Tried Doing a Wheelie, Didn't Go So Well... [VIDEO]

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Themz would be big wheelies fer me. :thumbup:
We gotta big park'in lot near mah crib where I watch stuntaz practice, 'n hear r mah observations...

Plus 1 to a small inexpensive, expendable dual sport. (Twins 'n thumpers are much easier to control.)
Get a big ass rear sprocket, that'll shorten the wheelbase, 'n give you more control so you can "get 'er up" easier.
Cover the rear brake, so you can bring her back if';n she starts go'in over.
They also let all the air outta their rear tires.

Good luck, and keep filming so we can watch you toss yer sh!t down the road! :Flip:

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my power wheelie attempt,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d58FsPdEaw

I think I need to get moving a little faster before I bring it up.

Thats a damn good start though! I couldnt see the tach but it sounded like maybe 7-8kish? but it still pulled up real quick. If you want to keep playing with it try taking the rpms up more before letting off, also as you get more comfortable with it youll see how you can just barely let off the throttle to slow it down if its coming up to fast and to maintain its height. You can do the same thing with your rear brake.

I don't think that is solely to blame on clutching up.. thats just wear and tear. The stress on the sprocket isn't any different when clutching up than it would be if you were accelerating down a track at 13k rpm.

Popping the clutch does put more stress on the chain and sprocket vs WOT acceleration. Its that instant force thats exerted vs gradual, same reason why cars and bikes have clutches to begin with. Take a piece of metal and put a hammer on it trying to bend it slowly putting more pressure on it until your using all the strength you have, most likely it wont budge. Now swing the hammer as hard as you can and its going the bend or break, same concept. I have a lot of expierence in metalurgy and was contracted by Home which is a huge player in the automotive powertrain industry, the biggest if im not mistaken, so this is kinda my forte. Its not solely to blame but it had a huge part in it. That came off the vstrom, overweight, under powered and highly abused. Most people get 25k and up out of them but that one didnt last but 13k.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a damn good start though! I couldnt see the tach but it sounded like maybe 7-8kish? but it still pulled up real quick. If you want to keep playing with it try taking the rpms up more before letting off, also as you get more comfortable with it youll see how you can just barely let off the throttle to slow it down if its coming up to fast and to maintain its height. You can do the same thing with your rear brake.

I believe that was right around 7,000 RPM.

I didn't spend as much time working on it yesterday as it being a Wednesday there was employees at one of the other occupied warehouses and I didn't want to get kicked out or something.

Anyways my observation is the clutch up seems to come up consistently the same height and then I can chase it a bit, where as the power wheelie continues to rise as I apply throttle. This made it a little scarier to chase it out for me.

I think next time I go out I'll try to get the same height as in the video but try to hold onto the throttle longer like I was doing when clutching up.