Traded the FZ6 for a Kawasaki Concours 14

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am moving on from the FZ6 to bigger bike I can take my wife on trips. The FZ6 has been a really great bike and just what I needed to get back into riding. Overall a very versatile bike that can play many roles.

I would consider the FZ6 forum one of the best forums I've been associated. I certainly appreciate all the advice and support from all of you on the FZ6 forum along with the moderators and owners for starting and maintaining the forum.

thanks and take care,

Jim

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats. I hope you have the opportunity for many long trips with wife. My previous motorcycle was an FJR1300. It was much better for long trips with wife. Not as good as FZ6 for the shorter trips and in city traffic. I hope you enjoy the new ride.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at the K-concours 14 as well.
I'm very interested in your impressions going from the FZ6 to the concours 14.

I don't see myself trading in the FZ6 but who knows if there might be the possibility of owning two bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only rode the bike a few times so far. The ride is good, a good situp position especially since the previous owner installed the handle bar risers. It's longer and wider and obviously weights more so I am trying to get use to handling such a bike in cramped and slow situations. The shifting is much different since it has a bigger engine with more lower torque. The power factor from a 600 and my previous bike was a Suzuki 550 is taking some getting use too. The power does not intimidate me but I need to learn how to properly harness it or I may get a ticket. The engine is the same as the Kaw ZX-14 so it can go along nicely. I ran down the interstate going to home depot and I was at 90 before I knew it and I ran it up to 110 with just a little bit of throttle. The side cases come off real easier and hold about 20 lbs per case.

I got the 2010 with ABS options, a traction control option, tire pressure monitoring, mileage calculator and distance to empty. There is an ECO mode option that you can select while riding. The drive shift is fairly low maintenance unlike other bikes like the BMW.

I added a pic as requested earlier.

thanks,

Jim

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
The power factor from a 600 and my previous bike was a Suzuki 550 is taking some getting use too. The power does not intimidate me but I need to learn how to properly harness it or I may get a ticket. The engine is the same as the Kaw ZX-14 so it can go along nicely. I ran down the interstate going to home depot and I was at 90 before I knew it and I ran it up to 110 with just a little bit of throttle.

Jim

The newer Concours 14 with KTRC has the ability for you to open the throttle and not worry about the front wheel coming off the ground. It is very, very controlled under power.

When our rep let me use one for a few days I was told to pin the throttle in 2nd and shift at 9500... I received well over legal highway speeds from the motorcycle :eek:.

Bottom line, the Concours is an animal and without the cases it looks like an angry silverback gorilla.

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike! I have been looking over the Connies lately myself. Stop back in and give us an updated report after you get a couple of rides in! :thumbup:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only rode the bike a few times so far. The ride is good, a good situp position especially since the previous owner installed the handle bar risers. It's longer and wider and obviously weights more so I am trying to get use to handling such a bike in cramped and slow situations. The shifting is much different since it has a bigger engine with more lower torque. The power factor from a 600 and my previous bike was a Suzuki 550 is taking some getting use too. The power does not intimidate me but I need to learn how to properly harness it or I may get a ticket. The engine is the same as the Kaw ZX-14 so it can go along nicely. I ran down the interstate going to home depot and I was at 90 before I knew it and I ran it up to 110 with just a little bit of throttle. The side cases come off real easier and hold about 20 lbs per case.

I got the 2010 with ABS options, a traction control option, tire pressure monitoring, mileage calculator and distance to empty. There is an ECO mode option that you can select while riding. The drive shift is fairly low maintenance unlike other bikes like the BMW.

I added a pic as requested earlier.

thanks,

Jim

Thanks a lot for the information amd the pictures, the bike in blue looks great. I'm really looking forward to test riding one of those. Last month I test rode the FJR (biketober fest). To me it felt much better riding the Vmax instead but that is about $5k more!!!!! I remember one person in line told me to buy the concours instead of the FJR, better price and better warranty.

I think there is a nearby dealer I could probably test ride the concours but I don't want to have the pressure of the salesman so I'll wait until bike week.
I'll appreciate if you could keep us posted with your feedback on this bike after riding it more miles.

Congratulations, that is a big step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking ride, congratulations. :thumbup:
One of these years I'll have to start considering a sport touring bike. :D

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They call it the 1400GTR down here.

Got to ride one last year. Bloody big, bloody comfy & bloody fast :D

Love these bikes, on my list when the dirt/adventure riding bug wears off.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pic....nice ride! That thing will just eat the miles! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you'd traded in the wife instead you could've kept the FZ and bought the Connie! :BLAA:

I keed, congrats on the new ride and you certainly don't have to leave this forum.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!! That bike was very high on my list, but in the end I chose to go with something a bit lighter and keeping it in Yamaha family was a bonus :thumbup:

If most of my riding was 2-up, I would have gone with Concourse for sure!

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Congrats, they are great bikes, and I've drooled over them myself. Our local CSBA leader has one and that thing handles and hauls.

It looks so big compared to the FZ6, but I'm sure it would be fine. I suppose I just need to build my detached garage so I can get more than one motorcycle. :)

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You are right, the bike is much bigger and will take some getting use to. I took the side cases off for around the local area. I actually started to scrape my SUV coming into the garage the first time as I am not use to the wideness with the cases.

This darn bike is going to get me a ticket, it's just hard to keep it under 90 on the interstate.