Track Day tire pressure

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird, the Michelin reps recommended I run my pilot powers at 37/37 on the track... actually, 2 reps said that the PP have to be ran very high, -even on the track- compared to other manufacturers...

Yeah, I was alarmed when I read what you and John wrote way back when. All I can say is I've always been told 30-32 for PPs by club racers, track day control ridres, and the mich reps. It always worked well for me...never crashed on pilot powers. *shrug*

Well, I'd say they know their tires better than anybody.

Clearly this is not the case as the best pressure to run is up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
...Clearly this is not the case as the best pressure to run is up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with this. Target HOT pressures are one thing, but the reality is getting it dialed in for your own peace of mind. Ambient air temp, track surface temp, altitude, tire wear, my current weight and the pace I am running all are variables from one trackday to another for me. I keep lots of notes that I update through the day and refer to them the next time out. As a result I have been able to minimize wasting time to start the day and know where I should be set when the pace increases during the day.

BTW Nate: I really like the Bridgestone BT-002RS. They lasted two days, although the rear was absolutely bald at the end of the last session. I will run them the rest of this year, with an eye towards the BT-003 when they become more readily available. You would should start with

27 front/ 23 rear COLD
looking for
31 front/ 29 rear HOT.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW Nate: I really like the Bridgestone BT-002RS. They lasted two days, although the rear was absolutely bald at the end of the last session. I will run them the rest of this year, with an eye towards the BT-003 when they become more readily available. You would should start with

27 front/ 23 rear COLD
looking for
31 front/ 29 rear HOT.

Awesome...will do. :thumbup:

I'm guessing my stock 600 won't be as hard on the rear as the R1 is.....furthermore, my right wrist won't be as hard on the rear tire as your's is. :rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
John, what's it take to get thos 002RS's warmed up?

I know they are street legal but does it really take some hard riding to get the necessary heat into them to make them stick? I always hear people talk about how race tires won't stick for shyt unless they are up to temp and that is why they should only be used by the fast guys.

Thoughts?

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am running the Pirelli Supercorsa Diablo III on mine and use 36 PSI front and 34 PSI rear which works great on the tracks I ride.

Size is same as stock you get good nimble bike with them and I see no reason to go wider. Just go stickier, the Pirellis are awesome and I can highly recommend them.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
John, what's it take to get thos 002RS's warmed up?

I know they are street legal but does it really take some hard riding to get the necessary heat into them to make them stick? I always hear people talk about how race tires won't stick for shyt unless they are up to temp and that is why they should only be used by the fast guys.

Thoughts?

I've left my worn track tires on and ridden the streets on my R1 before, and they work just fine.

I would say about 10+ miles of normal riding gets them ready for "spirited" canyon riding. In other words, by the time you get to your favorite road they will be ready. Just be sure to keep the same target for HOT pressure by slightly raising the COLD PSI for street use. Probably 28 front, 25 rear when COLD.