Next Bike: FZ6 S2, GSX650f, or Sprint ST

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm a former FZ6 owner and current Ducati Monster owner. I'm thinking of getting a second bike as a sporty light tourer/commuter with storage and I'd like to hear your input. This is my next motorcycle short list:

'09 FZ6 - I've owned and crashed one of these before and I loved everything about it except my hands going numb after 30 minutes. Has anyone found a fix other than going to a 17 tooth sprocket? If it wasn't for the vibration, I'd already have one in my garage with a top box.
'07 Sprint ST - These occasionally come up at my price point with factory panniers at just under 30k miles. The only problem here is that I'm not wild about 550+ pound bikes. I might make an exception however for that engine, that look, and that sound.
GSX650F - If I'm getting a smaller dispacement bike I prefer light weight. At 530 pounds this is no lightweight. Still, people rave about the smooth, midrange-y engines. These crack me up because people and publications that have ridden these love them, but they're despised by forum guys that develop strong opinions from spec sheets.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with a 17T CS sprocket? Grip puppies by Grab-On definitely help, the extra cush is more comfortable in every way. What vibration? At least less then 80-85MPH, I forgot my bike vibrated or buzzed. I also own a Triumph '01 sprint, it was my GREAT long distance high speed smooth and comfortable heavy bomber until it fell over in the garage and I could not pick it up with gas running all over the floor, thankfully my brother lives less then two miles away.Luckily the water heater is electric!

Last edited:

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with the 17 tooth cs is that it pushes the manic part of the power band up to a higher speed. Heated grips don't work as well with grip puppies. If they were still available if go with Vibranators, but I'm a year late. Oh well, i can always go with heavy HVMP bar ends.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
HVMP bar ends defintely help. Also check the thread at the link below. Could have been the issue with your previous FZ.
I have an '05 (S1) and vibes are not an issue. I ride all day - my rear is sore but nothing else.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/48874-vibration-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html?highlight=cure+vibrations

This is exactly what puzzles me! My FZ6 only felt moderately vibey, but my throttle hand definitely would go numb. At the same time, a few people have spoken about the FZ6 like vibes aren't an issue.

As an aside, for the last decade only Yamaha has made a sub-475 pound (wet), 4 cylinder bike with standard ergonomics and wind protection. What's wrong with you Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki?

Jedz123

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a Suzuki GSX650F for a season. They are exceptional mountain and twisty bikes for what they lack in top end power they gain in mid range grunt. They share the same forks and suspension of the SV650. I had mine geared for acceleration. The Engine had power characteristics like a 750. MUCH better for engine breaking then the FZ6.

I actually just picked up a GSX650F, going to give a diet and plan to use it on the track.

The weight of the bike is also a perk if your looking to tour. When your blasting for +4 hours straight... The added weight and full fairing will keep you less fatigued on those big mile days.

They are very sought after... I looked high and low for one but the cheapest 08 I found was $3500... My 04 FZ6 was $1500... Same miles. I ended up on a FZ6.

If you want a great AND faster tourer. Get a gen 1 FZ1. I put over 70K on my Gen1. Faster then a FZ6 and way more comfy.

My 2 cents.