Valve Adjustments, have you had it done?

Valve adustment, have you had it done yet?

• Yes, I had it done and did it myself.

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • Yes, I had it done by a shop and it cost me.......

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • No, not yet but soon.

Votes: 311 81.6%

• Total voters

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, sorry. It was the stinking chain. I didn't realize how the chain could make it ride so poorly. It still stalls on idle at high altitudes, but I have not balanced the carbs or adjusted the idle. I will check the valve timing then do that task following, and I would imagine the stalling problem will be gone. Not a big deal I have to be above 6k feet before this problem shows up.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

They dont like 12,000 ft either!!
My bike would start bogging at 8,000 plus feet.. but then again so did I!!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit past 33K miles and need to do my valve adjustment. Other than shim gauges, are there any special tools needed? Is this a job I can do in my garage in an afternoon?

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
You need feeler gauges. If you find any valves that are out of spec you will need a micrometer or vernier to measure the shims, and some time to buy the shim size(s) that you need.
Minimum if you're good with a wrench and don't need to change anything is an afternoon. Maximum will depend on how quickly you can get the shims you need. Maybe days.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit past 33K miles and need to do my valve adjustment. Other than shim gauges, are there any special tools needed? Is this a job I can do in my garage in an afternoon?

1/4" torque wrench (if you need to adjust them), feeler gauge (0.005-0.012" by 0.001" increment minimum)

Checking them over is quite easy. If you have to change few shims (most than likely your fine) it's a bit more complicated but not that hard. Patience is your best friend. I bough a shim kit to do mine... 42K miles llater and a FZ6 cam swap... they are still bang on but 2 exhaust valves that were 0.001 too loose. That's fine with me. Since the FZ6 has more lift than the FZ6R I'm very close to max clearance between the valve retainer cap and guide. So I need to keep the adjustment to the maximum tolerance. USe the timing mark on the cam gears as reference, every 1/2 turn on the cam gear line up the timing mark (will be upside down every other time) and check the clearance on the cylinder that is in compression. Firing order 1-3-4-2 if I can remember right... or that was my old Civic. LOL :BLAA:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted no, but I wouldn't say "but soon". My bike has 51,000km on and still runs fine despite my less than fanatical maintenance. If I took it to the dealer now and said "do what the manual says" it would probably cost me more than the bike did.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I find it appalling how a lot of you neglect routine maintenance.

I understand that it's a used bike and a dealership will charge you a leg and an arm for it.

But surely there are cheaper independent mechanic shops out there and worst comes to worst you can do it yourself.

It's not rocket science.

I had two Suzuki C50s at the same time. One had pretty tight valve clearances and another had them pretty loose.

If you would only ride one of them without knowing how the other one works and sounds like you would be oblivious to the fact that there was decreased performance.

After I adjusted one of them it was abundantly clear how much loss in performance there was.

Just because something rides "fine" to you doesn't mean that it actually is.

Overtime and continuous use of your motorcycle you will become accustomed to it and you won't notice any loss in performance etc.

Point is: just because it sounds "fine" to you it doesn't mean that it actually is.

I am horrified all the lack of proper maintenance and your nonchalant ignorance.

That's why whenever I buy a used bike I make sure to ask for all the maintenance records. Even if doing it by yourself, keeping records is important.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it appalling how a lot of you neglect routine maintenance. I understand that it's a used bike and a dealership will charge you a leg and an arm for it. But surely there are cheaper independent mechanic shops out there and worst comes to worst you can do it yourself. It's not rocket science. I had two Suzuki C50s at the same time. One had pretty tight valve clearances and another had them pretty loose. If you would only ride one of them without knowing how the other one works and sounds like you would be oblivious to the fact that there was decreased performance. After I adjusted one of them it was abundantly clear how much loss in performance there was. Just because something rides "fine" to you doesn't mean that it actually is. Overtime and continuous use of your motorcycle you will become accustomed to it and you won't notice any loss in performance etc. Point is: just because it sounds "fine" to you it doesn't mean that it actually is. I am horrified all the lack of proper maintenance and your nonchalant ignorance. That's why whenever I buy a used bike I make sure to ask for all the maintenance records. Even if doing it by yourself, keeping records is important.

Easy big dog, you do not Know other peoples situations or level of training, experience or expertise. Do not be so quick to judge. Suggest why it would benefit them and maybe be a little more easy with the delivery. By putting a judgement In Your first statement you alienated half the readers.

Yes it's beneficial to do routine maintenance , we all agree.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm taking a break right now but that's what I'm doing on the SV1000s today.

Valve lash is also important because you can end up burning a valve if the tolerance is too close. There is no real warning to tell you to check your valve lash clearances except maybe a burned valve and then it's too late and you're going for major bucks.
The first valve lash check and adjustment is probably the most important one. This is when the majority of clearance changes occur and there's a good chance they will stay pretty close if not dead in the tolerances for a long long time. Make sure you do the first one! :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My SV is a little different Lol!
Notice the hybrid valve train drive and scissor gears. They have a very distinct sound.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy big dog, you do not Know other peoples situations or level of training, experience or expertise. Do not be so quick to judge. Suggest why it would benefit them and maybe be a little more easy with the delivery. By putting a judgement In Your first statement you alienated half the readers.

Yes it's beneficial to do routine maintenance , we all agree.

Ohh please. This isn't forum full of kindergarten

I didn't call anybody names nor was I mean.

I really enjoy this forum and the people here. Harsh criticism is just tough love amigo.

All people should be able to follow a set of instructions. Some member here did a step by step instruction on how to check the clearances with detailed photos included on every step. It's always scary to open up the engine for the first time.

Hell for my first bike a '78 CB400 I had the crazy idea to completely restore it. I took apart the whole bike, including the engine. Took me whole winter to put it back together. I learned a lot, I do admit however that jetting carbs is still black Voodu magic to me haha

I understand people have different levels of skill. I am no super human mechanic either. We all experiment on our bikes and through that we learn new skills etc.

Point is proper maintenance is recommended.

Just becasue something sounds fine, it doesn't mean that it actually is.

Also if you think my tone of the original post was too harsh, well I can't help you with that. Welcome to the internet. We all need to drink a good old cup of Harden the Frack up. Internet is apparently a serious business haha

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Notice the hybrid valve train drive and scissor gears. They have a very distinct sound.

That reminds me, i gotta do the initial valve check on my V-Strom. Sigh...

I am dreading the time when I will have to tear open the Kawi Councours' engine.

I have not appreciated a naked bike more ever since I bought the Concours. All the plastics are driving me nuts!

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna look into this... Sounds important. Motogiro.... Your lady's undressed. Sparkys thinking of a new years ride if weather permits.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That reminds me, i gotta do the initial valve check on my V-Strom. Sigh...

I am dreading the time when I will have to tear open the Kawi Councours' engine.

I have not appreciated a naked bike more ever since I bought the Concours. All the plastics are driving me nuts!

The V-Strom should be similar to the SV although 2012 650 and up have the Gladius engine and may be slightly different.

I removed my seat and tank and washed down the bike to reduce any dirt from dropping in.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohh please. This isn't forum full of kindergarten

I didn't call anybody names nor was I mean.

I really enjoy this forum and the people here. Harsh criticism is just tough love amigo.

All people should be able to follow a set of instructions. Some member here did a step by step instruction on how to check the clearances with detailed photos included on every step. It's always scary to open up the engine for the first time.

Hell for my first bike a '78 CB400 I had the crazy idea to completely restore it. I took apart the whole bike, including the engine. Took me whole winter to put it back together. I learned a lot, I do admit however that jetting carbs is still black Voodu magic to me haha

I understand people have different levels of skill. I am no super human mechanic either. We all experiment on our bikes and through that we learn new skills etc.

Point is proper maintenance is recommended.

Just becasue something sounds fine, it doesn't mean that it actually is.

Also if you think my tone of the original post was too harsh, well I can't help you with that. Welcome to the internet. We all need to drink a good old cup of Harden the Frack up. Internet is apparently a serious business haha

I have a bad tendency to stretch things out. But it's my choice and its my bike. Obviously if something happens to my bike, nobody to blame but myself. I choose to have things done maintenance wise by somebody else for the most part Whether it's a shop or a friend who enjoys wrenching. I rather pay someone and use that time for something else. Kind of like cooking, I don't cook. I let the professionals do that for me. I don't have to spend the time to go shop at the grocery store, buying all the pots and pans, utensils etc, and don't have to spend the time cleaning and put away the dishes. Yeah, probably not economical for the most part, but that's what I choose to do. Could be Taco Bell tonight, and Ruth's Chris Steak tomorrow..

WaffleKing13

Reaction score
Visit site
just checked my valve spacing, all of the intake side were identical but the exhaust side was all over the map, e.g. some slightly over and some slightly under. measured about 3 times and between check 2 and 3 all but one matched the previous measurement. it seems possible but it's a bit unnerving when one side is dialed in and the other is all over the map. am i just paranoid or is this par for the course?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just checked my valve spacing, all of the intake side were identical but the exhaust side was all over the map, e.g. some slightly over and some slightly under. measured about 3 times and between check 2 and 3 all but one matched the previous measurement. it seems possible but it's a bit unnerving when one side is dialed in and the other is all over the map. am i just paranoid or is this par for the course?

Long as none are too tight (too little clearance) don't worry about it.

Having them all the same will help smooth out the idle tho! Make less vibes at idle and make TB sync easier. If those things don't bother you and they meet spec, it should be fine.

I'll admit, I'm like you and would fix them if more than 0.0008" variance exists. Also if some are bordering on too tight. As the valves heat, they grow so they have more clearance than the intakes which get cooled with an incoming charge.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Never saw this....

I wonder why they didn't just opt for better cam thrust bearings and run helical gears as opposed to tensioned units like that? Sure would have been lighter and much quieter too!!!

At leasts its not the nightmare the Duratec V6 is in my cage - Think of FZ with 2 chains off the crank snout. 1 for each bank! Plus variable Valve timing too!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never saw this....

I wonder why they didn't just opt for better cam thrust bearings and run helical gears as opposed to tensioned units like that? Sure would have been lighter and much quieter too!!!

At leasts its not the nightmare the Duratec V6 is in my cage - Think of FZ with 2 chains off the crank snout. 1 for each bank! Plus variable Valve timing too!

Yeah those gears sound like I'm running a blower! Lol! It is a great motor though and it has nice wide power band. The factory red line is 11k which is nice for a twin and it does what you ask of it all the way to the limiter. The SV1000 series have always been noisy bikes. The clutch baskets are noisy but there is a fix when it's time for service. Even if I could get the bike I want today I would miss this ride. :) Okay...enough hijacking.

WaffleKing13

Reaction score
Visit site
just finished the valve spacing and put it back together, checked the spacing after the cams went on and it seemed i had done it right. the only problem is when i went ahead and started her i got one hell of a racket. im working on stripping her back down now but i'm not sure what i did wrong.

The only things i can think are i was off by a tooth, or ... there was a point in the middle of working on it when i heard a semi loud ping and realized that the pickup rotor shaft wasn't at the case marking, leading me to believe it had turned quite a ways when the intake cam shaft was still on (though extraordinarily loose, cap bolts were in like 1 turn) not sure what to think, guess i'll know soon enough maybe.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just finished the valve spacing and put it back together, checked the spacing after the cams went on and it seemed i had done it right. the only problem is when i went ahead and started her i got one hell of a racket. im working on stripping her back down now but i'm not sure what i did wrong.

The only things i can think are i was off by a tooth, or ... there was a point in the middle of working on it when i heard a semi loud ping and realized that the pickup rotor shaft wasn't at the case marking, leading me to believe it had turned quite a ways when the intake cam shaft was still on (though extraordinarily loose, cap bolts were in like 1 turn) not sure what to think, guess i'll know soon enough maybe.

Sorry to hear this.:( It sounds like you may have kissed the valves.