Turbo time. Seriously.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking awesome!

I guess I'll join the 'think they know' crowd, but in the other direction. I'm no engineer, but your explanation for how the turbo should work sounds believable, right? It sounded like you were saying that at X motorcycle rpm you estimate you will have the same flux of air (the same volume per minute) hitting the turbo as when it's mounted to the car, so you figure that's when it spools up (assuming exhaust speed is roughly independent of rpm). Sounds legit to me.

If a guy say he knows and gives a reasonable explanation, make pop corn and watch!

Exhaust flow is proportional to displacement and RPM. So a bigger displacement engine turning fewer rpms is the same as a smaller displacement motor turning faster. Think about an engine as an air pump and this makes sense. The air flow going through the motor is the only thing that matters, so if X CFM is coming out of the exhaust ports, it'll put the turbo in a certain efficiency range whether its a 5L diesel or a 3L car engine or a 1000cc motorcycle engine. The engine's horsepower tells you more than the displacement about how much air it is flowing through it.

Fredd

Reaction score
Visit site

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty cool.

I'm set up wit the PLX MAp sensor on the 6R too. Work very well. I use it to fine tune the off throttle under 20% throttle. Bike run smooth as hell.

What you're using to tune? Autotune or will all be done on a dyno?

If this is the route you use... Get a LCD-200 with a 1G SD card. The thing can data log and with the Autotune your tuning capability is endless!

Download this too, totally worth the $25.00!
MegaLogViewer HD Download

Here's an example of what's going on. I used it to tune my FZ6R and FZ-09.

Have fun!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered an '03-'06 R1 swingarm to put on the FZ. I also got my intercooler in, and it looks like I'm going to run into some space issues with it. I won't be able to run it under the radiator, in front of the turbo like I planned because the tire will hit it. So instead, I'm going to run it along the bottom of the bike, in front of the oil pan. The end tanks will be angled to accommodate lean angle and I'll put an air scoop and maybe a fan on it to direct air through it. I also plan on running R6 lower fairings (cut up and minimized of course) to help with airflow through the intercooler and to make it look cooler. Progress is going pretty slowly waiting on parts, but it's coming along.

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job so far. Awesome to see someone with the motivation and knowledge to perform such a project. I have faith you can get this turbo spooling. Prove all the na-sayers wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Updated the album with the intercooler fitment FZ6 gets a turbo - Imgur

hcK5fE6.jpg

The compressor housing's outlet is going to be cut off and an elbow welded on to point toward the intercooler's end tank. The final locations of the inlet and outlet hole on the intercooler's end tanks have yet to be determined.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Updated the album with the intercooler fitment FZ6 gets a turbo - Imgur

hcK5fE6.jpg

The compressor housing's outlet is going to be cut off and an elbow welded on to point toward the intercooler's end tank. The final locations of the inlet and outlet hole on the intercooler's end tanks have yet to be determined.

Goodbye ground clearance. I guess when you have ludicrous speed, you don't need to use the stairs to evade the police. :D

I'm not a turbo expert, but I would think a bend that close to the outlet would require a smooth mandrel bend.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Goodbye ground clearance. I guess when you have ludicrous speed, you don't need to use the stairs to evade the police. :D

I'm not a turbo expert, but I would think a bend that close to the outlet would require a smooth mandrel bend.

There will be plenty of ground clearance because the front of the bike will be elevated!! :rockon:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site

The intercooler sits about an inch lower than the headers did, and the only time I bottomed out on the headers was riding off a curb. :rockon:

I'm probably going to use a silicone elbow coupler to get that 90 bend off the turbo to work. Either that or change the orientation of the compressor housing and relocate the wastegate actuator, which might end up being easier.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm slowly starting to get more parts in. I've ordered the R1 rear subframe (2002-2003); a bent one because it was stupid cheap and I figure I'm going to have to cut it up and tweak it anyway. I also got a R1 seat in and amazingly, the little notch that locks the front of the seat is exactly where it needs to be for the FZ6 so the R1 subframe may take little to no modification to get it to work on the FZ6. The R6 lower plastics are on the way, the R1 tail plastics are on the way, the R1 (2004) swingarm is on the way, and the R1 (2000) triple trees are on the way. So I'm going to be piecing this bike together shortly.

And one more surprise for you guys, I've got an ultra rare set of Durrani forged magnesium wheels that I'm going to throw on. I'm going to make sure this bike is as much as a looker as she is a go-er.

1798gfY.jpg

Last edited: