Took an R6 for a spin the other day...

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Always wanted to compare apples to oranges, and had about 40 minutes to play with an R6 (don't know what year - but conventional forks, so not too new).

Before I forget, here are some quick notes in case I ever think about getting one in the future (spoiler: I probably won't).

-Seating isn't horrible actually (OK, fine, its pretty nasty) - rearsets felt natural, and my damaged back didn't mind being stretched out - BUT (BUT BUT) my wrist were killing me after 10 mins... props to those who ride these animals all the time in the city - ya'll crazy. At the same time, maybe 2 hours would have killed my back as well - can't tell.

-Engine feels kinda like ours on the low end, but MUCH louder (nonOEM exhaust), but revs MUCH faster (8k with a flick), and one you get into midrange+ it pulls like a mother. Clearly smoother than FZ6.

-Clutch is much better - period. 1st-2nd on R6 feels smoother than 3rd-4th, etc on the fz6. No clunk whatsoever. Friction zone is very predictable - very smooth.

-Brakes were a little soft, but I am guessing because the pads weren't new/serviced. Not horrible, but I def. had to grab more than the FZ (which has newish fluid/pads).

-Handling - this is where the train goes off the tracks. Its nothing like the fz6. Its the physical geometry of the rider + geometry of clip ons - but the bike FALLS into a turn... you look at the clipon, and its on its side. Warming up the tires/swerving like the fz6 will result in a quick 45% angle (my math blows, but you get the point). This part of the bike kind of scared me the most and would need the most to get used to - BUT I could clearly see if you know what you're doing, you'll LOVE any turn.

In summary - its clearly more refined, smoother, faster, BUT not something I'd ever ride every day - and they'd be a large learning curve to get comfortable.

P.S. FZ6 felt like a cruiser w/ ape hangers after the R6 :).

Toodles!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting your experience, always enjoy hearing what others have to say about different bikes - give me more insight. Know what you mean about the riding position. Bought a CBR600RR which is similar but better rider position from what I hear - have not ridden an R6. What made my wrists hurt was two things. First the position of the leavers ment my wrists were "bent" much more than on the FZ6 and secondly the clipons were so low that I was falling over on them. Picked the bike up from the dealer and rode it home - 4 hours of riding! After two hours my left wrist and hand hurt so bad I didn't think was going to be able to make it. Stopped at a auto parts store and bought a wrench and rotated the clutch leaver forward so my hand and wrist were straighter - huge difference. Real fix was Heli bars which are very difficult to tell from stock bars but raise just enough so that I'm not falling over and can take the pressure off my wrists - over 55 there the wind will prop you up so not bad at all - if I'm having fun then I'll be tucked more and out of the wind.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Numb forearms / wrists

My previous bike was a CBR600F4, not radical by any means, but it was a real sports bike. Riding it for more than 20 minutes would give me tingly forearms and wrists every time!

I'm 6'3" tall and about 205lbs, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I'm not that big. I suppose if I was younger, it wouldn't matter as much, but I'm in my 40's now and have no desire to place that much weight on my forearms, unless I'm riding on the track. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my grouchy opinion on the matter:
Supersports (without street-friendly mods) make zero sense for street use. It's the old "right tool for the job" saying. These bikes are purpose-built for the track. They're meant to go FAST. They're meant to be ridden in an aggressive position (butt back in the seat, tucked down far enough so your elbows have a nice relaxed bend to them).
Most people who ride them on the street tend to sit closer to the tank and are as upright as possible with elbows locked out. They're trying to be somewhat comfortable, while taking away their ability to steer effectively.
The steering on these bikes is razor-sharp and completely unforgiving.
So why DO people use them on the street? My answer: because supersports are cool and the owners are cool by proxy :BLAA:

I don't mean to be argumentative and I definitely don't want to upset those who DO ride these machines on the street, but I would highly recommend taking them to the track and getting some coaching to learn and understand how these bikes are meant to be used and ridden :thumbup:

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my grouchy opinion on the matter:
Supersports (without street-friendly mods) make zero sense for street use. It's the old "right tool for the job" saying. These bikes are purpose-built for the track. They're meant to go FAST. They're meant to be ridden in an aggressive position (butt back in the seat, tucked down far enough so your elbows have a nice relaxed bend to them).
Most people who ride them on the street tend to sit closer to the tank and are as upright as possible with elbows locked out. They're trying to be somewhat comfortable, while taking away their ability to steer effectively.
The steering on these bikes is razor-sharp and completely unforgiving.
So why DO people use them on the street? My answer: because supersports are cool and the owners are cool by proxy :BLAA:

I don't mean to be argumentative and I definitely don't want to upset those who DO ride these machines on the street, but I would highly recommend taking them to the track and getting some coaching to learn and understand how these bikes are meant to be used and ridden :thumbup:

Hater! Take these supersport on the highway, that's how they are meant to be ridden!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode new one at the Demo Days just to feel it up a little! :BLAA:

Much newer than the OP (2013) ^^, power was WAAAAAAY smoother than I expected. Pulled from low (Compared to Fiz) and just kept pulling. Vibes were way less as in super smooth too. You'd never think us and them were related! If you grab a handful it has a nice punch too! Box was nice and just as described above. Not all clunky plus if drop the hammer on the clutch on the 1-2 or 2-3 the nose is up; so ah = Good power delivery! but OMG was that thing miserable to ride (as described above ^^). I'm 5.11, 32" inseam and all weight is on my wrists. In short; I just want the power plant! :thumbup: :rockon:

Hop on the R1, rider position is 10X more better << yes, I said that! But still not as plush as our sport bike. << This thing has NO place on the street. Gearing = 100mph in 1st so traffic is a day of slipping the clutch as its geared to go. Strangely the vibes came back but you get torque with it!
Didn't ride either long enough to comment on cornering ability. Both were a good experience.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
An R6 will ****ing RIP compared to the fz6. Brakes, accel, transmission, top end, chassis.

You can feel everything in these. It's like going from a camero to Ferrari.

Just picked this puppy up about a month ago....$1,600!!!

9670404834_15ed8a54b0_z.jpg

LOVE it!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
An R6 will ****ing RIP compared to the fz6. Brakes, accel, transmission, top end, chassis.

You can feel everything in these. It's like going from a camero to Ferrari.

Just picked this puppy up about a month ago....$1,600!!!

9670404834_15ed8a54b0_z.jpg

LOVE it!

That's tight! But see.. it's your track bike (perfect!!)! Would you want to ride that around town, in traffic, long group rides (300+ miles in 1 day)?

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
The best mistake I ever made was buying an R6 for the street...didn't take long before it turned into this:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

D

Deleted member 17211

I second Erci. I rode some SSs but at 6'4" they're just not comfortable.

No, wait, sorry, what I meant is I'm not cool enough to hang with the real riders. Yeah...

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thought last year when I went to a kawasaki demo event and rode the zx6r. It was fast, it was fun, it turned on a dime, but my bake was unhappy from the moment we left the parking lot. The FZ6 does everything I want right now, and it's comfortable.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
That's tight! But see.. it's your track bike (perfect!!)! Would you want to ride that around town, in traffic, long group rides (300+ miles in 1 day)?

I wouldn't want it as my only bike to do all things. But I've done a few 200 mile rides already and it was great.....all very twisty roads I know well. The fz6 is getting saddle bags and a huge tail bag and gonna do some touring.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
The best mistake I ever made was buying an R6 for the street...didn't take long before it turned into this:

Man, I need to make that "mistake." Been wondering how I can sneak another bike into the stable under the radar of the all-seeing-eye (the wife). I'll keep the FZ, and get a used R6 that will morph into a track day special. "Honey. I had to have it! It was too cheap to pass up!"

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I know is I love my R6 and it will eat many larger bikes for breakfast!

A stock R6S would be fine on the street, the newer R6Rs are pretty hardcore.

My bike is set up much tighter; ego and suspension wise than a stocker, and on the track I'm good for 30 minutes, then I'm ready for a break.

View attachment 50356

View attachment 50357