VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I may not be a cop, but I can sure ride like one. The local Sheriff's Motors Unit offered an advanced Motor's class to us civilians. One day, 8 hours, mostly riding around a bunch of cones. The same patterns and dimensions that the officers must get certified in order for them to ride. Although I pretty much was proficient on most of the patterns, it certainly honed my skills. One poor rider crashed his new HD three times, then he dissapeared but came back on a Street Triple. Crashed on that real hard, broke his mirror, signal and fairing and he got hurt. Not a good day for him, great day for the shop who will do the repairs. We also played some cone games, such as last man standing. Where all six riders enter a confined box with a bunch of obstacles. The objective is to try to out maneuver another rider so that they will put a foot down, hit a cone or obstacle or go out of bounds. Lot of potential for crashes as the who point of the game is to pretty much run each other off the course or hit a cone. But this is done at very slow speeds, so it requires a lot of tight turns and holding your bike stopped for several seconds. I did manage to beat out each of my motor instructors.

ccso_zpsrw6e7taa.jpg

So on the very same evening, I go into downtown Reno where they are holding the Spring Rally Street Vibrations, a motorcycle event with hundreds of bikes, live music, etc. Turns out that there was a slow ride event. Since I was in the zone, I entered. As you can see, the Reno Police Officer has barely even rolled and his opponent is already a 1/4 ways down to the finish line. First one who crosses the finish line losses! First one who goes outside of their 3 foot lane losses! First one who puts their foot down losses! Obviously I won my heat, so it came down to Reno's Finest, apparently hasn't lost in over two years. Until now. You would think with all these people, and all the professional photographers who took our pictures, I could find one photo of me beating out Reno's finest. I guess I will keep searching for the photos.

It was quite a rush, the place was packed. The MC on his microphone which carried over the entire six blocks, hundreds of people watching, yelling. RPD, RPD, LOL...It was a great Rush!

rpd_zps0zuyfmo4.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very neat!.

I never took the first course but took the advanced, same as you did, iron cross, etc.

I got to use the Police Department full dressed Harley and with the crash bars, tipping over isn't a problem,
just some scruffs to the lower bars...

For those beasts, to do all the maneuvers, you literally locked up the steering in one direction, looked where you wanted to go
and then dragged the floor boards in the pavement.

Of course your using only your rear brake and low steady throttle, modulating your speed
with the brake..

When we first got to the course (already set up), it's like NO way, this will happen. Tipped it several times as did most.

Did you practice emergency stops at about 50 MPH into a grassy median using ONLY your rear brake? This
was to simulate emergency braking in wet, or loose (sand) conditions?? If not, its VERY do-able, just need to find a grass median with no curb.
Keep the rear brake fully locked and just use body language to keep the bike straight. Comes in VERY handy in real life, rain, sandy corner, etc..

Looks like the Police are on BMer's too (wet head)?.

I learned a bunch from that class.

The parking lot, from the floor boards had sooo many "circles" ground into it, was freshly paved!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations Kenny!

I am weak in the slow department but I always enjoy the challenge in slower maneuvers.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you practice emergency stops..

Looks like the Police are on BMer's too (wet head)?.

I learned a bunch from that class.
!

Yes, from about 40 mph max but on dry pavement. The instructor took out his laser gun to make sure we were at speed. LOL. He just wanted to make sure we were all capable of using both brakes and can stop within a reasonable distance. They are always surprised how many riders have very poor braking skills. My Duc has ABS.

Yes, Reno PD was on a BMW.