Unusual Tire Wear?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I got home yesterday and noticed this!

View attachment 30633

The tires were in great shape yesterday morning, and a mere 2 hours later it looks nearly pulverized. It only covers a small part of the tire, the rest of the tire shows NORMAL wear. I don't do burnouts, rarely do wheelies, and ride reasonably easy.

View attachment 30634

I am at a loss for words, there should be no reason for a brand new (as of 2 months ago) Pilot Power 2ct made in the 19th week of 2009 should show this much wear after only 5,500 miles, when the tires are rated for 10,000+ miles.

(After inspecting the date it was manufactured, age is not a factor)
View attachment 30635

So i guess my question is, does this seem normal for somebody who does not ride hard, do burnouts, or stunt - for the tire to show signs of heavy wear after only half of the tire's rated life. I am making a trip to the dealer with all my receipts and pictures in hopes of receiving a new or discounted tire.

I feel like the dealership sold me a defective tire and I deserve a new one if not at lest 50% off for the hassle. Is this unreasonable?

What are your guys' thoughts?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never gotten more than 5,000 miles out of a rear tire.seems normal to me,I do weigh 225lbs though,and my wife rides with me alot.but if the tires are suppossed to last 10,000miles i would definitly try to get some kind of pro-rate on the replacement (never hurts to ask) :rockon: :D

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
5,000 miles out of a Pilot Power 2CT sounds about right to me. That is a sport tire, not a sport touring tire, so it has a softer compound to acheive better grip which results in a shorter life. If it were a sport TOURING tire, I'd be concerned, but being that it is a sport tire (and often used for track days from what I've heard), it doesn't surprise me. Rated for 10,000 miles is a joke.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree.. Pilot Power 2 is a 5K tire.. I just installed Pilot Road 2's today, (sport touring, not sport) and I'll be very happy if they last 8K..

Where did you get the info that they're rated as a 10K tire?? And no, I'm not being snippy with you, but just trying to figure out how or why you ended up with that bad info??

I've got several bikes, and I run a lot of tires, and I love the Michelin products.. Don't let this shy you away from the Michelin product line.. My suggestion is that you try Pilot Road 2 next time.. Great, sticky tire with excellent wear and wet weather traction.. Just purchased a set from Tires Express for $250ish, shipped.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks you guys, maybe my expectations for the tire were too high. My battleax's lasted me 10,000 miles so I was hoping for at least the 10,000.

I weigh 170, riding solo most of the time. Perhaps this is normal wear and tear afterall. I suppose I'll steer clear of the sports tires and stick more to the touring tires. They're great tires don't get me wrong, I was just hoping for almost twice the distance out of them than I actually got.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
You expect a super sticky sport tire to last 10k plus miles? I see nothing wrong with that tire except that it's plain worn out. Be realistic with what tires you run and what you expect to get out of them. There are numerous sport touring tires that offer excellent grip but will give you double the life of a super sticky, the Michelin Pilot Road 2 being one of them.

Take this as a lesson learned

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree with most of you, this is the 2nd set of PP 2CT's that I got 17,000 miles. Although most of the miles were acrued from commuting, I do take several spirited rides down in Southern California.

First thing that popped into my mind after seeing your tire, Tire Pressure? How often did you check them?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/33171-2cts-17-616-miles-replaced-pilot-pures.html

I think you might have the record for mileage on PP's, I have never heard of anyone getting similar mileage. I need new PR2's at 22k km, and the Diablo Strada's before them were done at 20k km., and I don't see anything wrong with that.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're running Pilot Pure, he's running Pilot Power.

My bad, Pilot Power Pure..
Maybe the mileage is due to the light weight?? Hell, I dunno..:BLAA:

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
OP, like others have said...that is perfectly normal. When your tires get to the wear bars, you should be thinking about another set pretty soon.

I disagree with most of you, this is the 2nd set of PP 2CT's that I got 17,000 miles. Although most of the miles were acrued from commuting, I do take several spirited rides down in Southern California.

First thing that popped into my mind after seeing your tire, Tire Pressure? How often did you check them?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/33171-2cts-17-616-miles-replaced-pilot-pures.html

you are the exception to the rule. the major outlier. your results are not normal.

I get 3,000 to 5,000 out of similar tires and so do 95% of others.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering if a sprocket change or chain conversion from a 530 to 520 would make a difference in the tire life? I'm still on the traditional sizes.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's more to do with a combination of road surface and riding style.. I know I'm hard on tires.. Always have been.. I tend to accelerate hard, brake hard, and my tire treads are feathered to the outside edge of the tire. (aka-I live for corners)..

Hell, there's no chicken strips on my GoldWing, and the peg feelers get shorter with every ride..

My riding style eats tires.. But more importantly, my riding style is how I have FUN!! The price I pay is tires, and I accept it!!

Bwwwoooohaaaaahaaaaahaaaa!! My FZ is wearing a new pair of these, as of 2pm today!!
Michelin Pilot Road 2 Dual Compound Tires - Z-Rated - Package Specials: Tires: Package Specials: Tire Express

michelin-pilot-road-2-tyres.jpg

I've also got them on my VFR.. The former owner of my FZ was very easy on tires (lightweight woman who wasn't agressive) and the BT020's BARELY made it 9000 miles.. Looking forward to seeing how long the PRII make it..

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten about 3500 miles out of my rear Diablo Rosso Corsa and it's not got much left in it,but I'm never keen fitting touring tyres,as like Paper,I prefer stickier simply because of the confidence it gives when your pushing on :thumbup: if you're not wringing it's neck at every opportunity,then it makes sense to get a tyre with a good compromise though.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're not wringing it's neck at every opportunity...

Well, that's the reason I don't own a Harley... :thumbup: I've ridden most of the bikes they've made for the last 20 years, and none are fun to run around corners and tight stuff. Almost none, but Buell's not being made anymore. :shakehead:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, that's how they look when the time comes. Back wears twice as fast as the front. I'd say 5,500 miles isn't too bad for the back, 6 or 7,000 is about average. Are you putting in too much tire pressure? That can cause more rapid wear in the center of the tread.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, that's how they look when the time comes. Back wears twice as fast as the front. I'd say 5,500 miles isn't too bad for the back, 6 or 7,000 is about average. Are you putting in too much tire pressure? That can cause more rapid wear in the center of the tread.

As Defy said, I guess I'm not normal. My front tire wore down before the rear. Don't get me wrong, I don't baby them either.

I ride the twisties and a very spirited pace, I'm definately not the fastest, but probably faster than the average. If I'm first, I take off from a red light quickly to create time and space from the vehicles that are behind me. But not to a point that I'm doing power wheelies down the road.

I ride in an environment that's over 100 degrees over 100 straight days. The pavemet is very hot during the summer, probably over 130 degrees. Well, hot enough to pretty much burn your skin. Maybe the hotter the climate, the longer the wear.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride in an environment that's over 100 degrees over 100 straight days. The pavemet is very hot during the summer, probably over 130 degrees. Well, hot enough to pretty much burn your skin. Maybe the hotter the climate, the longer the wear.

That's what has me puzzled.. I've always been told that excessive heat will eat a tire.. Hence the reason for proper inflation. Lot tires creat tire heat, and that eats tires..

I would think that living in the Vegas area would be tough on the tires, and many of the roads out there look like a tire grinding surface just waiting to happen..

Vegas, since it's been brought up with the short living tire, what are you typically running for pressure?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what has me puzzled.. I've always been told that excessive heat will eat a tire.. Hence the reason for proper inflation. Lot tires creat tire heat, and that eats tires..

I would think that living in the Vegas area would be tough on the tires, and many of the roads out there look like a tire grinding surface just waiting to happen..

Vegas, since it's been brought up with the short living tire, what are you typically running for pressure?

48 psi in front, 58 psi in rear...........

Joking....but honestly

34-35 front, 38-40 rear.