viabration/buzz at 5800-7000 rpm

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from a mini trip (3 hrs) of mixed slab and side roads to prepare for the bigger trip next month (1000 miles). After all my mods to cure the hand and feet numbing viabration from 66 to 80 mph its still there. I just changed the oil to mobile 1 (4t motorcycle 10w40), grip puppies, throttle meister. Checked and torqued every bolt, nut, fitting, hose clamp, screw on the bike - just a few under specs.

Im still getting the very anoying buzz that numbs my hands to the point of severe discomfort after 30-45 minutes (relaxed grip, changing seating position). You can definently feel it in the handlebars (switches, bar ends, etc). Im thinking about making a rubber mounted counter weight to bolt to the handle bar between the clamps to see if it helps.

You can also feel it with the bike stopped and raise the rpm to the same rpm.

If I cant resolve this issue im going to sell it and find something else (which I hate to do because I love it!)

any ideas?

Oh and fyi... been doing this since day 1. Maybe its just normal. Other people have ridden it commented about the viabration.

the engine is a little buzzy, try relaxing your grip. you may be holding the bars to tightly

I agree, the engine is quite buzzy past 7,000. My mirrors become useless after this rpm. Coming from a cruiser type motorcycle, i find that riding the fz6 requires a full body effort; you dont just sit and let all the weight fall on the buttocks. During my first few weeks on the FZ6 my hands were blistering so badly because all of my weight was on the hands/wrists. I was also knumb as hell from the vibes. After awhile I've learned that there are a couple of key position points to get comfortable: the knees/inner thighs, lower back/hips/abdomen, shoulders/elbows and the wrist/hands (1,2,3 & 4). 1) Knees/inner thighs need to hug the tank to support the upper body during breaking and deceleration, and also to help hold some of the body weight from the slightly forward positioning on the FZ6. 2) lower back/hips/abs maintain proper body position and support most of the weight. 3) Shoulders/elbows should be LOOSE with elbows pointing down and hangin. I do the funky chicken dance once in awhile to check myself. 4) Wrist/hands should have hardly any weight on them and are somewhat "floating." Having done all this my rides are so much more comfortable. I don't get numb anymore, but if i go on longer rides, i do get a slight tingling on my neck and hands. Keep in mind that this is what works for me, so it might not work for someone else and yes, its a long ass post. I have no school, work starts in 4 hours and its too hot to ride. If what i have posted so far has been useless to you, have you considered using grip puppies, switching grips, or using heavier barend weights?

thanks for the replies and the heads upon the bar snake not working. Believe me ive tried every seating, grip, body position I can come up with and still...:wtf:. Right now im desiging a bar damper thats going to mount between the bar clamps and see how that does (cant get any worst I guess). maybe im just being a wuss and should suck it up and let the hands stay numb.. dont know.

Jeff
Do you know any Auto mechanics ? If so ask them for 4 tape weights I think they are 5 oz each You could try one at a time, or take and put 2 together and remove your bar end weights and slide 1 up each bar then reinstall Ends and see if that helps that`s the cheap way to go. I THINK but I Am not SURE ,but I think someone makes a weight made of lead that is 8" long that fits tight in tube and does the same thing. On my 90 radian there were 8"bars of lead in the tubes and they kept down the vibes .I only know because I removed them and didn't know what they were for I was hurting after 15 min they went back in quick !! ..
Jeff now to the doctor side of my thinking .Do you have a bulging disk in your neck or back ? I had Back surgery 6 years ago due to blown disk and on long rides my legs and back start getting numb . just a W A T !!!
Greg A.

Wild Ass Theory

Have you been to a chiropractor (sp?)? My girlfriend hurt her back tubing and when she raises her left arm up above her head or holds her arms a certain way, they go numb really fast. Also, my bike vibrated some until after about 1500 miles when I spent a good amount of time above 10k rpms. Smooth now. Also, I ride 50 miles each way on the highway to work with just some normal thickness gloves and stock grips and I don't have any problems. I hope you solve your problem because the FZ is a great bike!

Jeff
Do you know any Auto mechanics ? If so ask them for 4 tape weights I think they are 5 oz each You could try one at a time, or take and put 2 together and remove your bar end weights and slide 1 up each bar then reinstall Ends and see if that helps that`s the cheap way to go. I THINK but I Am not SURE ,but I think someone makes a weight made of lead that is 8" long that fits tight in tube and does the same thing. On my 90 radian there were 8"bars of lead in the tubes and they kept down the vibes .I only know because I removed them and didn't know what they were for I was hurting after 15 min they went back in quick !! ..
Jeff now to the doctor side of my thinking .Do you have a bulging disk in your neck or back ? I had Back surgery 6 years ago due to blown disk and on long rides my legs and back start getting numb . just a W A T !!!
Greg A.

Wild Ass Theory

Well since I am an ASE master tech I think I know a mechanic.. haha. My Idea uses a vibration damper that we have that is used on exhausts and engine cradles to remove engine vibration. No my back is fine, never felt better! Ive ridden dirt bikes (2 and 4 strokes) for years with no problems.

Im going to try some gel gloves and see how that works.

thanks for the help

I have exactly the same problem with my 04 fz6 but the vibrations kick in at about 8k revs, not fun after an hour on the motorway, makes your hands feel like they belong to someone else...

My bearings are a little loose and I wondered whether this was the issue. So I take it this isn't a common occurance?

Howdy!

I'm just a random passer-by, with no good news, because:

I have a 2006 YZF600R, and I have EXACT same issue with my machine ( that's how I found this post ). There's significant buzzing at 5-8k, to the point that it numbs my hands as well. It's been like that since I got it, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.

On our forum ( YZF600R Forums • Index page ), everyone that DOESN'T have an issue claims it's gotta be in the fuel delivery ( our bikes have carburetors ), and that I just need to adjust. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have any effect on things. I've literally adjusted the piss out of the carbs, sync'd them, cleaned everything possible, and done everything you've done above ( new grips, new gloves, tightened bolts, etc. ).

My personal feeling is that it's just an internal issue with the engine, and cannot be fixed without a complete tear-down. And even then, it may not improve much if any. I'm think I'm going to get an R6S next, as I like Yamaha and would like to stay in the family. I'm not too much of a fan of the FZ6, I like all my plastics! ;)

Brad
Funny you ask ,My parents yes both of them just retired as chiropractors .
They couldnt help me after the surgery it made it worse .
Greg A.

Very interesting. I've never been to one, I've heard good and bad but don't have an opinion since I've never been. That's too bad they couldn't do anything.

Howdy!

I'm just a random passer-by, with no good news, because:

I have a 2006 YZF600R, and I have EXACT same issue with my machine ( that's how I found this post ). There's significant buzzing at 5-8k, to the point that it numbs my hands as well. It's been like that since I got it, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.

On our forum ( YZF600R Forums • Index page ), everyone that DOESN'T have an issue claims it's gotta be in the fuel delivery ( our bikes have carburetors ), and that I just need to adjust. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have any effect on things. I've literally adjusted the piss out of the carbs, sync'd them, cleaned everything possible, and done everything you've done above ( new grips, new gloves, tightened bolts, etc. ).

My personal feeling is that it's just an internal issue with the engine, and cannot be fixed without a complete tear-down. And even then, it may not improve much if any. I'm think I'm going to get an R6S next, as I like Yamaha and would like to stay in the family. I'm not too much of a fan of the FZ6, I like all my plastics! ;)

Welcome to the forum, maybe we can convert you! I'm really not sure why there is the vibration, but my bike doesn't seem to have any problem. It did seem to have a little more vibration through the bars specifically with the stock exhaust though. But I am sure it is just in my head and not of any measurable substance.

Back