Using the Rear Brake

How much do you use your rear brake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the city both front and rear - 100%. Coming from the cruiser side of the house, and the teachings from the MSF course - I got very used to dual breaking and its habit now. In fact, I begin to feel guilty if I cheat and use just one on my R1. Using both brakes to compliment one another will give you that much more stopping power with less applied force minimizing threat of lock up by slamming and counting on one. Really A combination of compression engine braking (clutch slow release downshifting), plus front and rear braking, are ideal. All 3. In the twisties - when riding agressively I found light tapping of the front brake a couple of times (not using the rear) and compression downshifting to control entry speed are ideal for me. Keeps me in control of throttle through the turn by placing the bike in the right gear for entry and exit acceleration while never touching the rear (the idea of lowsides caused by rear lockup freak me out). So in that instance I brake my own rule.

I guess you do what works for you, but when you need true stopping power - and really need to come to a strong stop or decrease your speed with authority - there is no should I use this or that. Its all 3 compression braking, front and rear in combination. In times of need - you don't have time to rely on bad habits. Its got me out of some hairy situations for sure. Use all 3, its a good habit, and a very safe habit.

I mostly use the front only. Rear brake only gets used on gravel, as a backup on hard stops, and while riding with a passenger.

With a passenger I find using the rear a bit to backup the front takes some of the pressure off the wrists.

Although there are good techniques discussed above; I still think that the majority of riders use their rear too much. One must get to the point that using the front brake is instinctively the first to get grabbed in an emergency.

I use the rear brake whenever I plan to stop. I use the front to slow right down, then ease it off while easing on the rear... find that it stops that slump forward onto the front if you've had to slow down quickly. Much tidier stop IMO.

Also, use it during slow speed manouvers... (whilst learning that is)... u-turns etc.

And once I've stopped at a junction (intersection...lights....) I always hold the bike on the rear... I find its easier to take off at speed if one foot is already on the peg.

When I first got my bike, I was surprised at how well the back worked. Now, not so great. It's great when on an incline while at a light. I can relax with left foot planted while the right holds the bike. In SF area hills, the rear brake is invaluable. I, as others, try to use both. In emergency stops I've got it pretty good down now: not too much on rear while heavy, as much as needed on the front. The rear locks so easy in hard braking. I need to switch to heavier fork oil.

I don't use mine very much either. I feather it some when entering corners to get my speed right and on quick/emergency stops but otherwise I mainly just use the fronts. My front pads are half gone and my rear still looks new after little over 5000 miles.

According to every text book and driving teachers, you're not supposed to use the rear brake at high speeds. The rear break is suitable in city traffic or low speeds in general.

It kind of makes sense, doesn't it? Applying the rear brake before a high speed turn doesn't seem logical to me. A bit too much pressure, and you're high-siding instantly after releasing the brake.

According to every text book and driving teachers, you're not supposed to use the rear brake at high speeds. The rear break is suitable in city traffic or low speeds in general.

It kind of makes sense, doesn't it? Applying the rear brake before a high speed turn doesn't seem logical to me. A bit too much pressure, and you're high-siding instantly after releasing the brake.

Be very caution when use rear in wet condition, i have fishtail my FZ6 twice when doing a harsh braking on wet aft rain in one month. I used to use both brake on my Honda CB400 which the rear break is very weak i think so i developed a habit of 50/50 braking, but i feel the FZ6 rear break is much stronger in certain way, so when i tap it hard my rear wheel fishtails like hell :eek:.......God bless i manage to get back the control and never fall :rockon: But i will never use the rear again in E break, and i am starting to practic it, 100% Front...

First post on this forum so hello from me.

If anything, I use the back brake more on the road than offroad. It gets used on its own when filtering and riding very slowly 'cos it gives better fine control over steering at very slow speeds. It almost always supplements the front when riding with a pillion and in wet weather.

Worth noting that until the rear wheel is entirely unweighted by weight transfer to the front under braking it can contribute to slowing down. Doing so will stabilise the bike.

In the dry the Fazer's front brake is more than capable on its own, but I often in addition use the rear for the reason above.

I also find a light drag on the back brake when accelerating on wet roads helps prevent wheelspin.

If I'm riding pretty hard I'll steam into a corner with the front on and apply the rear coming out of the corner whilst accelerating to get the bike upright and to minimize the risk of sliding

I don't know if this is right or not, but I use the rear brake constantly. I begin almost every non-emergency deceleration with the back brake and follow up with the front if needed. Coming to a turn if the back brake is enough I don't touch the front. I like the feel of using the rear and not compressing my front suspension. Sometime I don't roll off the throttle when braking with the rear if the situation calls for it. Also it doesn't bother me to lose a little traction at the rear tire.

The rear brake has always felt like an "all or nothing" pedal. I don't use it under emergency breaking because the front is much stronger, and the rear wheel pops up under hard front braking, in which case only a little pressure will lock the rear and cause problems when it touches back down.

Last week I actually used the rear brake alone in the beginning and middle of a turn, and it felt so much more responsive and useful. Using the rear brake can increase your turn in, so if you are on a bad line in a turn or going way too fast you can use the rear brake a little. Using the front in a turn is bad because it'll likely stand you up and you won't have enough time to stop before running off the road.

It doesn't contribute as much braking force as the front, but it still contributes.

I use it when I need to slow quickly, and I use it to hold me at a stop. I'm short, so at a stop, left foot on the ground and right foot on the rear brake.

Any track instructor will tell you to forget you have a back brake, but that is for the track. Real world driving requires a good 75% to 80% use of the front and 20% to 25% use of the rear. Applying the brakes to both wheels will slow you down quicker.

Last week I got an opportunity to experience what happens with too much rear brake. Slowing for a curve in the N. GA mountains, the rear locked up on a tar snake. Next thing I get to experience a separated shoulder. Would have been worse if I had not been wearing correct apparel. High side is the down side of rear brakes.

If you have to stop quickly, the front brakes will always have the major load, so you pretty much have to use them. Some of the weight is going to come off the back under hard braking so the back brake will contribute very little. For speed control or decending I think the back brake is more useful, as there is a drag effect. Definitely for holding your position when starting on a hill the back brake is very useful, or driving in a slow, tight situation like a parking garage. Ideally, one would use a little back brake everytime, but its not really practical.

Back