Tracer 700 (or FJ-07...)

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-700.aspx
What are your thoughts on this bike? I rode the FZ-07 and 09 and loved them, but they're more street oriented than "all-around" FZ6.
FJ-09 is too tall&balky for me, but FZ6 size is just right. So, I'm waiting on this bike to arrive and see if it can be a good replacement to my 06 FZ6. It looks even kind of similar from the outside. It is 2 cyl but has more torque. The only concern is that it has less hp than the 6, but maybe torque will compensate on it.
Will wait to test ride it. Hope it will arrive to US soon.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Tracer 700 2016 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor UK
What are your thoughts on this bike? I rode the FZ-07 and 09 and loved them, but they're more street oriented than "all-around" FZ6.
FJ-09 is too tall&balky for me, but FZ6 size is just right. So, I'm waiting on this bike to arrive and see if it can be a good replacement to my 06 FZ6. It looks even kind of similar from the outside. It is 2 cyl but has more torque. The only concern is that it has less hp than the 6, but maybe torque will compensate on it.
Will wait to test ride it. Hope it will arrive to US soon.

How tall are you? I am 5'11", and own an FZ6. I sat on an FZ-09 and thought it too small for me. It was almost like sitting on a hypermotard bike.

I fail to see how the 09 is more street oriented than the FZ6. The 6 is not exactly a dirt bike. The only think the 09 may give up to the 6 is the amount of miles per tank of fuel. Even that is not a deal breaker.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'6 so it is hard to find a "right" bike for me. The FZ09/07 feels just right, but they aren't suted for LD rided with passanger which I occasionaly do. Of course there are better bikes for LD then FZ6 ( FJR or even Ninja100 and alike), but these bikes are too big and heavy. Not a fen of these.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'6 so it is hard to find a "right" bike for me. The FZ09/07 feels just right, but they aren't suted for LD rided with passanger which I occasionaly do. Of course there are better bikes for LD then FZ6 ( FJR or even Ninja100 and alike), but these bikes are too big and heavy. Not a fen of these.

Yeah, I am not a fan of overweight bikes, or shaft drive.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting post, I was just looking around, thinking what bike is in market that can replace fz6, for the price and power.
I thought shiver, that girl is super high maintenance.
FZ7 is small, in terms of power, 09 is too much in A mode, if it doesn't rain and still not going for track day this weekend, planning for test ride couple of bikes over this weekend.
I did STR the other day and that triple felt underpowered than fz6, I might be wrong.

Other than fz1(I have a crush on MT-10), what other options do I have?
For some reason I don't want to loose a full, I want to stick to 4cyl, Does someone have a good answer to change my mind towards the odd numbered cylinders?

BTW, USA has to wait at least additional one year to get MT-10( FZ10)
Will new MT-10 come to USA? - Page 2

I have an eye for electric motorcycles, but the obvious RANGE is the reason to hold me back, 200 miles on 12hour charge is a big NO, compared to my one full tank gives me 210 miles and I fill her twice in on Saturday and Sunday anyway :)

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the OP meant FZ9 is not as an all rounder as our 6, touring in 9 is hard, as it is naked.
Less miles range per tank.

I also tour on a naked monster. The monster has a small tank as well. That just means more stops for refueling. I do not mind. I am not participating in some Iron Butt event.

I do not consider the FZ6's small fairing to be all that helpful, either.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting post, I was just looking around, thinking what bike is in market that can replace fz6, for the price and power.
I thought shiver, that girl is super high maintenance.
FZ7 is small, in terms of power, 09 is too much in A mode, if it doesn't rain and still not going for track day this weekend, planning for test ride couple of bikes over this weekend.
I did STR the other day and that triple felt underpowered than fz6, I might be wrong.

Too much? The 09 is not some 190 hp super sport. It has less than 120 hp, and great torque, just like my Spring ST.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Too much? The 09 is not some 190 hp super sport. It has less than 120 hp, and great torque, just like my Spring ST.

Oh, based on what I see people, buying fz09 as first bike and crashing very badly.
If it is 2nd or 3rd bike, it shouldn't matter.
I didn't test ride yet, so, I really can't comment.
My knowledge is just based on lurking around the forum :)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ-07 / Tracer 700 engine is a hoot. I took an FZ-07 on a test ride a few weeks ago and it was the most fun. It sounds great with a pipe on it. I also rode an XSR900 which was an excellent bike, but despite the numbers it didn't really seem to have many more balls than my STR. I'm guessing the gearing is part of it. I disagree that the STR feels underpowered to the FZ6. The Triumph is faster everywhere. It doesn't have the rush at the top - instead it's everywhere. The torque of the Yamaha twin makes it easier to ride without wringing its neck, but it will be down on overall power at the top compared to everything else mentioned.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ-07 / Tracer 700 engine is a hoot. I took an FZ-07 on a test ride a few weeks ago and it was the most fun. It sounds great with a pipe on it. I also rode an XSR900 which was an excellent bike, but despite the numbers it didn't really seem to have many more balls than my STR. I'm guessing the gearing is part of it. I disagree that the STR feels underpowered to the FZ6. The Triumph is faster everywhere. It doesn't have the rush at the top - instead it's everywhere. The torque of the Yamaha twin makes it easier to ride without wringing its neck, but it will be down on overall power at the top compared to everything else mentioned.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I rode the STR for less than 10 miles, moderate traffic, I can say, I didn't enjoy the roads, neither the ride.
Moreover, the bike I test drove is off the floor, so, I didn't dare to rev it up.
Now I remember, another reason, I heard that bike nice torque, it wheelie's pretty easily, I never did other than bicycle, 10 years ago, so, again, I didn't dare.

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
As I said, FZ09 FZ07, and also STR are all excellent bikes and deliver tons of fun. But... they aren't made for long multi days trips, and at the same time to be an every day ride. Add a passenger.
Big fat tourers, or tall ADV's can do the first, but too much for the second. And not as suitable for shorter people. So therefore I hope that with the new Tracer 700 I can find what I'm looking for.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
As I said, FZ09 FZ07, and also STR are all excellent bikes and deliver tons of fun. But... they aren't made for long multi days trips, and at the same time to be an every day ride. Add a passenger.

I never understood this. There are plenty of people who do long multi day trips on naked bikes with small tanks.

If you look back before BMW invented the sport tourer, riders were crossing this country on 400cc naked bikes. It makes it sound like today's riders are a bunch of Nancy boys. :D

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I never understood this. There are plenty of people who do long multi day trips on naked bikes with small tanks.

If you look back before BMW invented the sport tourer, riders were crossing this country on 400cc naked bikes. It makes it sound like today's riders are a bunch of Nancy boys. :D

Who said you can't travel cross country on R6...? Moreover on a naked. I've done that too.
But try to be a passenger on a naked for hours and hours. Especially when you over 50. And, these 400cc naked from 70's and 80's had way better sits than modern naked.

On the other hand, our world changed since then big time. So why not to take advantage on what modern bikes have to offer :cool:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Who said you can't travel cross country on R6...? Moreover on a naked. I've done that too.
But try to be a passenger on a naked for hours and hours. Especially when you over 50. And, these 400cc naked from 70's and 80's had way better sits than modern naked.

On the other hand, our world changed since then big time. So why not to take advantage on what modern bikes have to offer :cool:

I was around in the 70s, and those seats were terrible.

As for modern bikes, it all depends on what they are offering. I do not like excess weight, a "sit up and beg" seating position, or shaft drive.

When it comes to sport touring, I want the emphasis on "sport", instead of "touring".

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I ain't no Nancy boy, I just don't like to stop for gas all the time. My fav. route to CA from CO goes past the front gate of Area 51 to Tonopah NV and it's 200 miles between gas. One of my fav. roads. I can cruise my Tri 955 at 100+ for 100 miles. On one trip my friend ran out of gas, I noticed after 20 miles he wasn't behind me so I turn around go back, find him, double back and go into Tonopah and I ran out! What a pickle! No cell phone service! A Good Samaritan saved the day, could have been bad. You can keep your small gas tank thanks.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I ain't no Nancy boy, I just don't like to stop for gas all the time. My fav. route to CA from CO goes past the front gate of Area 51 to Tonopah NV and it's 200 miles between gas. One of my fav. roads. I can cruise my Tri 955 at 100+ for 100 miles. On one trip my friend ran out of gas, I noticed after 20 miles he wasn't behind me so I turn around go back, find him, double back and go into Tonopah and I ran out! What a pickle! No cell phone service! A Good Samaritan saved the day, could have been bad. You can keep your small gas tank thanks.

100mph for a hundred miles? That sounds like a boring straight road. Why only 100 mph?

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, based on what I see people, buying fz09 as first bike and crashing very badly.
If it is 2nd or 3rd bike, it shouldn't matter.
I didn't test ride yet, so, I really can't comment.
My knowledge is just based on lurking around the forum :)
It's interesting you said that, my friend's first bike is a brand new FZ09 and he was complaining about how high his insurance premium is because everyone crashes them and then he went down last night on it while I was riding with him (he's more than fine, the bike however busted the bottom of the pan and block). But it seems to me that this statistic is extremely accurate, as I witnessed first hand!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
It's interesting you said that, my friend's first bike is a brand new FZ09 and he was complaining about how high his insurance premium is because everyone crashes them and then he went down last night on it while I was riding with him (he's more than fine, the bike however busted the bottom of the pan and block). But it seems to me that this statistic is extremely accurate, as I witnessed first hand!

One should really respect that bike.
We have a guy from our forum, came here to look for fz6, but he got fz09 and xrashedbit pretty bad, luckily he was okay and understood he needs to step down the game and stick to 600 or similar.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One should really respect that bike.
We have a guy from our forum, came here to look for fz6, but he got fz09 and xrashedbit pretty bad, luckily he was okay and understood he needs to step down the game and stick to 600 or similar.
Was it his first bike?

I know I'd love an FJ09 but I still haven't regularly maxed out first gear with my FZ6 in the almost three years owning it so I know I should not move up until I'm 110% not afraid of that power...because anything bigger would likely be that feeling all the time. I suppose a fearful respect of a bike is a good thing but if I don't use the 100% of my current bike, what's the point of going bigger. Plus I vowed this bike's well roundedness would be my last gas street bike. I'm hoping to have this until electric bikes improve to the point of ~200mi range and not be stupid expensive. I know that's a ways out still but honestly larger displacement bikes don't really entice me any, because I'm happy with great acceleration, comfort, top speed capability of 150-160mph (I heard the FJ09 only has a max speed of 115mph without ECU modding), mid to high 40s for gas mileage and cheap insurance to boot. Liter bikes and full blown super sports have much higher insurance, that awful sitting position, worse gas mileage (if my bike gets worse gas mileage than my car, I have a problem with that). Really the only thing I'm lacking is the midrange power of my friend's 2008 R6, it's wonderful. If they made a 2017 FZ6RR with that motor, I'd buy that and TRULY have the last gas bike that does everything (he and I joke about swapping one of them into my frame but the work would not be worth it, it'd be easier just to get an '08 R6 and put risers on it lol). I'm really pissed they ruined the FZ6 line with the the abomination known as the FZ6R, GSXR looks and even more gimped power. :(