Final motorcycle update.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, last week end was a long week end...

As some of you know, i had started to modifie my FZ6 pretty heavily, my last update had been the addition of new fork springs and new fork oil, and although the result was great, i was always curious how much a good quality shock and some Gold Valves Emulators could do to the bike.

I know have the answer!

So, i got started with the Gold Valves Emulators, the instal is pretty straight forward, if you have done the oil change it's pretty much the exact same thing once again, apart from the fact that you have to remove actual damper rods to drill them. Simple enough. Although i was happy with 10w oil with just the springs, i decided to go with 15w with the emulators. I also used the yellow valve springs with 3 turns of pre-load

Then i attacked the rear, replacing the stock shock with a Shock Factory M-shock, they are handmade in France, buy Mike Capon, Ex from the EMC brand, after talking to him for a while we decided to upgrade the spring to a 13,4 kg/mm. The shock is adjustable for compression and rebound with a single knob adjusting both parameters.

The reason i went with this pretty unknown shock was mostly the price, they are a pretty new business, one man operation, have a 2 year warranty, can be serviced for cheap, and cost half of what a more famous band goes for.
There was no way i was going to spend a fortune on a Ohlin or something fancy, and this shock was to good a deal not to take the risk.
I also had a few calls with Mike, and he sounded like a very knowledgeable guy, in love with his work, and ready to take the time to get things right.

Now, the result.

I weight around 185lbs without gear and my stats are as follow:

Front static sag: 20mm
Front rider sag: 32mm

Rear static sag: 6mm
Rear rider sag: 28mm

To keep things short, it feels like i have a new bike!
What impressed me straight away isn't so much the comfort, to be perfectly honest, the bike is not that much more comfortable, suspension is pretty hard, and you will still feel very large bumps and pot holes.
It's the way the bike deals with things and how much better it tracks through the turns. Everything is so much more controlled and subtle, it's incredible.

Right now, it feels like nothing can upset the bike in turns any more.
Before, any small road imperfection in a turn would affect the line and get some sort of wobble in the bike, and try to make it fold on itself a little.
Now, nothing can unsettle it, it just keeps it's line, reacts amazingly to inputs, and completely absorbs any imperfection.

The most obvious way to judge it is the increase in entry speed in a few well known corners, i can enter the same corners 20mph faster and feel so much smoother doing so.

The last part of the upgrade was to change the brake lines to HEL performance dual lignes, front and rear. And to instal the new brake pads.
I went with Carbonne Lorraine carbone xbk5 (front only, kept stock in the rear), they really are great pads, for some reason not used much on our bike, but they have a good reputation on other forums, and they are well worth it.

The brakes are now pretty incredible, they are 1 finger for most things, two fingers and a smooth pull and the rear wheel is up in the air.
A lot more braking power, a great feel, and a very progressive bite.

I also installed some Techspec Gripster pads, and after riding with them for a day i can say they do what they say they do!
You don't really notice them that much, but they do offer a lot of grip, and make moving around the bike a lot easier. Definitely worth the money...

I think this is it for the mods, i will still be trying to go +2 in the rear soon, maybe do a 520 conversion on my next chain, and instal the setback plates.

I am also booked in to do a Dyno tuning with the co next week, will report back!

Apart from that i think i am done!

If any one is interested, here is the list of mods i have done, more or less in historical order:

-Simpson Detour belly pan
-PowerBronze seat cowl
-Evotech performance radiator cover
-R&G aero sliders + axle sliders
-Leo Vince exhaust + Evotech perfromance tail tidy
-Fz1 handlebars + Progrip 717 grip + mirrors
-Alumiunium footpegs
- -1 front sprocket + SpeedoHealer
-90mm/kg Racetech springs+ 10w oil
-Evotech Performance folding brake/clutch levers
-Racetech Gold Vavles Emulators + 15w oil
-Shoch Factory Mshock
-Hell Performance SS lines + CL xbk5

Just in case someone is interested, here are my top mods:

-1 in the front is top 1, it makes the bike so much more fun, it changes it's character and really makes it more fun to ride!

The FZ1 bars along with new grips and new footpegs. Top 2
The FZ1 bar gives you a lot more control, as do the grips and pegs, you wouldn't believe how much the stock ones slip around until you have used something else.

Fork springs in top 3, in a perfect world i would say replace the whole suspension, but the springs are the weakest link, and if you only have the budget to do one thing, do the springs.

If you can though, don't hesitate to do the whole suspension, it really is the weakest link of the FZ6 and you have no idea how much better it can be made without spending a stupid amount!
The FZ6 has now gone from a bike that i really loved to a bike i will never sell, it is that good...

Now, the best part:

DSC_4031_zps888dac22.jpg

DSC_4043_zpsdfc640b0.jpg

DSC_4037_zps589bbfc0.jpg

DSC_4056_zpsb6bb6b21.jpg

DSC_4054_zpsbac4a771.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks Good and it sounds like you hit that happy spot where both ends are being compliant and behaving properly through the corners!! :thumbup:
Its NIGHT an DAY when it behaves as it should! It really makes the bike fun to ride!

So, on the emulators, how is the rebound damping and what size of hole did you drill?? Ride it for a bit an let us know how the forks are doing!
If you want to adjust comp damping, is that possible by taking the caps off, or must you dive deeper and do a tear down?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks Good and it sounds like you hit that happy spot where both ends are being compliant and behaving properly through the corners!! :thumbup:
Its NIGHT an DAY when it behaves as it should! It really makes the bike fun to ride!

So, on the emulators, how is the rebound damping and what size of hole did you drill?? Ride it for a bit an let us know how the forks are doing!
If you want to adjust comp damping, is that possible by taking the caps off, or must you dive deeper and do a tear down?

Thanks, and yes, i am very happy with the result!
It's weird because there isn't much improvement comfort wise, things are still a bit shaky and bumpy, but it feels so much more in control, it's incredible.

It's almost as if the original suspension was all made of rubber bands, and now it's all slow, settled and precise.

Regarding the emulators, i left the rebound hole as it is, i just drilled the compression holes out, ended up with six 8mm holes, in 3 rows of two, spread 90 degrees.

One thing about the emulators, is that once installed the emulators only control the compression rate, the rebound is only controlled by the stock damping rod, and the oil weight.

Although i was very happy with 10w oil in the stock forks, as i felt it helped control the compression and slow down fork dive, it gave to little rebound with the emulators so i went to 15w. To be honest, 20w might even be better, there is still a very slight second stroke when compressing the forks hard.
Time will tell if i try heavier.
Compression wise i used the yellow (stronger) spring, and set the emulators at 3 turns, which is the middle setting. I couldn't find much from previous users so i decided to start in the middle.
IMO 3 turns is already pretty hard, and is definitely to much if you want a smooth bump soaking rider, but for spirited riding it feels great.

If i want to adjust it all i have to do is open the caps and dig for the valve under the springs, no full tear down needed anymore.

My rear shock is also right in the middle click wise, i will give it a few days until i start messing around with things.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I might suggest you fiddle with the stanchion tubes moving them up the triple. Your bike being lighter than our faired friends (nose), riding higher, and 0.9kg/mm springs, it may respond to turn in more favorably.... Mine is at 8mm (R6 forks tho, a tad shorter than OEM), and it makes it very flickable.

I've had mine between 8 and 16mm up the triple and 10 mm is good, but 8 mm is more comfy at higher speeds.

Warning tho; if you breech 10 mm AND >16Xkmh over rough road it may not be the best experience... So, baby steps!

Also, I just rode another FZ this weekend where we set the tubes are 6mm and you can tell it helps, but totally feel the difference in the two bikes. However this could be tire profile too PR's vs S20's. And yes, mine rides harsher feeding all the road back to the rider but I know exactly what its doing so I'm happy!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
They have been up by 4mm since i have done the springs a few months ago. And the bike is already very flickable as it is.

Right now i think i need to ride the bike more before i start trying to fine tune things, it's easy to make things worst trying to make things better, and now that pretty much everything if tunable one way or another i think it's definitely worth seeing what a middle of the road setting for everything will do...

Maybe in 1000km or so i will start to experiment a little, right now it's like learning to ride a new bike!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update, i have put my 48t sprocket in the rear and it is awesome!

The bike just revs like crazy, it climbs to the redline like it never did before, it's like it is possessed... The only negative i have to mention is that i now cruise on the highway at 80mph at 8000rpm. Personally it doesn't really bother me, but the low rpm crew might not like it.

Top speed wise, i could hit 130mph, coming from 136 stock, and 136mph with -1 in the front, so not a massive loss, and honestly the way it pulls up to top speed with -1+2 really makes up for the loss of a few MPH.

Regarding front wheel under hard acceleration i have not noticed a tendency to lift the front like some people have mentioned. Yes, it does lift if you jerk it open past 8000rpm, but you still have to try to do it for it to happen.

One thing i noticed, which could just be random, is that on the first spirited ride with the +2 sprocket i got rear wheel spin quite a few times when exciting fast turns.
I don't know if it comes from me being more aggressive on the bike or the bike getting carried away with the new gearing, but it had never happened to me before, and it happened a few times since.

Now, regarding the suspension, let me say one thing, DO IT!

It's incredible how much better the bike is! Since doing the suspension, i have pretty much gotten rid of my chicken strips, just because i feel so much more confident in the bike.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you better behave as much as possible! Blah

A Snap-shot of 16/46 vs 15/48, w/Speed of 60mph:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you better behave as much as possible! Blah

A Snap-shot of 16/46 vs 15/48, w/Speed of 60mph:

It has become harder and harder to behave the more i ride it!
It really is amazing how much better this bike has become.

Thanks for the snapshot, i already studied these numbers a lot using Gear Commander.

The wheel spin was interesting, as much as loosing the rear surprised me the first time, when it happened the third time of the day i was pretty relaxed about it and knew how to react.
It's something that had me worried for a while, and now that i know what to expect i feel better about it!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It has become harder and harder to behave the more i ride it!
It really is amazing how much better this bike has become.

Thanks for the snapshot, i already studied these numbers a lot using Gear Commander.

The wheel spin was interesting, as much as loosing the rear surprised me the first time, when it happened the third time of the day i was pretty relaxed about it and knew how to react.
It's something that had me worried for a while, and now that i know what to expect i feel better about it!

Curious, do you have dirt bike experience?

For the past 5000 miles I've been running an 023 rear and it gives up a bit of traction compared to the tires I'd been running (016 & S20). For the most part when warm and on a good surface its great. On damp Chip-Tar or HOT chip-Tar, you best be careful of extreme inputs or the back will be stepping out (just don't chop it and it seems to settle in fine). The S20 would hook up on the tires side raising the nose and this one may come out if such things are done. Its a more exciting Tire! :D What are you running and what is the condition of most roads you ride?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Curious, do you have dirt bike experience?

For the past 5000 miles I've been running an 023 rear and it gives up a bit of traction compared to the tires I'd been running (016 & S20). For the most part when warm and on a good surface its great. On damp Chip-Tar or HOT chip-Tar, you best be careful of extreme inputs or the back will be stepping out (just don't chop it and it seems to settle in fine). The S20 would hook up on the tires side raising the nose and this one may come out if such things are done. Its a more exciting Tire! :D What are you running and what is the condition of most roads you ride?

I have no dirt bike experience, i did do a lot of mountain biking when i was a kid, but i don't think that counts...

My rear tyre is also a Battlax 023, it's the only rear tyre i have had on the bike so i can't really compare it to anything else.

Road condition is good to average, some is pretty rough.
It's all country side roads, there isn't much consistency.
We haven't had rain in weeks, so the roads are becoming a bit dusty in some places.

Each time was more or less the same situation, big sweeping turn, leaned over, rpm at around 7000, and as i rolled the throttle on when it reached 10 or 11k it started to spin and slide out a bit
I am a firm believer in letting the bike do it's thing, so all i did was close the throttle ever so slightly and it hooked back fine.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Love your bike, might have to copy some of your mods.

Thanks a lot, since these pictures i have changed the rear sprocket to a +2, it is the same gold as the rims, it looks awesome!

I still have to instal the setback plates, have you done yours yet?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot, since these pictures i have changed the rear sprocket to a +2, it is the same gold as the rims, it looks awesome!

I still have to instal the setback plates, have you done yours yet?

No, I'v been putting it off, I'll probably do it the week before my next track day.