trailer tips?

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Another trick I have used is to put a bungee strap between the top and bottom hooks on the tie-downs. It keeps the slack out of the straps to prevent the hooks from falling out.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
1st off I want to say thanks for all the great feedback. I am picking the trailer up today and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on how to load the bike on the trailer. It does not have a built in ramp so I am going to have to buy something. I am kind of nervous about getting the bike up the ramp & on to the trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in adnavce.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
1st off I want to say thanks for all the great feedback. I am picking the trailer up today and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on how to load the bike on the trailer. It does not have a built in ramp so I am going to have to buy something. I am kind of nervous about getting the bike up the ramp & on to the trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in adnavce.

Get a nice 2x6 and ride her up on the trailer. Thats what I use to get my bike in the truck when I have to "trailer." I normally back into a ditch so that the incline isnt too harsh. Just get some momentum going and dont stop till your in.

Personally I hate ratchet straps. Go support a bike shop and purchase a nice set of Ancra Tie Downs and Soft ties and/or a bar harness. You will be glad you did!

Also, why did (and I cant remember who posted) you not put the wheel chauks against the trailer frame? Trying to keep weight over axle? Might I suggest building or buying a box to put in front for storage and rest the chauks against that box. Helps take some strain off the bolts holding the chauks down.

Also if you were really concerned about the suspension, you could pick up a brace from a bike shop. Remove your front fender and place the brace atop the front wheel and under the lower tripple tree and sinch...

I've tied down a bike or two...

-bryan

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, why did (and I cant remember who posted) you not put the wheel chauks against the trailer frame? Trying to keep weight over axle? Might I suggest building or buying a box to put in front for storage and rest the chauks against that box. Helps take some strain off the bolts holding the chauks down.

That would be me Bryan. The chocks were placed to reduce the tongue weight and if you look at the last picture, you can see the second reason, which is actually what you suggested. I left that space intentionally blank to put an equipment box in which also doubles as a stone guard. The weight distribution is perfect with slightly more forward so I'm not worried at all about the sway problems or even having to mount a stabilizer.

This was the first time I've trailered. I've done a ton of hauling in the back of trucks but the first trailer setup for just this purpose. There was a lot of research into how to set this up, measurements, placement, ramp size, etc... A lot of input from folks of valued opinions and now, a lot of envy from many of the same.

This trailer? I can drive both bikes on without a single worry. The ramp is perfect for both FZs (wasn't quite enough for the V Star she used to have though.

As for 2x6 or any other planks? Highly discouraged. When they are even slightly wet, the bike will not go up them without you adding something to them for traction. They become just like an ice arena and the bike will EASILY slide off a wet board. Buy a proper metal grate ramp, get the longest one you can (folding is fine) and the widest you can which allows you to either drive up or walk up beside it while working the controls. :thumbup: