Turn signal lights flashing too fast...

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
When i bought the bike from a friend he had a rear fender eliminator kit installed with some cheap led turns, with factory front turns...the lights always flashed fast due to the leds. Ive since removed the led turn signals and installed a motodynamics integrated rear brake/turn kit, ive also done the VS-02 naked kit as well. i thought that by installing the motodynamic kit that has a resistor built in it would end the fast flashing that i get. but its still happening unless i use the hazards then its normal speed. Any ideas as to what i can/should do to fix this? any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:

turns
ed75e24b.mp4 video by VeeDubbinJetta91 - Photobucket

hazards
36486a03.mp4 video by VeeDubbinJetta91 - Photobucket

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is that the resistance isn't enough. The problem with standard flashers is that the resistance needed is almost specific to a vehicle.

Try getting the digital flasher module. They're fairly cheap, and the install is simple. Or if you want, add in more resistance. Just remember to add the new resistors in series not parallel.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
OH GOOD GOD you are low on blinker fluid! get some FAST or else the whole thing may explode!

That reminds me... I gotta pick some up on the way home today. :)

Yes - I am 99% you have a lowered resistance due to the bulbs. This happens to everyone when a turn signal burns out. I don't know what the resistance is, but if you really want to run the LEDs you have now, you'll need to add something to compensate. Either the built in resistance isn't enough or isn't wired properly.

To check that last 1%, plug in the stock bulbs if available to see if everything works.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is that the resistance isn't enough. The problem with standard flashers is that the resistance needed is almost specific to a vehicle.

Try getting the digital flasher module. They're fairly cheap, and the install is simple. Or if you want, add in more resistance. Just remember to add the new resistors in series not parallel.

Add the resistors in parallel (not series) to simulate the correct load...:D Adding resistance in series will reduce the current further. This will not correct the OEM flasher rate.
The LED uses less current and you want to increase current. Either an electronic flasher or added parallel resistance. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That reminds me... I gotta pick some up on the way home today. :)

Yes - I am 99% you have a lowered resistance due to the bulbs. This happens to everyone when a turn signal burns out. I don't know what the resistance is, but if you really want to run the LEDs you have now, you'll need to add something to compensate. Either the built in resistance isn't enough or isn't wired properly.

To check that last 1%, plug in the stock bulbs if available to see if everything works.

Measure resistance in the bulb filament....That's what your resistance should be. remember this will be parallel resistance not series. What's the wattage of you OEM lamp filament??? :D

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys..headed down to the local Cycle Gear and picked me up a speedmetal yamaha electronic flasher relay and it cured the problem :)