Track Day this Sunday...who's coming?

Ok, not really my place to say, was a mixed day. Mikey was doing laps around 1:30, a pretty good effort for his first time out, and the conditions weren't the best... Bloody cold, makes for a slippery track. As evidenced by the number of bikes that went down.

Unfortunately, Pinky was one of the bikes that went down. Happened on the warm up lap of the 4th session of the day. Jamie was second in line, and the guy in front rolled off the throttle coming into turn 6. He was looking around as well, so Jamie rolled off too. Front guy sped up, and as Jamie hit the gas, the back of the bike stepped out and disappeared from under him.
This threw Jamie into the air, and the poor guy landed on his head. The Carbon HJC helmet did it's job spectacularly, Jamie's noggin is fine, but the helmet is trash.

As Jamie landed, the bike was sliding along and caught up with him, giving him a smack in the back. From where we were standing, it looked like Jamie came down hard, but the guy jumped up as soon as he stopped moving and got out of the way.

A track official got there and moved the bike out of the way and into the centre of the track. Another rider came off on the final turn which red-flagged the session due to his bike being in a dangerous position on the track.

I'm assuming Jamie went to hospital to get x-rays on his wrist, hope it all turns out okay buddy. Only other injury (apart from general soreness expected from a crash) was a nasty bruise on his ankle, and a nasty graze on his thigh.
Get well soon mate.

As for Pinky, she's not too bad (all things considered). Fairing is trash, a bent Oggy Knob bolt, a bent adapter bracket for the Valermoto rear-set on the left, and a new engine guard for the left side of the motor. Left grip and bar-end will need replacing too, as well as the fuel cap surround.

I tried to upload some photo's, but it doesn't want to work for me :(

I hope Jamie's injuries aren't too serious, and also hope it's ok for me to post this info.
All the best mate :rockon:

:)

Jeez, I hope he is ok, if you talk to Jamie, tell him I'm thinkin of him! But knowing him, he is probably more upset about Pinky's damage. I'm glad the bike wasn't too bad.

Ouch! I am so sorry to hear of the fall Jamie, I hope you heal up quickly and get back on the bike soon.

Do you think you'll make the race weekend?

Hey guys, i amj all good...was a nasty highside....landed on my head, but helmet made sure i have absolutely no head injury...not even a headache...slid for about 50 metres, on my arse, after landing on my head! Leathers held up real well, so no grazing...back protector & kidney belt also were invaluable, and my now faithful Sidi Vertigo Boots....came through again!

Have not been to the hospital yet, but i suspect i have fractured bones in my left hand....and lots of nast bruising on my right foot...and am now stiff as a board all over!

So i faired ok......pretty bloody well actually!, bloody bike tyred to overtake me!!!! must'nt of liked me getting in front of it! lol!

Bought the bike back to my house tonight, straightened sub-frame, removed damaged engine case protector, replaced the bent frame slider...i had a spare!, took the smashed upper fairing & seat unit's off....will be binned! removed smashed fuel cap, straightened the bars, left rearset, and front fairing mount.....and pretty much i we need to do now is put new race fairing, screen, and seat on...

Actually had video camera running on the bike whjen it happened, but the camera took it hard in the spill, and the movie file wont upload now....must be corrupt , due to unexpected shutdown, or something? which is a pity, because i am sure it would show my rear end stepping out, then snapping back, bucking me off....whilst i was travelling in a straight line!

Track was very cold, and the tyres only about 15 laps old....and i had only negotiated 5 corners of the session, and was cruising behind the lead rider, who was leading everyone around the track for the first 2 laps, so that tyres could warm up...

In all my years of riding, i have never had a tyre let go so quickly, so violently, and so unexpectedly....

Oh well, the lesson to be learned here, is if you are going to go out on a cold track with race tyres....use bloody tire warmers!....next purchase!

Am still having trouble uploading photo's of the damage, but i will get it together.....bike will be back on the track in 2 weeks, and hopefully, so will i....cant wait to get back out there....

Small setback in the grand scheme of things...

on the flipside....Mikey, (Ozzieboy) blitzed it....rattling off some 1.26's in the last session, when the group he was riding in, had shrunk from 41 riders to 7....and he had a clear track....awesome Mikey....

:thumbup:

Ouch! I am so sorry to hear of the fall Jamie, I hope you heal up quickly and get back on the bike soon.

Do you think you'll make the race weekend?

As i said in my last post, most of the damage was fixed tonight...pinky proved to be quite tough! and i hope to be back on the track to race at a local meeting on June 12-13....not without tyre warmers!

:thumbup:

Hehe, I thought you'd get pinky fixed before heading to the hospital yourself.. Silly bugga.

Get down there and get an x-ray on ya hand mate.

Good to see Pinky almost up and running again. :thumbup:

Ok boys, this Sunday, there is another track day for bikes at Mallala, is $130 for 7 x 15 minutes sessions, plus a $25 one day race license...

There are at least 2 of us riding (Me & Paul on his CBR1000)...weather permitting...aint going if it's raining.

Would love to see a few more SA boys get out there, and have a ride??? You dont need leathers to ride in the slow group, just a decent jacket, pants, boots & gloves.

But regardless, even if yo dont want to ride, come laugh at those of us that are, and come have lunch with us....gonna take the Barbeque, etc.

It's a great day, lots of different bikes, some fast, some slow, some old, some new....

:rockon:
F#@% THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!!! i'm on the other side of the world......:banghead: so you do get to go :iconbeer: drink a beer for me and bust a rib laughing :rof:for me at these old dudes trying to be racer's....:D:rockon:

Glad to hear you are ok mate. What tyres are you using on pinky?

Dunlop Qualifier RR's

Hehe, I thought you'd get pinky fixed before heading to the hospital yourself.. Silly bugga.

Get down there and get an x-ray on ya hand mate.

Good to see Pinky almost up and running again. :thumbup:

Still aint been to the hospital....have Cnnor all day, wile his mum works! Is proving a little tough carrying a 10 month old baby around today.....

:spank:

Aww crap. Promise you'll get there as soon as you can, don't want it healing in the wrong position.. they'll have to break it again if it does.

+1 mate,after the probs you had with the 4WD episode I would go get checked out.

Sorry to hear about the off but glad you are pretty much ok.Must have been a scary moment for you..................and the guys watching no doubt !

Dunlop Qualifier RR's

I cant really comment cos ive never used em but you said it let go real quick? No warning? Its a complicated mix. Cold track surface, cold street tyres & tyre pressures?

Might have to look at some slicks mate. I can put you in touch with Craig White if you like. He can ship some Bridgestone slicks to your door. With a more structured carcass you can drop you tyre pressures pretty low in cooler conditions. Heats the tyre up quicker & offers a larger contact patch.

Slicks & tyre warmers & it will feel like a different bike. Probably drop 3 to 5 seconds a lap straight up.

Plenty of time for that later I suppose. Heal up & get well 1st :thumbup:

Glad to hear you are doing ok, really should get to the hospital though for a check up.

Also glad to hear pinky is doing allright as well :thumbup:

Ok, I think my photo's were too big yesterday, so I've re-sized them now.. see how this goes.

That wonderful piece of stuff that saved Jamies head from the pavement...
View attachment 17368

Windscreens.. They're for wimps...lmao Whats left of the trashed fairing...
View attachment 17369

Had only just attached the camera too... Bugga...
View attachment 17370

Bit of mud, the slider is toast and the footpeg bracket is bent, but fixable...
View attachment 17371

Jeez Wolfy you didnt mess around with that helmet did you :eek: That is the evidence right there kids. Stay in school, dont do drugs & be sure to wear a quality lid :thumbup:

Back