Tyres

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I am not hard on the bike but after just 4500 miles I need new tyres, what is recommended in the uk for general use commuting etc and that will give a good milage.

Thanks

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Hiya,

I'm in London and commute to work every day. I'm running Continental Road Attacks at the moment and they have lasted me about 7K so far. They are getting quite flat in the middle but aren't down to the wear marks yet.

My next set will be a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT tyres since they have the dual compound so should last a bit longer in the centre without wearing out so fast, but will still have good grip on the twisties.

I hope that helps.

db

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
I started off with Bridgestone BT 020 tyres front and rear which I thought was very good for mileage & wet weather grip until I got a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s front and rear.... they're are awesome and to tell you the truth I don't think I'll be going back to the Bridgestones. Good grip in all weather, quick warm up times and good mileage as well.

Unless you're running a sports tyre I don't know why you are wearing them out so soon. Only two things I can think of... either you're running them hard (which you say you're not!) or the pressures are off, check them, I run 33 front and 36 rear but only today I was told they should be more like 36 / 42psi. I'm trying to find out more before I adjust the pressures! Hope that helps! :thumbup:

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt replys, the current tyres are the stock dunlops.

I am surprised how fast they have run down, especially as I am still a novice. The rear has started to flat in the middle which surprised me as I ride a lot of twisties in sussex. The front worries me a bit as the right of the tyre is nearly down to the marks and the rest is fine. I don't think I am hard on right turns and when I have ridden slow on a dusty surface the pick up on the tyre is even and in the middle.

I would think the rear has another 500 left in it but the front is really due now because of the uneven wear.

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
mostly commuting 35 miles a day country twisties, some occaisional weekend rides again twisties. Certainly not a hard sport rider, try to go smooth but quick

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
mostly commuting 35 miles a day country twisties, some occaisional weekend rides again twisties. Certainly not a hard sport rider, try to go smooth but quick

Here's my opinion on the ones I tried:

- BT020: Annoyingly hard, bad grip, great mileage
- Conti Road attacks: Good grip and good mileage, get in temp rather soon but the new dual compounds available in other brands are a better choice IMO
- Pirelli Strada: Good for what the BT21s lack. Get in temp very fast, and as such they are better suited for short rides in town. Not very good mileage (but other people may disagree)
- Michelin Pilot Powers: Very very good grip, not so good on milage. Get into temp very very fast. Single compound tire.
- BT021: My favourite, as I was a weekend warrior :D They get good mileage and have soft compound on the sides which gives very good grip.
I would avoid BT21s if you do a lot of short rides.

We don't get much rain down here, so I can't really comment on their performance in the wet.