Tried Doing a Wheelie, Didn't Go So Well... [VIDEO]

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just want to learn them... it's not like I'm out on the street or anything like that. My bikes paid off, so a crash wouldn't really hurt my financially although it would suck. (I kinda want a FZ07 anyways). I'm wearing full gear as well. Also, it's not as if I'm a new rider so I do have decent bike control. The way I see it, the chance of me going down doing this isn't really any greater than when I'm at the track.

I get that people keep saying power wheelies are easier, and they are. But that's not what I'm trying to learn, I can already lift the front no problem with just gas. I want to have more control though.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike (for cheap) after the original owner tried his first (and only) wheelie that way... Unfortunatly, no video, just a broken wrist and a bike that lost half its value...

$1,500 in parts later and a bunch of time... (Not shown is the rt mirror, rt bar end, bent main stay, inner fairing, etc)...

Ouch, sucks to be him! Perhaps he just didn't do it properly. I havent had any problems doing it this way. At least it just pops up and *then* you control the height with the throttle. With a power wheelie, you have a fist full of throttle, once it reaches a certain point it could easily flip out from under you.. This is just based on what I've been reading around the net and practicing on my bike.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch, sucks to be him! Perhaps he just didn't do it properly. I havent had any problems doing it this way. At least it just pops up and *then* you control the height with the throttle. With a power wheelie, you have a fist full of throttle, once it reaches a certain point it could easily flip out from under you.. This is just based on what I've been reading around the net and practicing on my bike.

That's kind of how I feel too.

Even though my clutch ups are not very good, I feel like I have A LOT more control with them than when I power it up.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just want to learn them... it's not like I'm out on the street or anything like that. My bikes paid off, so a crash wouldn't really hurt my financially although it would suck. (I kinda want a FZ07 anyways). I'm wearing full gear as well. Also, it's not as if I'm a new rider so I do have decent bike control. The way I see it, the chance of me going down doing this isn't really any greater than when I'm at the track.

I get that people keep saying power wheelies are easier, and they are. But that's not what I'm trying to learn, I can already lift the front no problem with just gas. I want to have more control though.

FZ07? Go big early! Blah Get a FZ09!!! LOL

Here's how it done... notice how little throttle it takes. :rockon: (3:30)

http://youtu.be/qs_uHASwaVk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I think knowing how to do a real, "hold it up" wheelie is neat and respect your decison to learn.

Just posting of the potential for bad things, especially starting from a dead stop (which is what my PO did). He obviously lifted the front WAY up(from a dead stop), and then fell off to the right side. He was a young (17 maybe) newbie (my best friends son's bike initially).

Getting the front end up higher once underway, would give you a little more control as you should have a little more time to brake, balance, etc, vs oops, too much throttle at a dead stop and just flipping it.

As mentioned earlier, no matter how you do it, try NOT to drop it hard as its very hard on the bike- forks, steering head bearings/ especiallly the frame by the swingarm mount.

Going to a much larger rear sprocket should give you much more control and more forgiving,

Good luck:thumbup:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry, there's no way I'll be trying to do a wheelie from a dead stop. I'll leave that for people with huge sprockets and lot's of experience.

FZ07? Go big early! Blah Get a FZ09!!! LOL

Here's how it done... notice how little throttle it takes. :rockon: (3:30)

http://youtu.be/qs_uHASwaVk

Sweet deal, I'v actually ridden a FZ09. I know I typed FZ07 earlier but it would be a tough choice for me. As the FZ07 by all accounts is better out of the box, but the FZ09 has better potential.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry, there's no way I'll be trying to do a wheel out of a track stand. I'll leave that for people with huge sprockets and lot's of experience.

Sweet deal, I'v actually ridden a FZ09. I know I typed FZ07 earlier but it would be a tough choice for me. As the FZ07 by all accounts is better out of the box, but the FZ09 has better potential.
Don't let you trick by those bike review. Less worst is not necessary much better. All the 09 need is a flashtune and a rear shock.

I dump about $350.00 on a front end (revalve & springs) and $65.00 or so on a ZX-10 shock. Flashtune is about $200.00 and ypu can add any exhaust tune to it. Voila! Killer ride and you're still under 10K OTD.

Then you can go all nuts like me... [emoji12]

Sgould see those R1 320mm rotors...

uma5agaj.jpg

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually didn't think the bike was as bad as reviews make it out to be. Plus even stock you can just ride in B mode which is probably comparable to the FZ07.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off topic:
But I'm all for knowing the limits of man and machine so knowing what we are a capable of under as many conditions as possible prepares us for the unknown. Ya, like what if someones about to run me over and I dump gears and HAMMER IT, "am I going over or going forward". That's valuable info to me so I learn all I can when its safe to do so.

What if I need the nose up to clear an obstacle in the road. Do I stand a chance? Practicing what seems like senseless squid like actions will help determine this.. Kind of a Go or NoGo scenario.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off topic:
But I'm all for knowing the limits of man and machine so knowing what we are a capable of under as many conditions as possible prepares us for the unknown. Ya, like what if someones about to run me over and I dump gears and HAMMER IT, "am I going over or going forward". That's valuable info to me so I learn all I can when its safe to do so.

What if I need the nose up to clear an obstacle in the road. Do I stand a chance? Practicing what seems like senseless squid like actions will help determine this.. Kind of a Go or NoGo scenario.

If i ever need to get the nose up to clear an obstacle i really hope it will happen next to a store where i can buy new pants!

Great point though, and one that i firmly believe in.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

when you say you can lift the front with just gas are you talking about just the front end coming off the ground a little bit or actually the nose up in the air? personally I went pretty good doing power wheelies, and when I say power willies I'm not talking about just WOT and letting the nose come up, I mean working the throttle and suspension in my favor so I can actually get close to the balance point. learning like this I was able to save the front suspension for a little while, save sprockets and chains, and figure out just how far back the balance point really is smoothly. you can work the throttle and keep the nose up for a long time with just power alone or even find that balance point and ride it as long as you want. once I got real comfortable doing it like that then I went to clutching up in second gear instead of first just like Townsend was saying because you have more speed and centrifical force to hold you steady, and with that speed also comes easier set downs. its up to you really but you really can get a lot of the fundamentals and control by powering up and save you some broken parts

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it's already been said or not but also it's a good idea to set your chain slack a little tight and make sure your pre loaded on the rear suspension isn't too soft. the chain slack when you power up or especially if you clutch up to keep from the chain slack snapping tight which is horrible for it and your sprockets. the preload so your fender/fender eliminator don't come crashing into your rear tire.

Sent from my pocket rocket that don't know how to spell

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW this was from clutching up too much lol
e6asyry9.jpg

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
e6asyry9.jpg

Wear and tear doesn't worry me, I ride my machines hard (and do proper maintenance).

Tried powering it up today, I'd say it was identical to the clutch up as far as height and distance. I will say that it wasn't as consistent and I have a few more hard landings than the clutch up. With the power up I didn't seem to be anywhere near as good at getting the wheel to rise at the same rate every time.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It will just take practice and confidence, the higher you take the rpms before letting off the throttle and getting back into it the quicker and higher it will go. I want to say somewhere between 10k - 11k I was getting my fz6 to power up the best. Id get it up about 10k let completely off throttle then go wide open and it came up quick. Much higher it felt like going over a few times.

I'm the same way with my toys, rode hard put up wet. I'm not scared of broke parts or bones this coming from someone with more miles sliding on my back than most people on their bikes but breaking stuff still suck lol the last few months I had my fz6 I blew a chain apart, destroyed a rear rotor, cracked the frame, fixed the frame, cracked the oil pan, fixed the oil pan, blew a fork seal then blew the tire off in a blaze of glory

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
e6asyry9.jpg

I don't think that is solely to blame on clutching up.. thats just wear and tear. The stress on the sprocket isn't any different when clutching up than it would be if you were accelerating down a track at 13k rpm.