Triumph Street Triple R review

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Triumph's lone entry in the middleweight, do-it-all sector, the Street Triple, has passed us by since its debut in early 2008.

More...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely love this bike, the only downside I see is the low fuel capacity and range.
When the Fizzer finally dies, I'm hoping this will be next.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike...I too want a triple when the fizzer is done...either the speed Triple 1050 or the Sprint St 1050.

Thanks for posting!

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Come to the dark side, Bill...:thumbup:

my new sprint replaced the FZ6 2 weeks ago. I love torque

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I would have loved to have is the triple's engine in the FZ6. I like the half fairing, big tank, center stand, underseat exhaust look, etc...just wish the engine was torquier and the transmission a little smoother in the 1-2 change.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I made the switch from FZ6 to Street Triple R, albeit unwillingly since I wrecked my FZ, but in hind-site am really glad that I did. Aside from highway wind, which I've gotten used to, the STriple is a superior bike in every sense of the word. Handling, power, brakes, seating position, gauge cluster, everything. I added a fly screen (OEM Triumph) that has helped with the wind, but the FZ is still more comfortable at highway speed for short trips. I had a Corbin seat on my FZ that helped, but my stock Triumph seat is still even better than that.

My brother still has his FZ6, so we switch occassionally. I still miss my FZ because it's a great bike, but I love my Triumph that much more. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to step up the naked middle weight game.

EDIT: About the fuel range, it's actually a bit longer than they posted in that article. My fuel light usually goes on around 150 miles, which means I have just shy of a gallon left. I think if push came to shove, I could approach 175-190 miles before truly running out of gas.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
A close frind has a Speed and he's had no issues in two years. That's just him though, and I don't know about their general reliability.

However, he does know 3 guys with Speeds that have more than 100K on them. :eek: Pretty nuts.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Triumph reliability is pretty rock solid. They are by no means the company they used to be in the 70s. The old saying of "If it isn't leaking oil, you're out of oil" doesn't apply anymore. I'd easily put them on par for reliability with Yamaha. The only downside is that maintenance is kind of expensive. I normally do my own anyway, but had the first checkup at the dealer for safety-sake.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I was really interested in a street triple until I actually saw one in the dealer, they are godawful ugly (IMO) and are almost as tacky as the new ducati 696, the R was a little bit better but the overall quality of the bike always looked ALOT lower in my eyes in comparison to the FZ6N, especially all the anodised parts.... /spews
I didn't bother test riding one because I knew no matter how good it rode I couldn't live with the look, and it was about 40% more than my FZ6 on road.

I've always had a thing for the Yamies though, so I am biased :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I was really interested in a street triple until I actually saw one in the dealer, they are godawful ugly (IMO) and are almost as tacky as the new ducati 696, the R was a little bit better but the overall quality of the bike always looked ALOT lower in my eyes in comparison to the FZ6N, especially all the anodised parts.... /spews
I didn't bother test riding one because I knew no matter how good it rode I couldn't live with the look, and it was about 40% more than my FZ6 on road.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if yours is wrong:thumbup: Just kidding bro. I really liked the look of the true naked FZ also, but it's not offered here in the US. Very few true naked bikes are offered here, so the Triumph is one of the best options out there.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
they are godawful ugly (IMO)

Seriously? That bad?

2668626640_bf3c6d824f_o.jpg

2667805873_38e36f8e24_o.jpg

2668626492_f24368ceae_o.jpg

Ok that's a Speed Triple with a few mods, but they look like the Street...

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand how you can dislike this bike... it rocks! :rockon:

Would be on my the top of my list for next bike if I were ready to buy.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE the triumph street triple r is so sick, it is definitely one of my top choices for my next bike:BLAA:

Coming from the FZ, you'll be very happy with the STriple R. It's been an amazing bike for me and definitely more capable in most other naked bikes I've ridden.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously? That bad?

2668626640_bf3c6d824f_o.jpg

2667805873_38e36f8e24_o.jpg

2668626492_f24368ceae_o.jpg

Ok that's a Speed Triple with a few mods, but they look like the Street...

Actually David, I believe that is a Street Triple. The Speed Triple has a single sided swing arm and this picture shows the double sided swing arm of the Street Triple. However, this is either one of the new black STriple R's or this person did some major upgrades on their own. Notice the radial brakes and fully adjustable suspension.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site

To each his own, I guess. I think they're pure sex.