trade in my fz6 for a fz1??

Zinsser

Reaction score
Visit site
I would enjoy the FZ6 awhile and get "rightside-up" on the value-to-debt.

Have you considered other comparable bikes to the fz1? I much prefer the feel of the Bandit, and I think you can get one significantly cheaper (new, but not 09). So, that could be an option - bigger bike, same riding position, less $$, gorgeous bike (except for the stock exhaust).

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
12K of debt on a 10K bike and you're going to being paying crazy amounts of insurance and hoping it does not get stolen? Dude, you can't afford this thing right now...don't be silly. Sounds like you're after the looks more than anything...how much will that really matter when your gut hurts everytime you look at your bank statement?

Good luck :thumbup:

+1, absolutely!

Something else to consider. You will be carrying 12k on a 10k bike that will depreciate faster than you're paying it off. Say it gets stolen a month after you get it. Insurance will only pay off the replacement value of the bike... somewhere less than 10k. But the note will be due immediately, meaning you'll have to come up with the diff.

cmarsdavis

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds to me like you could take that extra $2k and spend it on some sweet mods for your FZ6. While I've found it slightly more difficult to find parts for certain mods, there is still quite a bit out there. I'd love to have $1k to put a TB exhaust on mine. From what I've read on those, most folks say they help the enjoyment factor. Also, +1 on the insurance savings with a 6.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
from a performace aspect..think of this the R6, is near as dammit as quick as the R1 on a track,simply because of its agillity..i can imagine the same parralell being drawn between the two FZ's..the trade off between power/agillity and the added financial burden is not worth it imo...but that said i wrote the book on impulse buying and know that once the itch starts,it needs to be scratched,personally i would get something for the FZ6 just renew your pride in it

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked at selling your bike instead of trading it in. If you don't trade it in they might even be able to give you a better price on the bike. Besides with the way things are slowing down economically the price will come down with more incentives.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i just need to buy me a exhaust and a tcp seat cowl and some bars. and i will be happy. i just hate my dirt bike seat on the fz6. look at my dirt bike seat and the fz seat:D

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I understood, you owe $7000 on your current bike (the FZ6). The are willing to trade it in for $5500. That means you still need to come up with another $11500 for the FZ1. Is it worth going that much in debt for such a similar bike? If the pro's out weigh the cons, go for it. Don't forget insurance will be more, and gas will cost more. Sure aftermarket rocks on the FZ1, but debt is a nasty thing.

Couldn't have said it better myself! If you really want the FZ1 that bad, why not try to sell your FZ6 outright, and then purchase the FZ1. You're going to take a hit no matter how you slice it... the direct sale will minimize the hit rather than trading in your current bike. The trade in route will make you upside down on the FZ1 loan.

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Bro, The FZ1 is a killer bike! BUT, IMO you need to at least pay down enough on the 6 to break even weather you sell it or trade it in....u nvr want to go into buying a new bike already upside down on the last one....You need to buy the exhaust you have been looking at for the 6......when i put the TB's on mine it was like a totally different bike, made me like it even more....i bet if you put exhaust on yours that will hold you over till you can pay off more of what you owe.......... then go get the FZ1 :rockon:

Just my two cents Bro.....take it easy and go do some blasting

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds to me like you could take that extra $2k and spend it on some sweet mods for your FZ6. While I've found it slightly more difficult to find parts for certain mods, there is still quite a bit out there. I'd love to have $1k to put a TB exhaust on mine. From what I've read on those, most folks say they help the enjoyment factor. Also, +1 on the insurance savings with a 6.

I might get bashed for this, but put that extra money into some more mods for your current bike. My fav was the upgraded exhaust. Makes me grin every time I crack the throttle...:D

Also, check the resale values for both used FZ6's and FZ1's. You're gonna take a SERIOUS hit down the road if you invest $12K in a new FZ1. Wait a bit and find a used one with low miles (I saved $1200 on a one year old bike with 720 miles on the clock!) You'll have to look a while, but you will find one.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Bro, The FZ1 is a killer bike! BUT, IMO you need to at least pay down enough on the 6 to break even weather you sell it or trade it in....u nvr want to go into buying a new bike already upside down on the last one....You need to buy the exhaust you have been looking at for the 6......when i put the TB's on mine it was like a totally different bike, made me like it even more....i bet if you put exhaust on yours that will hold you over till you can pay off more of what you owe.......... then go get the FZ1 :rockon:

Just my two cents Bro.....take it easy and go do some blasting

I'm with YoungGun, great post.

When I put Leo's on mine, it felt like riding a new bike, and still get "goose-bumps" when I start the thing up now.

Don't get in over your head on a new bike, the FZ6 is a great bike... Get the pipes mate. :thumbup:

:)

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be much happier putting 12K into my FZ6 and having a bike that would smoke an R1 and still be versatile enough for sight seeing.

If you are jonesing for aftermarket parts maybe you should talk to fz6fighterboy (the guy with the super charged street fighter) he claims to have 24K in after market parts on his bike.

Its all in what you want. Only you can make the right decision because only you know what you truly want. If the FZ1 is the only thing that will satisfy you then go for it. Might as well just have the dealer extend your credit past 12K and have a crap load of aftermarket parts put on it right out of the gate.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
The way I see it.

Dealer trade in is much better than selling a used bike. The 2008 FZ6 are selling for like 5K, 07 for 4-4.5K used private.

Plus the market being so bad, I am seeing used 07 FZ1s for 6K. IMO get used. NEW just takes a big hit on your pocket.

Plus R6 125 Bhp vs FZ1 150 bhp

luckyirishboy209

Reaction score
Visit site
ok this is what i am going to do tomarrow i am buying some leo vince pipes and keep my fz6 for 3 or 4 yrs and have it paid off. then my insurance will be cheaper by then and get a new r1. because now the new R1 are so bad @$$ and by 3 or 4 yrs down the road the liter bikes will be even better techinogly. i think once i get my leo's i will be alot more happy.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the FZ1. Yes is have more power and it has much better suspension, USDs, linkage, etc. I also like the sportier look too.

In you case Irish, I'd hold off for a bit.

I also think liter one year old liter bikes are going to drop like a rock this year, ie: new old stock. For example Buell 1125Rs are selling brand new for $7,995. Retail is 12,500ish. My local $ Brand Dealer has ZX1400s for $10,995 something. And that is with CBR600Rs right next to it for $9,995. No one wanted liter bikes this year and 600s sold like hotcakes.

luckyirishboy209

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the FZ1. Yes is have more power and it has much better suspension, USDs, linkage, etc. I also like the sportier look too.

In you case Irish, I'd hold off for a bit.

I also think liter one year old liter bikes are going to drop like a rock this year, ie: new old stock. For example Buell 1125Rs are selling brand new for $7,995. Retail is 12,500ish. My local $ Brand Dealer has ZX1400s for $10,995 something. And that is with CBR600Rs right next to it for $9,995. No one wanted liter bikes this year and 600s sold like hotcakes.

i think i will wait and get the new r1 i like that new moto GP motor they put in it. i sat on one the other day and it fit me like a glove.

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
Good decision (getting the Leo's and staying w/ the FZ6). You don't want to owe more than its worth on anything, especially in todays market. Buy used and let someone else deal with the depreciation when they drive off the lot. You won't have to worry about that first scratch.
:thumbup:

flamewulfe

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I just did the opposite of what you had been thinking of! Got out from under my GSXR 1000, great bike, but the FZ6 is far superior in almost every way . . . I took about a $1500 hit in negative equity against the price of the new FZ6 (so the $7200 bike is now closer to $8700), but the interest rate is HALF, as is the insurance (fully insured, versus no insurance on the Gixxer) . . . the only thing the Gixxer gave me was braggin rights. The FZ6 is superior on the track (according to some experienced friends of mine, though they all prefer R6s), is more 'fun' in that you can rev the heck out of it (you can't really ever redline liter bikes, it seems . . . otherwise, you're already over 160 mph!), gets waaaay better fuel economy and range, is more comfortable (for both you and passenger! Trust me, chicks dig the comfy banana seat), and has its own mess of aftermarket parts available, and is totally unique (only seen one other FZ6, versus dozens of Gixxers, CBRs, R6s, etc). I, personally, really love the fact that our bike is so unique; there were 3 other Gixxer 1000s at my school, as new or newer than mine!

Trust me from someone who knows . . . liter bikes are great, but they're not practical for a whole lot. I think you made the right decision, Irish!

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
The full faired FZ1 looks more like a "sportbike" than a full faired FZ6.

The FZ6 and FZ1 are NOT the same bike. The only similarity is the upright riding position and a detuned experience from an R1/R6.

I would see if you could test ride one before I'd buy it. Personally I didn't like the FZ1 because it's too bulky, and the tank felt like a big woman I was trying to wrap my legs around.

Having ridden both bikes extensively, I have to say I love the first generation FZ1 much more than the new ones from 2006 onward. I rode a FZ1 with Ohlins suspension and it handled very well.

However, the FZ6 with aftermarket shocks such as Hyperpro, handles better at the very technical stuff and feels light compared to the porky FZ1. The first generation FZ1 also has much better ergonomics than the second generation.

If you're going to by a FZ1, make sure it is a used one before 2006. The deals are now really good.