Top yoke drop...

Johnstrat1927

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I've always ridden sport bikes for years now but recently got tired of the low clip on bars that go with them. I mostly do my riding on the road now a days and often times on long trips so clip-ons are now really tiring for me. But I still am planning on taking the bike on some track days so any track day prep advice you can give me on the FZ6 would surely be a big help.

So now I've sold my 05 GSX-R600 and decided to get an FZ6 so that I can still have that sport bike handling but without the strain on my hands, arms, legs and back.

When I got the FZ6 the bike had Shinko tires on it. The Shinko's were pretty much new when I got the Bike so I decided to leave them on the bike till they got worn out. I was surprised by how much grip the shinko's had but I noticed that the bike tipped in very slowly and I had to wrestle with it on tight chicanes just to get it to flick quickly. I figured I had to drop the yokes by about an inch to make it handle sharper. And so I did and I was quite happy with it but still isn't as sharp as my previous bikes.

It came time to change the tires and I did a little research about them Shinko's as they are very cheap and my experience on them was quite good enough. I found out that the profile of the Shinko's were really blunt and that they really affect the bikes handling making it turn real slow like what I experienced. I decided to get my usual Pirelli Corsa III's. My problem is this, How much drop can I do on the yokes to make it handle sharper for me to keep up with my fast sport bike riding buddies on the great mountain roads but keep the bike safe enough? This in relation to the Pirelli's profile as I fear that a whole inch may be too much since the pirelli's have a sharper profile.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I only know a little bit about the subject but you seem to be fairly up on this. Lowering changes the geometry and makes the head angle steeper which in turn makes the bike more likely to have hear shake. Sport bikes will have steering dampers to minimize the that problem. There are a couple of threads on this subject but most I have read think 1/4 to 1/2 inch is the max.

Johnstrat1927

Reaction score
Visit site
I only know a little bit about the subject but you seem to be fairly up on this. Lowering changes the geometry and makes the head angle steeper which in turn makes the bike more likely to have hear shake. Sport bikes will have steering dampers to minimize the that problem. There are a couple of threads on this subject but most I have read think 1/4 to 1/2 inch is the max.

Thank you very much for your reply. I guess a half inch it is then thanks again! :D