Useful mods, ergo related.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
After the seat mod I'm looking at different mods to make the Fizzer more comfortable and useful. Things like levers and bars come up a lot in these parts.

Levers: Pazzo or other, do they really make a difference or is it more cosmetic? The Pazzo's are pricey, but I'll spill for em if they work.

Bars: Whats the benefit of different bars. I read a bit about straighter bars. Why?

Setbacks plates: Benefits?

Grips: Going to order the Grip Puppies. Any other suggestions?

Anything I missed? Too old to care how loud it is or how cool it looks. Riding all day and long distance and feeling better when I get home is my main objective.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the exact objectives as you, don't care about looking cool,
more saddle time without hurting is what I'm after. Took a >2000 km
trip last week and think I have a pretty good understanding of what I'm
after. Priorities are a better screen, stock, Puig DB and OEM Touring have
not worked for me, gonna try a Cal Sci touring screen next. Still feel like
I'm leaning forward too far although this is not a crotch rocket. In order
to get as upright as possible for comfort I end up with locked elbows, never
a good thing. In order to unlock the elbows I need some forward lean that
puts more weight on my wrists than I want and I'm sure this is contributing
to the numb hands problem. The solution I'm gonna try is the SW Motek
bar riser kit as discussed here on the forum. Bars are moved up and back
without requiring replacement of any hoses/cables/wires. I've also read
about filling the bar with lead shot or silicone to deaden it, and some better
grips should help. Then I'm onto a seat, gonna do the above stuff first tho
as the stock seat doesn't seam too bad for me and I'm gonna see what the
different position does for that first. As for the straight bars (like the FZ1 bar
mod) I believe this is solely for better positioning for agressive sport riding.
Can't see how they would do anything but make the bike less comfortable
for long rides, maybe I'm wrong tho. Will post up the results after I do the
above.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me see if I can help the OP out...

Levers: Pazzos aren't just for looks. I was skeptical of spending $150 (what they cost when I got them) on levers, but after you take the 5 minutes that it takes to install them, you'll notice an immediate difference in the smoothness and ease of the pull (on the clutch). It's amazing, but it's true.

Bars: Most people that change bars go with FZ1 bars or drag bars (i.e. straighter bars, no rise.) This puts your wrists in a more natural and straight position, thus reducing fatigue. It does give you a bit more of a forward position, but not that much and the angle more than compensates for that.

Setback plates (or aftermarket rearsets): No, no, and no if you're looking for comfort/ergo mods. You sound like you want a more upright position and that's not the point of these. They move your feet further up and back, thus tilting your body forward (that more-aggressive position again.) So these you don't want if you're looking to improve comfort.

Grips: Grip Puppies are a great place to start. I've never heard anything but good things about them. Possibly going to a grip with a larger or smaller diameter would help as well.

I would also recommend a Throttle Rocker. If you don't know what it is, Google it...lol. Believe me, that thing has saved my throttle hand a million times.

As far as the seat goes, I couldn't take the stock seat for more than 30 minutes, so now I've got a Corbin and I can literally ride all day without ever thinking about my rear end. Top Sellerie, Corbin, Yamaha Comfort Seat (to a lesser degree) are all good alternatives to the stock seat.

The 1" up 1" back risers work well too and you won't need longer cables (but you'll have to cut some of the zip ties that hold cables to the fork legs to give a little more play.) I had those for a while and really liked them, but my riding style changed to a more sport-oriented one, so I sold them.

As far as what you can do for yourself, I almost religiously wear a Camelbak water pack on every ride, whether it's hot or cold outside. You'd be amazed what having water right there will do for you as far as fatigue goes.

That's all I've got for now...lol. I know it's a lot, but I hope it helps! :thumbup:

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx CCHOUSEKY. I installed a Throttlemeister when I bought in 07, that was a must as 3 weeks after purchase I rode from DE to TN. The seat I have already had customized and it feels close to a Corbin, maybe better for my riding style.

I'm starting to get the itch for the Pazzo's. Grip Puppies I think I'll order tonight. I'd like to check out a Fizzer with the FZ1 bars, them coupled with the riser you mentioned sound like a real possibility.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
You're welcome, FZ-B! I actually had a set of Throttlemeisters for a while, but with my more sport-oriented type of riding, I didn't actually use them that much. I couldn't use them now, anyway, since I've converted to naked and I'm using CRG bar-end mirrors.

The Pazzos are nice, believe me. I've read the knock-offs seem to be of good quality at about 1/3 the price, but I'll stick to the real deal. FWIW, I've got the shorties and you can still use 4 fingers when you need to.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Rizoma bars, Rizoma Sportline grips/bar ends and Pazzo levers (not shorty's).

I am soooo happy with these changes. The bike is very comfortable to ride now and the Pazzos feel wonderful.

Lots of people have gone for the "cheap" Hong Kong levers, and a lot of them are happy with them. I preferred Pazzo - they have a good reputation and the price didn't scare me too much.

Get what you can afford. If you can't justify spending $180 on Pazzos then don't do it - get what is in your budget.

Any mod is a good mod :D

Don't forget to post pics when you start modding