V.I.O. POV.HD Helmet Camera

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, just thought I'd post a link up here for anyone that's interested in helmet camera systems. I've recently got myself a POV.HD and I'll be wearing it 100% of the time I'm on the bike.

Not only will this make me more careful to observe safety and road laws, but act as a reliable witness for any accidents that may or may not happen.

Got some nice footage riding home from Thetford on monday which shows off the camera rather nicely :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w_V8m5H3ZI]YouTube - V.I.O. POV.HD Demo - Changing light conditions‬‏[/ame]

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
can u take some pix on how u mounted it...i might want to get a contour hd camera

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
I was using the Contour up until last week, there are videos of that on the same channel.

I'll get some pictures taken tomorrow when I'm back with the bike :)

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the quality :D

I am in the quality of practicing body position and that stuff along with my riding buddies so we definitely need a camera to record the rides and then review.

but man ... for god's sake ... be careful out there you're riding on the wrong side of the road :BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent quality! Why did you switch from Contour to this one though?

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm attracted to the 'tag' function on the VIO. It'll record for 5 hours and you can 'tag' parts with the remote control, this leaves you with only the bits you want and not hours and hours of nothing. I also felt the need for full HD :)

With the cable dangling, you get mostly wind noise, but for proper video making I'm using an audio technica mic plugged into the camera for better audio.

Number plates are exactly why I have it (besides the whole Youtube thing). If I get hit, I want to know exactly who did it!

Pictures coming shortly.

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Alrighty then.

This is my helmet with a big patch of Velcro on top of it. This came with the camera and is super heavy duty. It's not coming off.
149zk28.jpg

This is the camera head attached to the 'Star Mount'.
293zthf.jpg

This is the bottom of the 'Star Mount' with the Velcro attached.
2ms26j6.jpg

Here's the camera head stuck to the helmet via the Velcro.
r0pclz.jpg

..and the overall view.
167nhb5.jpg

It's simple and easy to put on and take off, and it takes some real force to get it off. It stays dead steady at speed.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm attracted to the 'tag' function on the VIO. It'll record for 5 hours and you can 'tag' parts with the remote control, this leaves you with only the bits you want and not hours and hours of nothing. I also felt the need for full HD :)

With the cable dangling, you get mostly wind noise, but for proper video making I'm using an audio technica mic plugged into the camera for better audio.

Number plates are exactly why I have it (besides the whole Youtube thing). If I get hit, I want to know exactly who did it!

Pictures coming shortly.

So you can plug in an external mic? That is nice

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a huge dent on your helmet right above the logo? What did that? :eek:

is it time for a new helmet ? :D

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
So you can plug in an external mic? That is nice

You can indeed!

Is that a huge dent on your helmet right above the logo? What did that? :eek:

is it time for a new helmet ? :D

Haha, no. It's just massive amounts of dirt, I do need to replace it but if it was damaged it'd be much higher on my priority list :p

sardo_67

Reaction score
Visit site
i just got a POV HD for some use here in Afghanistan but i'm not too sure how the "tag" feature works, can you elaborate a little on that?

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not entirely what I thought either, it records the whole time but when you hit the tag button, it puts a little marker in the video file at that time.

You can them compile your tags after shooting and this makes a bunch of short clips (you set the length) with your tags right in the middle, therefore getting videos of only the action you want.

But you do still have to be recording the whole time.