the plan.

The salesman also said he could order whatever I wanted if I paid first and I could get a refund for the order if I was not satisfied. He said it would get there in a day or so...but that's not fun. The excitement is leaving the store with the item...oh well. Anyone else experience this?

The store in San Diego has some good stuff but it's sort of the other way... they seem to have really big stuff but when I tried finding some "Large" pants they only had XL. One nice thing about CycleGear is their 10% discount for active duty! :rockon:

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Didn't know about the 10% discount. I gotta go back and find something now :)
After I left the store I went on line and ordered a pair of SIDI boots from NE. They should be waiting on me when I get home!!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Buying anything in a retail store sucks.
I have big feet, and a big waste, and it's hard to find regular stuff let alone riding gear!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm totally cheeky and just go to my local motorcycle store (infinity) to buy little bits. :spank: But I also go to try on stuff I like to find the best size etc. Then I buy it online or a much cheaper price :thumbup:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I have the same problems locally. One particular problem is that most of the bozo's around here think it cool to not wear helmets - therefore, no store carries a selection of helmets. Of course 'kids' seem to be running the shops so the selection of bikes also tend to favor the younger generation.

So, for me online is the way to go. You get the product you want, you'll know if it is in stock and the return policies are good. Waiting will suck.

Another future problem I see coming is that many of these retail shops/store stock the shelves by the use of credit. Bad economy and no credit = nothing on the shelves. We have cash on hand to spend but the store doesn't have any available credit to acquire the product.

flamewulfe

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle Gear in Daytona has a pretty good selection, including boots up to 15! I know, because my buddy that does Supermoto racing tried a bunch on before he ordered his . . . they have a wall full of helmets, but I'm not sure to what sizes they go to. All in all, they usually do have a comprehensive selection, but for some reason, they sell out of their baclavas and inner glove liners immediately.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
happens all the time around here...makes zero sense too...if you want to sell it, you have to stock it. on that note...sort of...why in the sam hell are most bike shops closed on Sunday?? sat/sun are the biggest riding days.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I asked a salesman and he said they didn't keep larger sizes because there was no demand for them.

Yep. No store wants to keep inventory on hand that's just going to sit. I do the order thing with small gear, and they're good to their word; I've only paid for the stuff that fits and that I take home.

BTW, the Cycle Gears around here have a section called Max Clearance, where all of the things that didn't fit other people reside. They often have odd sizes, and the discounts are 20-40-60%, depending on how long the things have been there (IIRC, 20% initially, 40% after one month, 60% after two months).

However, my frustration is with manufacturers that don't even make stuff in small sizes to start with. Maybe smaller women are too satisfied with things that are a cut below the best that men get. I just want the best gear in small sizes, and I'm willing to pay for it - but gearmakers are generally unwilling to make it.

Dainese's 1-piece leathers are an exception, and Racer's High End gloves; the women's for both are merely women-specific fit with the same features as the men.

B

Bo67

The store in Meridian is about the same. Nice people but limited selection.
Their website is pretty good though.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I scored my A* MX5 waterproof boots in cycle gears "discount" section for $150. They had ordered them for someone who never came for them.

MINE

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
on that note...sort of...why in the sam hell are most bike shops closed on Sunday?? sat/sun are the biggest riding days.

I asked this exact question of the shop where I bought my FZ6 and was told, hey, the people here want to ride on the weekends too! Well, that's great, and I completely understand, but they're also closed on Wednesdays, only open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. when they're open, so the way I look at it is they've got plenty of time to ride.

I think bike shops that are closed on Sundays are losing a TON of money through lost sales of not just bikes, but gear. Then again, I don't really buy gear from a local shop unless it's extremely discounted. Otherwise, I use them to try it on and buy online, where it's usually a lot better price. If it's any consolation...I do feel bad about not spending the money locally. But hey, it's my money and I like to keep as much of it as I can!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Armystrong, sorry to hear about the frustation with CG. The one Austin is great. A zillion helmets in stock, lots of leathers, tires, gloves, boots, ladies gear, etc. Last year I probably spent about $3,500 with them. They are very helpful, and most importantly have very good suggestions on what to buy, and what not to buy. I get typically get a better than 10% discount and I didn't even ask for it. As far as larger sizes they seem to have a wide variety on most items. I guess it will vary from store to store.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Down it Macon its the opposite. Tons of large and XL stuff. I can't ever find anything in small or med down here.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. No store wants to keep inventory on hand that's just going to sit. I do the order thing with small gear, and they're good to their word; I've only paid for the stuff that fits and that I take home.

BTW, the Cycle Gears around here have a section called Max Clearance, where all of the things that didn't fit other people reside. They often have odd sizes, and the discounts are 20-40-60%, depending on how long the things have been there (IIRC, 20% initially, 40% after one month, 60% after two months).

However, my frustration is with manufacturers that don't even make stuff in small sizes to start with. Maybe smaller women are too satisfied with things that are a cut below the best that men get. I just want the best gear in small sizes, and I'm willing to pay for it - but gearmakers are generally unwilling to make it.

Dainese's 1-piece leathers are an exception, and Racer's High End gloves; the women's for both are merely women-specific fit with the same features as the men.

I'm with you there! My local shop still has a size run of Joe Rocket pants that I had them order for me three years ago. I got the size I needed and ordered almost a whole size run because their sizing chart was almost indecipherable. Those guys love me and Rob. They have actually started carrying more styles and sizes of women's gear because I have complained to them about the lack of options in the area. Maybe it wasn't because of me completely, but I am sure my feedback didn't hurt.

Still, manufacturers really haven't figured out that women want safety, too. This is something that still irks me, that in order to get the same protection as men, we have to pay out the nose for it. We can't readily find the same quality for the same prices, until you get into the really high end stuff that costs a lot no matter what organs you were born with.

I have been told at other shops (not the one I do my shopping at) to just look into men's gear if I want the color blue (dark blue, not baby blue), or more variety and better quality for a good price. They don't seem to understand that the FIT is just as much a safety concern as the stitching and armor. Even after putting on a small men's jacket and showing them how it would ride up in the event of a crash because the cut of the jacket is wrong for the shape of a woman, they just don't get it. And manufacturers are of the same mindset it seems, though they are getting a ton better.

ETA: On the flip side, a lot of females who buy gear (or men who buy it for their female counterparts) do so because it makes them look cute and it is better than flip flops and miniskirts. There are a good chunk of women who ride to meet men, and not to actually ride their bikes with any meaning, and I am sure the market is still tailoring to them.

Last edited:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I asked this exact question of the shop where I bought my FZ6 and was told, hey, the people here want to ride on the weekends too! Well, that's great, and I completely understand, but they're also closed on Wednesdays, only open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. when they're open, so the way I look at it is they've got plenty of time to ride.

I agree.

I think bike shops that are closed on Sundays are losing a TON of money through lost sales of not just bikes, but gear.

I've thought the same thing.

I see your from Ky... ever get out on 10 and 22 near Wilder and the AA for a ride? Im out there every other weekend or so.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site

I completely understand. Helmets don't seem to be too much of an issue, but jackets and glvoes are another story all together. You can never find a store to carry XXL Tall jackets, and there is not much of a selection for XXL gloves.