Turbo FZ6 at Texas Mile????

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I saw AF1's photos of the FZ1. The FZ1 ran 158 mph. Not bad at all for a standard.

From what I understand the FZ6 blew a huge cloud of smoke on the second pass. Then they were never to be seen.

Thanks for the photos.

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
The turbo FZ6 story. Wanted more out of my FZ6 Tried cams and exhaust first strong top end 8k rpm to fuel cut. very bad low and mid power. torque dip at 6k rpm worse 3k and below useless. Changed back to stock parts. wanted new faster better machine just did not have the money. Did some research on turbos and chose garrett GT1548 turbo. Rear mounted install with long tube headers and front mounted intercoolers. 8 fuel injecotors with large airbox. The why and how to. long tube headers no loss of non boost low rpm torque, Front intercoolers best location to cool 400 degree compressed air, Large air box to avoid surge and allow engine to breath. 8 injectors low cost better performance easy to control air fuel ratio. The result 140 horse power at 8psi manfold pressure. idle to 3k rpm no change from stock 3k to 5k rpm a little more power than stock. 6k rpm torque dip gone. power ramps up very smooth linear no dips or humps in dyno chart or felt. more comfort on highway turns 5k rpm at 70 mph. almost stock exhaust sound. slight wistle from turbine. Turbo miles 15,000 in 3 years. Very happy with results. Next What I learned first hand by doing this not theory,not smomething i read about, not what i saw someone do. A bone stock fz6 engine can run 8psi boost with a simple clutch spring change and timming backed off 4 degres with no part failures. With the head gasket from cometic 0.060 inch thickness no timming adjustment needed on pump gas 93 octane unleaded. I tried a few things along the way water meth injection multi port high pressure 150psi found more trouble than any small gains dont recomend for street bike use. Stock engine 12.2 to 1 compression ratio pinged badly at 15 psi no mater what i did. Head gasket change made tunning very easy. no loss of low end torque felt or seen on dyno from comprression change. maybe loss below 3k rpm dont know not dynod bellow 3k. Switched to power commander 5 and yes it plugs in to any year fz6. works much better than pc3.
Auto tune works great. The only draw back i have found is the stock pistons melt on the intake side at very high boost (23psi) with lean air fuel ratios. custom forged pistons expinsive. turn down boost adjust fueling used e-bay engine much cheaper. This is my first post. so am sure its wrong in some way. I can insert images in post if some one wants any and can tell me how to?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey John Welcome and thank you for posting up. I know many people here would love to see photos of your work if you don't mind sharing.

:welcome:

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
[QUOTE you can attach pics by clicking the "manage attachments" button /QUOTE]

Could not find button were exactly is this button? I did find Add photo album in user CP. Is that the place to add photos to attach to reply mesages?

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
[QUOTE How are you returning the oil from the turbo to the engine? Electric pump? QUOTE]

Gravity 5/8 hose drains to engine above oil level with an extension tube a few inches inside of engine. check back in a few days will be posting photos. Very simple and reliable design. An electric pump that drains out on top of clutch was my second choice I try to use K.I.S.S. method of engineering whenever posible.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The light bulb just went on for me.

I had thought that you had the turbo low mounted at the 90 degree bend just behind and below the transmission. I see it's actually much higher than that.

At the spot I had been thinking of, gravity drain would not have worked, which is why I asked.

I'm eagerly awaiting pictures.

Fred

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
how much heat transfer are you seeing with the intercooler behind the header? No problems with heats soak in the city?

No heat transfer not as close to header as it looks. at a stop heat rises up not sideways to intercooler. air box does heat soak after shut down sits right on top of hot engine. intake air cools back down one or two minutes after restart does not seem to cause any problems,

John F

Reaction score
Visit site
It is mostly carbon fiber till i ran out. tested at 30 psi works good. Exhaust cut adds way more power but its very loud. turbo does not like exhaust back pressure. better to use cans. stock muffler too restictive but looks good.
found some dyno charts. 8 psi on super unleaded stock compression. The line with less low end torque is longer duration cam. no gain in peak power.View attachment 27411

View attachment 27412

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey John - Are you headed to AF1 for some tuning? They'll really help you dial it in nicely.