Upgrade grips or Grip puppies

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did my longest trip of thus far, only 79mi down to my parents house and back. It wasn't in reality that bad but the first weekend Ive had the bike and they were all side roads with wonderful CA traffic.

I noticed on the way back that my hands got pretty numb, I've read that its mostly due to rider position and putting a deathgrip on the handlebars:spank:, I've tried to avoid this but would still like to upgrade or change my grips.

I also noticed that the grips seemed a bit small to be, atleast smaller than my Dads Harley.

I wanted to know peoples opinions on gel grips or grip puppies....

I was looking at these two grips or grip puppies...
Pro Grip 719 RVGS Open End Gel Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Pro Grip 699 Open End Sportbike Gel Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Opinions/recommendations all appreciated!:BLAA:

buckeyethunder

Reaction score
Visit site
Harleys have 1 inch handlebars,fz6 7/8 inch.Lose the death grip,adjust bars to comfy position and yes get grip puppies.Inline 4 cylinders have a little buzz(vibration) at certain rpms.

gilesc

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Grip Puppies. $9.80 per set delivered. They help take out the numbness/tingling and they made me realize that I was indeed gripping too tight. On a another note, I bought an 07 FZ1 yesterday and while this bike did not have Grip Puppies on the grips themselves, it did have something similar on the levers. I had never seen/heard of this feature before and I am intrigued. I pick the bike up tomorrow and I will post pictures/opinion after proper evaluation. Keep it twixt the ditches!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i used to get numb hands from the bike all the time.. i put on a set of grip puppies 2 years ago and have never had numb hands since.. good luck

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site
I added grip puppies and the definitely improved things (well worth $10). I DO still get problems with numb hands, but I also find myself leaning too hard on my arms and/or death-gripping some of the time. One of the best things about the grip puppies is the added size to the grips. I have pretty big hands and the stock grips were uncomfortably small.

So they won't magically fix all your problems, but they will definitely help.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
grip puppies, huge difference. And if you like the thickness of cruiser grips it's another plus.

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never used gel grips, so I can't say if they are any good. I can say that grip puppies are cheap and worth trying.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, the price of puppies is so cheap I can't justify not having them. When I bought them I figured that for ten bucks I'll turn them into a coozie somehow if I didn't like them :D:D

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the grip puppies in the mail this morning! Tried to put them on but got stuck on the first rib of the grips, ill try later when I get more time. Im excited to try them out after all these great reviews:BLAA:

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
I got them myself last week, the only issue I have is my can move around a bit around the grip, they aren't really "stuck" on the grip. Anyone have this issue with the puppies? I used liquid soap to put them on it took some effort to get them on, it's been about a week since the install.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Grip Puppies help remove the vibrations but they are so large.

I found that it was not as easy to come off throttle, 1. because I had to open my hand much larger than normal to release the throttle and 2. the foam would stick to my hand so well that it was harder to come off throttle.

I would use a nice gel type grip at standard size and make one of these, I call it my Throttle Angel.

I made it myself to help relieve the numbness and help with circulation of the hand.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/32840-throttle-angel.html?highlight=throttle+angel

gilesc

Reaction score
Visit site
There were somewhat of a challenge to install. I had to push some then pull some. I used water with heavy dish soap. Well worth the effort IMO. Will be putting on my FZ1 next.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just rolled them up.. start at one end and roll from the center out.. it makes kinda like a donut.. then you just have to get it onto the bar end and un-roll... takes a little bit of work, but no more then 5 or 10... hope that helps...

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Grip Puppies are the only way to go especially if you have large hands. You can put them over any grip. The cost is awesome considering things now days. :thumbup:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Grip Puppies. At first I wasn't too keen on the increased grip diameter, but after a few rides I quickly grew to like it. I've had mine for two years now. The left one is starting to split so it's time for new ones but for the price I'm not going to complain.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to bump this up again, but no feedback regarding my grip puppies to my earlier question. I put then on little over a week ago but they still "move" around my stock grips, to put them on I cleaned the grips, used liquid soap and slid them on, I figured within a day or 2 they would hold tightly to the grips, but they don't. Is this how they usually tend to be or did some of you do something different to make them "stick?"

Thanks.