Toyota, Love them Hate them?

Toyota love hem Hate them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had a Tacoma and regular Toyota pickup, I loved them both. The Tacoma was the best!! 4x4 6cyl, ext cab...had to sell it cause of gas prices and insurance (highest in the country here in NJ). I would buy another Toyota without question.

CHeck this out for fun!

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk&fmt=18[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=793CABDF042A9514&index=1&fmt=18[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=793CABDF042A9514&index=0&fmt=18[/nomedia]

We have a 98 4 Runner and it's in great shape. It has the 2.7L 4 banger with automatic. Does everything we need and a little more.

We also have a Jeep Rubicon that we use as an everyday driver and off road. If I didn't need the capabilities of the Jeep I wouldn't hesitate in getting a Taco 4X4.

my first car was a bright yellow 71 corolla i bought off my older sister when i was 14 years old for $75 dollars.i drove it home to my parents house taped it up and painted camaro ss stripes on it with some flat black paint from a rattle can.put about 16 6x9 speakers in it and a roadmaster amplifier i bought at wal-mart for $20 bucks and i was the coolest kid in jr.high!I currently own a 2003 Toyota Tundra TRD truck.so too answer your poll yea i love Toyotas!:rockon:

I like toyota I guess, but I think the prius is the worth car ever. Also the yaris is kind of ghay.
I like honda a lot more.
But toyota is a lot better than any american auto manufacturer, I will enjoy the day they all no longer exist.

Had a 2000 Taco dark green TRD 4x4 extended cab. I loved it! The best vehicle I ever owned. I took me and the wife all all over the mountains of Utah and Colorado.

Typically excellent cars but to my eye they tend to be on the bland side. eg: Camry. Or the look blatantly Japanese in design, overly slanty headlights, etc. On the engineering side, OUTSTANDING! Also like how they can offer a full line of cars and trucks without too many models, ie: GM.

I'm a German car guy. I like the BMW 5 series, Audis A8s, the new VW CC, the new MB Cs, and of course the Porsche Carrera.

Last edited:
I bought a Toyota Celica GTS in 1984 and donated it in 2003. It was a great car.

I switched to Honda when buying new because negotiating is not as difficult since Honda has less option packages (not less options) than Toyota and dealers can't confuse you on exactly what you are getting by switching you to another car.

If I was going to buy a pickup truck, Toyota would be my first choice.

My wife had a Toyota Celica from high school until we had our second child. She loved the car, but it just was not practical anymore with a family. One day, I hope to get her another one. IMO they make great cars, but as someone else has mentioned, the interior is not as plush as other manufactures. They are a little plain.

My first car was a 76 celica I bought for $350 off one of the local drunks. I don't know how many miles it had on it because someone had ripped the instrument pannel apart and the odometer wasn't there anymore.

This car had been beat to **** by multiple owners, but the only thing I ever had to replace in what I estimate to be around 80,000 miles of use were tires, a battery, a headlight, a starter, two alternators (kragen's fault, not toyota's) and several clutch master cylinders.

I sold it to a mexican migrant laborer for $400 when I bought my dad's 86 toyota 4wd truck. Not bad!

Between my dad and I, we put over 340,000 miles on the 86 truck, and it's still seeing limited service as the family dump run vehicle and work truck around my dad's property.

I now own a 2006 tacoma pickup that I've put 82,000 miles on so far and I fully expect to get at least that much more before I buy another toyota truck. It's been excellent so far, and it was built here in Fremont, Ca., about an hour and a half from my house.

Last edited:
I bought my 1st Toyota in 1988 when Ford and Chevy wouldn't deal on a new little truck. To date, there's been an Avalon for my wife, a Previa minivan, a Tacoma for my oldest son and my current cage, a Tundra 4x4. As long as Toyota makes something I like, I'll continue with the brand. The only non-Toyotas in the family are my youngest son's '07 Mazda 6 and the '95 Mustang Cobra that we play with as a project toy.

2000 Tacoma 4x4, currently 130k miles. Battery, tires and regular maintenance so far. Leaking power steering rack or hose, haven't pin-pointed it, but that's it. Yeah, I'm happy with it.

I've got a Jeep, and hope to be getting another one soon. It's American and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm expecting 250-300,000 miles out of it before a rebuild...then another 200,000 from what I've heard from other drivers.

Yes, indeed I love them ~ I’ve only ever owned Toyota cages so I guess my answer is biased.

1st 1985 Toyota Land cruiser 4x4 second hand to 480 000km’s
2nd 1991 Toyota Land cruiser 4x4 from new to 230 000km’s
3rd 1995 Toyota Venture 2 x 4 from new to 400 000km’s
4th 2002 Toyota Hilux D/C 4 x 4 second hand to 280 000km’s
5th 2006 Toyota Hilux D/C 4 x 4 from new to 120 000km’s

No major mechanical breakdowns in over a million km’s

FZ6-ZN

While I have never owned a Toyota, I tell people that they are well built cars. My Uncle just bought an '09 Camry LE. It is his first non American brand vehicle. It is a great car. The only thing I do not like is the auto tranny, very slow to kick down and seems to have lots of shift flare at part throttle upshifts. I personally would probably not buy a Toyota, too bland and virtually no models offered with a manual tranny. I would most likely shop Honda or Nissan.

Toyota needs of offer a sporty midsize sedan with something more than a 2.4l four and a manual. A v6 Camry SE with a six speed manual and a stability control off switch would be something I would look at. But the Camry is still a car that I can tell (older) people about without hurting my conscious. And I admire their corporate structure.

You buy a Toyota (or any Jap for that matter) and you take care of it, it will last forever and will most likely have very few inexpensive repairs in its life.

Neglect it and it will still last far beyond your imagination.

Buy a domestic and you take good care of it maybe it's 50/50.

Don't maintain it and you'll be looking at an oversized paper weight in a couple years.

BUT the most important factor......................... resale value.

You buy a domestic new you are forced to keep it its entire life or you just made the worst financial decision. Buy a Jap and you can still sell it for a pretty penny in a couple years.

Well looks like I have my answer!!!! Wow never thought that many people support Toyota. I do agree with a few people on how bland some models are. Now if they brought back the Supra well you know what kind of car that was. Bland from the factory but endless aftermarket options to make it into a super car. Yet, going back to the bland, Lexus (our fancy version) makes some pretty sweet looking cars and they've got some pep too. I have a 07 Tundra Limited TRD (<Turd) myself which I am very happy with. Decent gas mileage but the kicker is the 381 ponies 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is pretty good for a 5,000 pound truck......... Yet, again thanks for all the info ....:thumbup:

Just glad this post did not lead to a all out war between the Japanese and US Automakers.................:cheer:

Can't knock the Toyota , My dad has had landcruiser's all his life for his work which takes him into quarries (drill rigs). Tough yokes and no end to them. I have a Lexus IS200 (1999) and have it since 02 , comfy and reliable.

The wife will still only drive Volvo though

My family is definitely a Toyota family. Here's what I (and my parents) have owned in the last few years:

1988 Toyota Corolla (my first car)
1997 Toyota Corolla (traded my first car in and leased this one)
1994 Toyota Corolla (bought this used when my lease was up after 2 years)
1998 Toyota Corolla (again, bought used and traded the '94 in on it)
2005 Toyota Echo (my current car, which I adore...bought it used after totaling the '98 Corolla in a wreck that wasn't my fault)

Out of all these cars, the only issue I ever had was the alternator going kaput on the '94 Corolla. Fairly easy fix, fairly inexpensive if done by a family mechanic that we use, and good as new after.

My parents have owned, or currently own:

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 (my dad's current truck)
2004 Toyota Camry SE (still have it)
1996 Toyota RAV4 (recently traded it in with 185,000 miles on the odometer. The most impressive thing to me is that the Toyota dealer we always go to gave them $3000 for it. What other brand of car would bring 3 grand on a '96 with 185,000 miles???)
2008 Toyota Prius (they traded the RAV4 in and bought this used. I love it and try to drive it whenever they're out of town on vacation and I'm taking care of their house. It's a great car!)

My girlfriend is a Honda girl and I love their cars too, but I've only owned Toyotas since I've been driving and can't ever see myself buying anything else. The quality and dependability are just too great.

Yamaha is now making the toyota engines .... because of the high build quality :rockon:

I believe they're owned by the same group, although they're not touting that to much yet.

Back