FZ6 Blown Engine - options?

captaincrunch42

Reaction score
Visit site
All,

FZ6 enthusiast, have owned two and just got bit by my 9100 mile 2007 FZ6. Everything was running perfectly until a hard 1-2 shift at redline, boom, engine blown. Coasted it to the side of the road, had it towed to an honest shop that I trust, and got the bad news that the engine is toast.

Engine replacement estimate is $3100 which is far more than I want to put into the bike, and I lack the time or competence to replace an engine myself on a 15 year old bike.

What options do I have? Anyone have experience with something like this that can tell me a) where do I go about selling something in this condition and b) what is a low-mileage FZ6 without an engine worth?

-Tommy

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spun bearings (typical of an over rev) are an easy fix as well. I wish the bike was closer, I’d give you a low-ball offer and steel it from you.

In my opinion, an engine swap is doable by an inexperienced person who has good tools. It’s a simple swap.

captaincrunch42

Reaction score
Visit site
We can't tell exactly what failed, but the end result was that the chain jumped off the sprocket and sliced through the crank case.

What do ya'll think the bike is worth in its current condition?