Too Much Oil?

I'm not real good on math, so if the owners manual calls for 2.96 qts of oil and you put in 3qts, that is a difference of .04 of a qt. There is 64 tablespoons to a qt. So .04 of a qt is ? Not much. I tried to convert to ml and came up with 37ml, still not enought to worry about. Just add 3 qts, change your filter every time and you should be good to go.

Doc

I think I may have put too much oil in my FZ6 when I dumped it and replaced it. I let it empty out completely from the crankcase and oil filter line and filled it back up with 3 quarts. I think it might be slightly under 3 qts but I have been unable to find a 100% "level" surface to actually test the dip stick. If it is over is there any easier way to drain the excess oil without using the drain plug? Maybe siphon it from the filler? Just asking, last time oil went everywhere >_<

Also, what are the symptoms of too much oil? What damage can too much oil do? I smell burning coming from the center of the bike but not sure specifically what it is, definately isn't anything caked on it. Too much oil = less being pumped = hotter = burning smell ? The temperature gauge didn't go above half so it's not overheating, afaik.

Thanks!

Symptoms of too much oil are pretty much non-existent in my experience. The damage can be pretty bad, though. Oil can get frothy if its level is too high, and frothy oil dies not lubricate properly. Gas pressures in the crankcase and valve area may also get high enough to interfere with normal operation. I doubt you've got anything to worry about, though. If it were 300 or 400 ml over there would be cause for concern.

As for the burning smell, like another poster said, it's probably just oil that dripped on the exhaust burning off. A while back a genius (Krid80, perhaps? Or Motogiro?) posted in an oil thread that you can drape a sheet of aluminum foil over the exhaust when changing the oil to stop that. That worked for me.

Oh, and I've had OK luck draining oil whole holding the bolt against the drain hole, and leaving the filler cap on. Cuts down on how much horizontal travel the stream achieves.

I would just loosen the oil filter and let some drain from there (don't remove it) into a pan. Tighten the filter to spec's..

Warm the bike up and let it sit for a couple of minutes before re-checking/topping off... If its still too high, loosen the filter again and repeat...

If you have a Mity Vac brake bleeder, you can vacuum some oil out thru the dip stick hole as well..

I would just loosen the oil filter and let some drain from there (don't remove it) into a pan. Tighten the filter to spec's..

Thats a great idea....why haven't I thought of that before? HAHA

And having a K and N oil filter makes that very easy to do since they have the nut on the end!;)

Back