Touring on the FZ6

falconcoach22

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished 1700 miles through Colorado on my '05 FZ6 and could not be any happier. Not only was my setup more than adequate on the first try, the bike far exceded my expectations of performance at the many 11,000+ elevations.
I know there was a thread somewhere with pics of touring setups, but I cannot find it now. Thought I would throw it back out there and ask others to share their setup pics and ride reports from the summer.View attachment 37902

View attachment 37903

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My set up looks similar, minus the top mount case:

This was my 1,300 mile tour of the Blue Ridge Parkway/Smoky Mountains in 2008...I'm departing for a similar trip (1,800 miles) tomorrow afternoon!

Dscf4940.jpg

The FZ6 loves touring...seems to run smoother the longer you ride! :thumbup:

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
This is NOT my current Sarah. I sold her last December and got my ST1300. Missed her so much I bought another 2 weeks ago. I'm in the process of ordering Givi this time for Sarah.

Here is "old" Sarah with Shad bags:

ShadTopcase2.jpg

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
OP:

what type of pad is that on your seat? something you made by yourself? looks like it would be pretty comfy.

falconcoach22

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL. Yeah, the seat pad was a last minute, cheap idea. Simply a Wal Mart auto seat cushion folded over... however, the straps were perfect size to go under the seat and hold it tight. It was actually really soft. I just was worried about going that far on the stock seat.

falconcoach22

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone's setups look great! Thanks for the link to the old one, too! If you all look closely on the top in front of my top case, you will notice the knee brace.... I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus a month before the trip but decided to wait until after the ride to get a reconstruction. The crash sliders on the bike are at the perfect height and length to stretch the leg forward and get some relief when you are hurting! :>)

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL. Yeah, the seat pad was a last minute, cheap idea. Simply a Wal Mart auto seat cushion folded over... however, the straps were perfect size to go under the seat and hold it tight. It was actually really soft. I just was worried about going that far on the stock seat.

went on a short 500 mile 2-day run on my new-to-me 06 and the bike was absolutely amazing, except for the seat...it kinda sucks.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is more than adequate for touring in my opinion. My 06 has 77k km at last look as proof of that. Been to Nova Scotia, Colorado, Deals Gap a few times, and many places in between. Only touring specific mods are a Corbin seat, GPS, and Throttlemeister throttle lock. A tank bag and 60L soft tail bag and I'm good to go anywhere.

One thing is, the bike is seriously down on power at high altitude like Colorado, got great fuel economy at altitude though

Last edited:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought Motocentric Saddlebags and a large Motocentric Roll Bag. As a lover of the close out, I also use Cargo tank bag that was half off

The pictures were taken this past April on a tour of the Central Coast in California. The snow pic was on Saturday and the sunny rolling hills pic was the next day. We experienced all sorts of different weather as you can see.

On most of the tours, my FZ6 is among the smallest, engine size wise, of the touring bikes but it is more than enough.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from a week on the bike....1,856 miles in total! The FZ6 did awesome! My only complaint was the seat! My back feels great, my hind parts took a beating after the first 500 miles. :D

Fuel economy was between 50 and 57 mpg with 150 lbs of gear strapped to the back and speeds between 50 and 75 mph

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to do some long trips like that especially heading out to colorado. That imo is some of the best country in the us, but im naked, being naked hasnt stoped me from doing anything yet but im not sure how I would hold up going out for 1500+miles has anyone tried touring naked?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to do some long trips like that especially heading out to colorado. That imo is some of the best country in the us, but im naked, being naked hasnt stoped me from doing anything yet but im not sure how I would hold up going out for 1500+miles has anyone tried touring naked?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Wind protection isn't that necessary unless you are doing over 65 mph for extended periods. Stick to the smaller highways and keep it under 65 mph and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
What kinda mpgs are you guys getting with the full tour setup?

Depends alot on where and how I'm riding. I tend not to ride as hard when loaded up, so my mileage doesn't change all that much.

I got a consistent 45mpg fully loaded running 75-80mph on flat ground in Iowa a few weeks ago.

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
on my trip across the bighorns last fall, over the top then down onto the super slab, 45 mph corners to 90 mph freeway...52 mpg all the way. 2-up with some luggage.

As far as touring naked...did that for a long time on a cruiser. Its not bad once you get used to it.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
Touring? On the FZ6? Hell yes! I love having a bike that can eat up the miles, hit that 200 mile sweet spot before reserve, is narrow enough (even with luggage) to lane split and can still carve up the corners.

Myself and a friend, also a FZ6 owner, went down 101 from the Puget Sound/Seattle area (Bremerton) to San Francisco and on to Dixon then back. We hit I-5 on the way back and covered just around 900 miles in 13/14 hours. Another couple hours and we'd have had an ironbutt. The best mileage I got was 53.7 mpg.

Whether you live on the West Coast or are just visiting, I strongly encourage you to hit up 101. You go from the coasts of Washington and Oregon to the heart of California and the Redwood Forest then straight to San Francisco.

Black bike is mine-

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went on a 700ish mile couple day camping trip to the dragon last fall. My setup was fairly... strange. Everything got stuffed into a couple garbage bags, then I used some tiedown straps to hold it on. Worked great!

aefef0a4-0b96-1ddc.jpg

aefef0a4-0bae-be16.jpg

aefef0a4-0bc9-9230.jpg

Last edited: